Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 08:10 AM

18 posts, read 96,163 times

Advertisements

The complexion of the world is becoming darker not lighter.

As we live in an expanding global economy, we do an injustice to our children by placing them in schools which are of a single race, religion or economic strata.

In the pursuit of higher real estate prices and exclusivity, Long Islanders have been conned into believing that school districts are better or worse. With very few exceptions they all perform competently and will get your child into a reasonable college if that is the goal of your child and family.

Just a thought, a student who knows mommy and daddy will buy their way through college regardless of their performance is less likely to try then a student who must want and earn their own education.

Keep in mind that college has become so expensive that it is making more sense to invest that money in a business. You can be assured that the majority of people in your "upscale" neighborhoods are their own boss.

Unfortunately the growing disparity between wealthy and not-wealthy is making education irrelevant for many people. If you can't afford the "in" school, you must be out. If you're out before you begin, why bother?

Shame on all Long Islanders who perpetuate the myth that any school is better than any other school. Our focus should be on making certain every child is educated to their highest capability. That every child has the ability to learn on their own and that every child can think for themselves.

What is your goal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 09:15 AM

525 posts, read 2,352,578 times
I agree 1000%. I believe today, CSH has no minorities. Certainly from K-12 when I was there there were 00000000! Well there was one african american boy great kid, all us kids befriended him immediately-we never even thought about his skin color. The parents in the district (well a select few) drove the parents out, he was only at CSH for about 2 months. SICKENING!!!!! Even in 8th grade, all of us kids knew it was WRONG and SAD and really disappointing. We just did not understand what happened! I will never, ever forget that-EVER.

But again as NYer posted, the parents in the district are very bullheaded, very concerned about what the district "looks" like. They equate 1000% school district=home value=money. Again, I state-there is always something behind the curtain, no one there wants you to see it though.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:36 AM

265 posts, read 1,549,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by very private citizen View Post
In the pursuit of higher real estate prices and exclusivity, Long Islanders have been conned into believing that school districts are better or worse. With very few exceptions they all perform competently and will get your child into a reasonable college if that is the goal of your child and family. ..... Shame on all Long Islanders who perpetuate the myth that any school is better than any other school. Our focus should be on making certain every child is educated to their highest capability. That every child has the ability to learn on their own and that every child can think for themselves.
I also agree 100%! The problem is that the whole school-district myth is now so ingrained, and is constantly reinforced by the districts themselves, that I've no idea how it can ever be "busted".

Here's a great example. My school district is one of those in which double-digit budget increases are not uncommon. Is it one of the "best" districts"? By no means. In fact it is average to slightly-above (depending on what emphasis or programs one may be looking for). The demographics of the district are, and have always been, from 93%-98% white (the other categories are Asian and Hispanic, in that order).

Whenever the school budget has been defeated on the first vote, the district, PTA, and other pro-budget groups kick into high gear immediately. Posters, flyers and advertising-trucks appear all over town with subtle and not-so-subtle scare messages ranging from "It's 3 pm -- Do you know where your children are? Pass the budget!" to (and this goes right to the heart of what VeryPrivateCitizen is saying) "Protect Our Property Values: Pass the Budget". And naturally, what happens? The revised budget, which is only a few percentage points lower than the originally proposed obscenity, passes on the revote ... thus establishing a higher base for the following year's percentage-per-home increase.

Realtors are equally to blame when they use school districts as a selling point anytime a home is in a different geographical or postal address than a "desirable" district. The listing/ad will shout "THREE VILLAGE SCHOOLS!!!!" (or whatever... btw, this is not my district, I'm just using it an as example because of its high profile on LI) so that a potential buyer will know that although the house and neighborhood may not be so appealing, at least their kids will be attending the "right" school district.

Yes it is sad and frustrating but I don't know any way that the situation can be altered.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:16 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,850,787 times
[quote=very private citizen;340892]...Shame on all Long Islanders who perpetuate the myth that any school is better than any other school. Our focus should be on making certain every child is educated to their highest capability. ...quote]
I agree with everything you said, except this bit.

Some districts are better. More teachers with higher degrees, more science labs, better music programs, lots of electives & AP, new state of the art buildings, tons of books, parents who are motivated for their children to learn, few kids with problems that drain resources.
Part of why we moved to Wake County, NC was to get away from some of this. (Notice my qualifying language, it is not nirvana here!) There certainly are lots of people here who fight economic & ethnic diversity but we do have it here.
Here there is a county wide school system, and some of the magnet schools are nationally ranked. There eare also International Baccalaureate & other specialty magnet schools.
In a nutshell, to get into them, you must test into the gifted program (for gifted magnets) or apply for a lottery for the others. That gives us better odds than on LI where you either can afford the mansion or not.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:50 AM

991 posts, read 4,620,982 times
You know someone mentioned a person that resides in CSH schools, that she was struggling because she could not afford the country clubs this is so true about most of the higher income districts. It was that way in Smithtown 30 years ago, I do believe that there are districts that cost less but do the same job educationally, East Islip, Lindenhurst to mention a few.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:33 PM

Default In my humble experience...

In my humble experience the school districts that test higher on the scale tend to have a demographic which expects their children to go on to higher education (self fulfilling expectation and results). These so-called better districts may offer a little more, but for most students it makes very little difference. Most of these "extras" seem more geared toward differentiation of the district rather than the students.

Bottom line all the great programs, equipment and facilities in the world are worthless unless the administration, teacher, parents and student are commited to sucking the marrow from the bones of the program being offered.

Students, Administrators and Teachers are like any other profession. The members of the group fall in a bell curve from awful to great, with few being at the extremes and most being somewhere in the middle. The same can be said for the districts themselves. I'm sure there are a handful of both awful and great districts, but most fall in the middle. They are in and around the competent range.

But I will say that the idea of creating 2 or 3 county districts across Long Island has the potential to significantly improve opportunities for those students who really want an education. As much as I dislike the BOCES operation, these vocation districts provide a useful service to students in need of them. Perhaps it is time for Long Island to promote county districts or expand the charter of the existing BOCES system to improve the educational experience globally.

P.S. - Many incompetent people have Masters and Doctorate degrees. A great teacher or Administrator is perfected by education not made by it. A higher degree only promises that you can learn and communicate at a certain level. It does not assure competence or greatness. Unfortunately too many people are impressed more by credentials than accomplishment.

----------------------
[quote=NYer;341642]
Quote:
Originally Posted by very private citizen View Post
...Shame on all Long Islanders who perpetuate the myth that any school is better than any other school. Our focus should be on making certain every child is educated to their highest capability. ...quote]
I agree with everything you said, except this bit.

Some districts are better. More teachers with higher degrees, more science labs, better music programs, lots of electives & AP, new state of the art buildings, tons of books, parents who are motivated for their children to learn, few kids with problems that drain resources.
Part of why we moved to Wake County, NC was to get away from some of this. (Notice my qualifying language, it is not nirvana here!) There certainly are lots of people here who fight economic & ethnic diversity but we do have it here.
Here there is a county wide school system, and some of the magnet schools are nationally ranked. There eare also International Baccalaureate & other specialty magnet schools.
In a nutshell, to get into them, you must test into the gifted program (for gifted magnets) or apply for a lottery for the others. That gives us better odds than on LI where you either can afford the mansion or not.

Last edited by very private citizen; 02-06-2007 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: Missed last part.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:28 PM

991 posts, read 4,620,982 times
very private citizen... what a great post! a family member is an administrator and has the common sense of a moth, if not less!

Old 02-06-2007, 09:31 PM

5 posts, read 19,071 times
I grew up in Middle Suffolk in Miller Place. The school district there is pretty good. The teachers used to tell us we lived in a bubble, I guess because we were in a small town atmosphere removed from the "real" world. But it was nice. Like every town in the area though it is growing up and changing. Also it was rated the 78th best High School in the country.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:11 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,937,174 times
veryprivatecitizen you are 100% right. People are SHEEP & because Newsday(which is written on 4th grade reading level BTW) says some districts are better or politicians live in certain areas (like Smithtown) they blur the truth-and people here believe it!!! I do not believe that every district that is considered 'excellent' really lives up to that. In fact I have been trying to tell people for years that it is the level of involvement by PARENTS that will achieve well educated kids. I would NEVER choose to put my children in an environment of excess & greed like CSH. I think most of those children are crippled by their parents & that money-grows- on-trees lifestyle. What are the real chances of those kids actually EARNING the income their parents or grandparents earn? They expect it HANDED TO THEM.

A national honor society student with extraordinary grades that has a well rounded lifestyle from ANY school on LI can get into any ivy league school or private school they choose. People want their less than extraordinary child to get into a great school based on the public school district reputation, well guess what? Even if it works, now you've got a kid that can't survive in that setting because they don't have the ability to learn at that level.
Put your kids in any school on LI (there are a couple that can be excluded) and be a class parent, chaperone the trips, participate in the PTA, get to know the teachers & your kid's friends, take your kid to the public library & local museums. Stop running them around to fifty activities everyday after school & sit together as a family & eat a home cooked dinner at a table, play ball with your kids on the lawn TOGETHER for FUN! Teach your kids to volunteer, have compassion & be kind.
I would bet any parent that does this in ANY district on LI gets a kid that turns out GREAT!

I want to teach my children tolerance, love and what it means to work. My kids have all the gadgets & brand name clothes, but they also mow the lawn & rake leaves.
I can't believe how unprepared the children of some parents(especially the wealthier people) are for reality. How many people on this island could survive if we had a disaster that knocked out electric, ability to get cash, fuel & other essentials? Most people here are completely dependent on industry....how very sad & have no idea have to survive as humans should....these kids are even more unable.

Stop relying on STRANGERS aka the employees of a school district to make your kid into something special!

Old 02-07-2007, 09:06 AM

My school district,

... Teaches children how to learn for themselves.
... Shows children how to order their own thoughts and problem solve reliably.
... Helps children to understand and appreciate the value of time, effort and reward.
... Focuses on constructive not destructive action.
... Promotes a win-win philosophy.
... Supports parents as they are the primary educator of each child.
... Uses testing as a mean not an end.
... Adapts to the learning style of each child.
... Is filled with people who live to teach.
... Emphasizes that virtue is its own reward.
... Is an important core of our community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island