Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 11:27 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post

"The law is the law," Cuomo said.

This illustrates everything that's wrong with our government.

A law is the law, yes. Yet is seems that our Governor does not understand how the constitutional process works. His "orders" are mandates, orders, rules, guidelines, or whatever else you want to call them. They ARE NOT "laws."

The two houses of the legislature craft a bill. They send that to the executive branch. Once signed, it is then a law.

The executive branch does not have the authority to create "laws" on its own. Call it semantics, but it is a very important legal distinction.

It is incredibly sad that an egomaniac like Cuomo has ignored basic civics class and refers to his personal proclamations as "laws." He truly believes himself to be some kind of "benevolent dictator."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 11:54 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I want no Gov intervention ever. We should eliminate almost all Gov. That clown in Albany isn’t going to tell me How many people I can have at my house. When he pays my mortgage and taxes then he can do that. I have been wearing a mask way before the mandate! I’m not a non mask it’s not real person, The virus is real. Gov should not be telling people what they can and can’t do outside of the scope of laws that are already in place. This BS mandate isn’t a law. Even though in our politically brain dead state it would pass. I’m intentionally parking my 4 cars outside tomorrow all in my driveway and my neighbor next door has 7 vehicles. He fits them all in his driveway and garage he’s putting them in the street!
LOL isn't your wife a PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER? Sure, you want no government. Have her find a private sector job, don't use any gov't services, then let's chat. I'm in favor of small government but when people who live in Dix Hills and can't stop talking about how big their house is say things like this it really cracks me up.

Old 11-25-2020, 12:06 PM

158 posts, read 189,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
The mass protests should have been shut down during corona virus. If they did that I’d understand them being mad at people for having more than 10 people over. Andy pick and chose when to be mad and enforce the law.

If you protest it’s ok.
If you celebrate thanksgiving with your family it’s no good.

That’s why people are annoyed and mad.
mass protesters were a) outside, b) vast majority wore masks and c) when #'s were low here during the summer. it's also a constitutional right to peaceably assemble.

it's pretty simple science that walking around outside and constantly moving, with masks on; is a different scenario than several hours indoors mostly sitting in 1 place without masks on, in terms of potential virus exposure.

no one is telling you you can't have 10+ people outdoors for Thanksgiving. rent a tent and some heaters if it's that important to you.

Old 11-25-2020, 12:08 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
The mass protests should have been shut down during corona virus. If they did that I’d understand them being mad at people for having more than 10 people over. Andy pick and chose when to be mad and enforce the law.

If you protest it’s ok.
If you celebrate thanksgiving with your family it’s no good.

That’s why people are annoyed and mad.

Why can da’s pick and choose who to prosecute ? Why’s the outrage over their choices.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ins...s-2020-6%3famp
You act like nobody was arrested; NYPD arrested hundreds of people for protesting. You guys want Tiananmen Square.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-25-2020, 12:10 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,197,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Can I set up two tents in my yard with 10 people in each for Thanksgiving?
(Asking for a friend)

Only if they all wear tracking ankle bracelets.

Old 11-25-2020, 12:37 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJim3 View Post
mass protesters were a) outside, b) vast majority wore masks and c) when #'s were low here during the summer. it's also a constitutional right to peaceably assemble.

it's pretty simple science that walking around outside and constantly moving, with masks on; is a different scenario than several hours indoors mostly sitting in 1 place without masks on, in terms of potential virus exposure.

no one is telling you you can't have 10+ people outdoors for Thanksgiving. rent a tent and some heaters if it's that important to you.
Majority wearing masks? I guess you only saw clips from CNN. This is totally false.

Old 11-25-2020, 12:51 PM

1,466 posts, read 759,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You act like nobody was arrested; NYPD arrested hundreds of people for protesting. You guys want Tiananmen Square.
No one was arrested for not wearing a mask. I’m fine with people protesting peacefully believe it or not. Just condem the people not wearing masks at protests. Andy did. Except his waited until the 4th night it was setting us back in terms of progress.

If their right to protest is not affected(and I don’t think it should be affected ) by the virus how can my right to have over who I want when I want be affected ?

If your ok with the protests I can’t see how your not ok with 11 people at someone’s house.

Old 11-25-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
No one was arrested for not wearing a mask. I’m fine with people protesting peacefully believe it or not. Just condem the people not wearing masks at protests. Andy did. Except his waited until the 4th night it was setting us back in terms of progress.

If their right to protest is not affected(and I don’t think it should be affected ) by the virus how can my right to have over who I want when I want be affected ?

If your ok with the protests I can’t see how your not ok with 11 people at someone’s house.
I can't see how you're equating outdoor protests with indoor congregations.

Old 11-25-2020, 01:02 PM

1,466 posts, read 759,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I can't see how you're equating outdoor protests with indoor congregations.
Because it doesn’t make sense to me. Why can Long Island have many schools open with multiple kids in rooms with no masks eating their lunch. Why is this congregation allowed as cases are rising. But I can’t have 11 people over my house.

The argument some say is the infection rate is .18 in the schools. If that’s the case why close city schools?

We were told follow the science which I’m fine with. Until they admit they don’t follow the science and do it anyways.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...nd-covid-spike

Andy’s family was going to travel to see him. Then he realized he wasn’t following his own recommendations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ork/index.html

Old 11-25-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Because it doesn’t make sense to me. Why can Long Island have many schools open with multiple kids in rooms with no masks eating their lunch. Why is this congregation allowed as cases are rising. But I can’t have 11 people over my house.

The argument some say is the infection rate is .18 in the schools. If that’s the case why close city schools?

We were told follow the science which I’m fine with. Until they admit they don’t follow the science and do it anyways.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...nd-covid-spike

Andy’s family was going to travel to see him. Then he realized he wasn’t following his own recommendations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ork/index.html
I'm sure that the kids are distanced while eating. You think a family of 15 will maintain social distancing during Thanksgiving dinner?

This Covid has been one of the great social/mental experiments of all time. People are losing it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island