Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 01:35 PM

525 posts, read 2,350,985 times

Advertisements

I think NYer is right on target with the post. Again, having no children means no inside scoop, and all I was sharing is what I heard around town, on the sidewalks, in the stores, at the restaurants, etc.

I agree that a lot of folks give up a lot for the education of their children, for which they should be admired and applauded! While not offering much help, I am thrilled that this discussion has re-affirmed your decisions and has made you feel better

Enjoy the weekend and your family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 06:54 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Our kids go to Catholic here in Suffolk County. Most of the kids move onto St. Johns in West Islip for high school.

From what we can tell, the Catholic schools are about a year ahead of our public school (longwood). Its not the snob appeal at all; I jsut want my kids to be educated and it seems as if the public schools out here arent doing a great job.
dorothy

Old 02-02-2007, 07:41 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,303 times
Default best school; district...

I would like to add something so important to this topic, Last night my district kicked off parents as reading partners, they held it at our public library, the sad thing is that only about 30 children or so showed up. It is time that parents got more involved that is what I think is part of the problem. I reside on a cul de sac of about 50 houses, not one of my neighbors attended. I asked my son where was his friend, he said he did not know about it, how could they not, when about 4 informational fliers were sent home? When i got home all of my neighbors cars were outside there houses. Children have parties and practically none of the children come, and even worse 3/4 of the parents do not respond. I could go on and on, but are we not letting our kids down in some way? The High School principal said himself there is no school pride is that not a shame? In short what I am trying to say is that if the communities that are not considered to be the best, maybe if we all just tried to make it a better place just a little bit maybe most of the schools would see higher scores.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:23 PM

4 posts, read 22,696 times
I have twins entering Kindergarten in the fall. We are in Smithtown and they will attend Smithtown Elementary. My wife and I have been doing some research and I stumbled across the CSH School district and we are considering moving from Smithtown to CSH to get them into that school district. I love the Idea of my kids attending a smaller more nurturing school. The online information for the Goosebery center and the Loyd Harbor Elementarty school looks wonderful. I've heard that Smithtown schools are very good but the statistics dont show it as being exceptional in my opinion.

Does anyone have any experience with either of the two districts on the elementary school level as far as how they prepare you for Junior high/ High school.

Is CSH as good as it seems? I'm a little worried that my kids stand more of a chance of of getting lost in the shuffle at a larger school. CSH seems to really put the focus on the kids and an advanced acedemic approach, at least as far as their web site goes. Do they live up to their claims?

Why does Smithtown get such a good reputation when their stats and ratings are only mediocre?

Also, does anyone know what the boundry line is for kids in CSH to go to West Side or Loyd Harbor Elementary School?

I went to school in Brentwood so I'm not familiar with how the better schools in Suffolk work. We are not rich but I could manage to get into CSH on the low end (just under 1 Million). I'd have to go for a smaller house than I have in Smithtown, for more money but I'd like to provide the best possible education for my children and give them a better start than I got.

Do you think the switch from Smithtown to CSH would be worth it?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by TwinDadSmithtown; 02-03-2007 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: re worded something

Old 02-04-2007, 08:22 AM

Well, I went to East Side (the school on Goose Hill Road), which closed, and the students were split between West Side and Lloyd Harbor-I went to LLoyd Harbor for sixth grade........but that was more than 30 years ago. I also owned in Huntington for the last 11 years. I am not sure how relavent my experience would be, but if you are interested let me know. i did post some things on CSH earlier in this post, take alook.

As far as boundries for West Side/Lloyd Harbor-my guess is the area splits in the town of CSH (this is how they split us) If you are familiar with the town of CSH, I believe the line is somewhere West of the town, but east of the CSH Labs. Remember that Laurel Hollow and Route 108 (the connect to Woodbury Road from 25A) is in the CSH district and goes to West Side. Also, all of Woodbury Road, and Snowball I think it is? is ALSO CSH District in spite of being close to Huntington HS. We lived just East of the town of CSH and I went to Lloyd-I believe all the houses south of the town (up on the hills overlooking the town and behind the HS) also went to Lloyd. BUT, they may have changed the lines to balance the load. Lloyd Harbor, Lloyd Neck, and the Goose Hill Road/Huntington Road area is large, and I believe a lot of families are in the area, equaling a lot of children going to Lloyd, so they may have moved the line east to shift more to West Side.

Anyhow, if you want more specifics, ask away-my folks still live in CSH so I do know a bit, but I was the last child in the sysytem, so again I was out of CSH more than 20 years ago~!

Last edited by JustSayNo; 02-04-2007 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: More info

Old 02-05-2007, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 22,696 times
Hi, Thanks for replying. I did read your earlier posts regarding not choosing the school for the stats and that a lot of politics is played to keep the numbers looking good. Gave me some cause to stop and think.

Since you dont have kids in the district I'd like to ask a couple of questions regarding the general area and one or two realted to when you went to school there.

First, how do you like the town of CSH it's self. I've driven thru and around it a little bit. The town it's self, the little part on 25a, seems to be a couple of usless touristy shops. Is there another part that is more useful? or do you do your shopping/eating out moslty in Huntington village etc? Is there any public access to the water north of 25a or is all owned, private property. do CSH residents get access to a private beach or boat morings? I saw something about being able to "join" a beach club if you are in a certain area code. Do you know how that works, is it very costly? Imena after you go to teh whaling museum and to the new library a couple of times, is there any thing else there that you get use of as a CSH resident?

Also, how do you find the peopel who live in the more moderate side, south of 25a, up near the High School. Are people pretty decent freindly, or is it all keeping up with the Jones?

Back when you where in School, did you find a drastic divide between the ultra wealthy and the 'regular kids'. Was it painfully cliquey? If so did you notice it in Elementary school as well as Highschool? Did it manifest it's self with the teachers as well? I think you mentioned that if you were a 'B' student, you were not paid attention too. Again I realize this was twenty years ago, I'm 42 myself, and understand how things were back then. I'm looking for an environment for my kids where the teachers will be there for the kids as long as the kids are trying to make the cut and the parents are behind them. Even in Brentwood, the better students got more attention, if you got stoned between periods and slept in the back of the classroom the teachers pretty much left you alone. Was that the case in your experience as well or is it more of a situation where the teachers cater to the ultra wealthy kids.

Like I said, I have know idea how it works. Just looking for some insight. I like the idea of the smaller schools and the curriculum for the Loyd Harbor Elementary school really looks good, as long as it's applied fairly to all the students that come thru the system.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:26 PM

Well, here goes. CSH town, the general north shore rule of "stay North of 25A" as bad as that sounds to many, we all know each area has its own set of "rules" does NOT apply in CSH. CSH proper really consists mostly of South of 25a-towards the high school, behind the HS to Lawrence Hill road and I think basically down Rt 108 all the way to Woodbury Road. It also is all of Goose Hill Rd- to the right on Huntingon rd until you hit West neck Rd. and to the left on Huntington Rd which than runs into Lloyd Harbor to the right (which connects back to West Neck Rd) or if you go straight you get back to Shore road on Cold Spring Harbor (the body of water). I know, so confusing but look at a map, or mapquest and you will follow this quite well. So while it seems large, us old school CSHers really consider CSH the area surrounding the town proper (don't tell Lloyd Harbor folks that-they really are in Huntington though they don't admit it)

So, south of 25A in CSH really is the typical CSH, so there is no stigma there (I will go further into that later) Growing up there was great-samll town, back than we walked to each others houses, walked to school, played in the streets basically. But long ago, would not reccomend that now for your babies People drive FAST, the KIDS drive FAST, and people do not pay attention as is the norm on LI these days

The town, that IS TOWN. Huntington is CSH's town. As a child living close to town (between town and the Turkey Lane entrance to the school) having the town WAS great.......we would walk to down, go into the shops, buy some candy, go to the deli, and sit in the park. But the town, aside from the few restaurants and the PO and the deli, will not be useful to you. But Huntington is about 5 minutes away so no biggie there. The real activity in CSH is the beach. The only public/but private access there is at Eagle Dock-the place you mentioned you could join in the right zip code. About 5 years ago it was $300/season. It has probably upped a bit. BUT, we lived at the beach all summer. Drop off in morning pick up at evening. Really a great childhood back then. Otherwise, the Beech Club right next to Eagle Dock, or the Bathh club in Llyod Harbor next to West Neck Beach. (I think that is the way it goes, otherwise switch the Beach and Bath)West Neck Beach you can get a sticker for ($25/season a few years ago) More crowded, longer drive-Eagle Dock is your best bet if you will live near town. Public access on the North Shore is basically non-existant as you know already. But, between Eagle Dock and West Neck you CAN have acess easily and much cheeper than joining a club.

Keeping up with the Jones.......First, I think this is everywhere in every town now so it is a bit hard. I do know that my folks walk every day and know lots of residents as they stop to see every dog on the route. There are A LOT of Nannys, not many Mommys out with the youngins eventhough there are mostly one-income families. Again, a general statement-I don't know anyone who owns there anymore except the folks. People are as friendly as they are elsewhere. I can assure you though, if you are driving a old clunker, or your house is not well-maintained, you WILL get looks, dirty ones at that. There is an attitude that comes with CSH-but no worse than any other area that is considered "affulent". You probably run into the same thing where you are now, so I leave that up to you. NOW, within the adults in CSH-LLoyd Harbor and Neck did, and still do, look "down" on the CSH-proper residents. Mom and I were just talking about it the other day. She said it was pretty bad when I was young. CSH was for the "less affulent" where Lloyd Harbor and Neck were for the old-money, blue blood, came over on the Mayflower. Obviously the residents are different now, though many families pass down the homes. I would assume, and hope, the younger generation has changed their status attitude by now, but I would not bet much on it just based on the attitude in general.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:27 PM

The School. When I was there, the kids were basically cool and a bit clueless on the have's and have nots. That has definately CHANGED for the worse now. (based on what I hear children saying in public with their loud mouths)
In my day, we had several families that obviously struggled, but us kids did not really judge based on that. Sure, the cool jeans and sneekers, but you were not called out for not having a rich daddy. Cliques were cliques like anywhere-the smart ones, the athletes (VERY big in CSH), the rich, not-so-smart ones, the stoners, the bullies, the pick-on ones, and a big group of non-classifieds. BUT all the groups intermingled very well and it was for the most part a peaceful and "safe-feeling" place. The class size ROCKS. Small class size ment you knew everybody in your grade, and in the HS. Jr. High kind of stuck to itself. Every teacher knew every student. Sports was, and is, everything there-and it created a bridge between all students of all groups. Now, every senior had a car, juniors too but could not park at the school. Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, new Mustangs, jeeps, Audis...well that was about all you saw except for the teachers' cars. Again, that has NOT changed. That is up to you regarding that aspect. Academics-well again, if you are AP or accelerated you are very well guided. Below average, lots of help and guidence to get on track. Average student, well you did OK so you were OK. I think you know what I mean.

Basically, CSH is a little bubble, a bubble in which you are protected, get everything you want, and where you do not know what it is like to be without.

Some of us grew up and actually became real people, that learned the value of work and a buck, and how to become useful adults. MANY in my class did NOT. They have not chaged on 30 years, they still wander around, riding on Daddy's money and waiting. Sure, they all went to college, but did not get an education. They work, but they don't "work". I think you get it.

I think it comes down to the individual PARENTING. I was not given everything, I was taught early to help others, not take things for granted, and not to look down on, or pick on, others. A lot of kids did not have parents, they had a Mom and Dad that they did not really know except for the wallet. VERY sad, yet they had the best of everything, anything, all but good, solid, caretaking and teaching parents. Too busy working, or going to the clubs, or shopping, playing tennis etc. The adults were living the good life and ignoring their kids.

OK, enough to digest, PHEW. Ask away, I will answer what I can.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:46 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
You really hit the nail on the head, Just Say No. I have a friend who struggled to move there. Now she is happy, BUT... the house is just the 1st expense. Many people belong to the private clubs, which you must be invited to join. Sometimes she gets invited for lunch or skating, but, she is not a member. Also, she HAS to work, so that puts her out of the loop a bit. Teh vacations these people go on are amazing, but not my friend. Maybe 2x a year. (Don't flame me people, this is HER life!)
PTA is a rip. They all sit around & take turns saying what they want for the school and then that thing is purchased! What a trip! Any book, computer, science supply, they get it. Her kids are happy, but she is a bit uncomfortable. She spends lots of time with the old crowd back down in Huntington!
So, if you can afford teh lifestyle (not just the house) there is a lot to recommend CSH.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:06 AM

Ah, NYer, you tell your friend from ME not to let the place get her down! Her babies are happy, and will get a good education, and that is WHY she moved. Tell her to ignore the goings on with the ladies, at the clubs, at the salons, at Talbots. I think she is way better off sticking with her friends from Huntington-afterall they are her REAL friends. She does not have to be in the "cool" crowd of parents for her children to get the most out of CSH!

As she will attest, it is sometimes hard for the young ones to see other young ones with everything of anything, ah yes vacations are a BIG status thing in CSH, as well as everything else. But overpriced vacations, cars, and clothes, do not a good parent make! I always told my Husband that there are two sides to CSH-the shiney and special side that everyone sees, and the dark, reality side that no one sees. Families in CSH have the same problems that everywhere else has-they just don't want anyone to know. In my day, we had plenty of abusive parents, alcoholic parents, cheating parents, etc. Kids would come in with no sleep, bruises, and the like. The trappings of CSH are just as bad as they are good, just like anywhere else in the world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island