Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 02:29 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I think the real issue is that people got all angry and political from the start, with little to no people taking any precautionary measures. If people did what they were supposed to from the beginning, Covid would've been behind us a LONG time ago.
Beyond debatable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 02:53 PM

3,484 posts, read 1,403,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Beyond debatable.
Yup, that's the problem. Everything is beyond debatable that people didn't even try. Unfortunately, success in anything is hard to achieve if people don't even try.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:34 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
I think the real issue is that people got all angry and political from the start, with little to no people taking any precautionary measures. If people did what they were supposed to from the beginning, Covid would've been behind us a LONG time ago.
I don't know if that was true here in NY at the start of the pandemic. We were the nation's hotspot at least partially due to our population density. I think for the first 3-4 months most people were ok with the precautions because we were such a mess.

After vaccinations were out then people got a bit tired of the precautions as the vaccines were marketed as being the key to contain infection. However, the virus mutated and the vaccines did not prevent transmission in the later variants.

I don't think Covid would have been behind anyone no matter what we did. Even China, with a zero covid goal and crazy precautions including locking positive patients in hotels and shutting down whole cities, was unable to make covid zero and had to give up.

The virus did what the tend to do: become less deadly and more contagious over time and the subsequent infections and immunizations build up immunity to make treatment easier and more effective.

The politics involved was why was NY still mainly locked down 12-18 months later. Why were kids being used as the reason to shut down schools when we knew from data that they were not at high risk for complications from the virus?

Even now, NYers tend to mask more than any other state.

Old 05-02-2023, 08:05 PM

3,515 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Are you implying that Covid was a hoax?
The response was a gaslighting hoax

Old 05-03-2023, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I don't know if that was true here in NY at the start of the pandemic. We were the nation's hotspot at least partially due to our population density. I think for the first 3-4 months most people were ok with the precautions because we were such a mess.

After vaccinations were out then people got a bit tired of the precautions as the vaccines were marketed as being the key to contain infection. However, the virus mutated and the vaccines did not prevent transmission in the later variants.

I don't think Covid would have been behind anyone no matter what we did. Even China, with a zero covid goal and crazy precautions including locking positive patients in hotels and shutting down whole cities, was unable to make covid zero and had to give up.

The virus did what the tend to do: become less deadly and more contagious over time and the subsequent infections and immunizations build up immunity to make treatment easier and more effective.

The politics involved was why was NY still mainly locked down 12-18 months later. Why were kids being used as the reason to shut down schools when we knew from data that they were not at high risk for complications from the virus?

And that’s where you’re wrong. Hardly anyone masks anymore here in NY. And people are out and about now and back to normal here as well. All this while Covid is still around! So how can we expect Covid to go away if people are prematurely going back to normal? We go back to normal when it’s over. Keep going back to normal when it’s not over and it will never be over. And that’s exactly what’s happening now!

Old 05-03-2023, 04:36 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post

Very early on several scientists suggested that asymptomatic carriers/spreaders meant contact tracing with Covid-19 was essentially a fools errand. They were also the first to point out that those who were vaccinated seemed to readily catch and spread Covid. They also pointed out that masking was ineffective in stopping the spread. And that schools shouldn’t close. And that Covid may have resulted from a lab leak in Wuhan, China.

But politics led bad science/bad scientists to proclaim the opposite. And stigmatize those who told the truth.

Thus far, very little in the way of apology.

Old 05-03-2023, 05:29 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
And that’s where you’re wrong. Hardly anyone masks anymore here in NY. And people are out and about now and back to normal here as well. All this while Covid is still around! So how can we expect Covid to go away if people are prematurely going back to normal? We go back to normal when it’s over. Keep going back to normal when it’s not over and it will never be over. And that’s exactly what’s happening now!
It never will be over. Covid will join the thousands of virus that will pop up periodically.
Adjust your behavior based on your risk level and its prevalence in the community. Vaccinate if you want.
That is all you can do.

Old 05-03-2023, 05:56 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
As they should be. Life goes on get over it.

As I said before COVID is never “going away” ever. Just like the common cold (which is itself a COVID type variant) never “goes away”. It’s a background virus now that we just need to deal with. No amount of mask wearing nonsense is going to change that

Old 05-03-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:

As I said before COVID is never “going away” ever. Just like the common cold (which is itself a COVID type variant) never “goes away”. It’s a background virus now that we just need to deal with. No amount of mask wearing nonsense is going to change that

No it's not how it should be. Just like any war, we don't prematurely end a fight in a war until it's declared over. The same goes for this "war" against Covid. We are prematurely ending our safety measures when we need to continue for a little longer.

You are saying it's "never going away" because it isn't due to people not doing what they are supposed to. Getting rid of Covid is easy to do provided people do the simplest safety measures to prevent any continuous spreading of the virus, which the human race has miserably failed at doing these past three years!

Old 05-03-2023, 08:18 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:

I agree life goes on get over it. The OP should do what they need to do for themselves as they see fit and not tell others how they should live or protect themselves. For those of us that want to go on living a normal life that's for us to decide. If the other person feels differently then they should stay home and never leave the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island