Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 03:09 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,529 times

Advertisements

Oh NYer, Hunington HS is NOT in a bad area-granted it is south of 25A, but north of the true Huntington Station. The station does have some problems, but there is a Suffolk PD outpost smack in the middle on NewYork Ave. South Huntington is a different HS, has nothing to do with with Huntington HS.

Again, without children I have never been in the halls of the HS, but there really are not many gang problems.

Now, the wealthy kids, well in my day they WERE the problem-Mom and Dad always BOUGHT them out of their trouble (and they usually showed up with a new german car the next day as punishment ) They NEVER knew consequences nor the word NO. I know many of these people as adults.......and they never changed......Still screw ups with tons of money and no sense of real life just waiting for their inheritance-I kid you not-in Hunt/CSH that is a job in and of itself-I heard so many times "I don't need a career or serious job, I am just waiting for the folks to croak" I am not being dramatic, just honest.

Anyway, indeed the money in the pockets of the kids is the problem in that area. It always will be, much more than gangs form my almost 40 years in the area experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 03:52 PM

40 posts, read 184,218 times
The only 2 cents I have to offer is this:
1) I "believe" Longwood has a poor reputation because it is more diverse. I was an outsider (transplant), and from what I gathered in talking to many many people, it was the make up of the student body that gave it the reputation.
2) My kids went to Rocky Point Schools. The music dept is TO DIE FOR. The organization of concerts makes it something parents long to attend (compared to the non talent of our current music teacher and children, sitting on bleachers, or standing room only, listening to the ENTIRE group of kids taking any type of instrument, YAWN!!!) Mr Knapp is a bit of a strange fellow, if he's still at the intermediate school, but he's talented and so are the high school orchestra and band teachers. The kids so totally ROCK at those concerts!!! Believe me, you won't find it outside of NY at any public school that even comes close to comparing.
3) I've heard mediocre things about Rocky Point, aka "Rocky Joint", I know alot of bomb threats went on last yr.
4) Rocky Point also has a few bonuses you won't find anywhere else. World famous (really) bakery. St Patty's Parade, and a very active veteran population which was helpful during my husband's deployment- the school nurse took my children under her wing and totally supported us through her contacts with the local VFW.
5) Ran into only a handful of lousy teachers- 3 to be exact... truly lousy, not just a disgruntled parent here. There are lousy people in every profession and in every town. Overall, I was pleased with the middle school as well. I absolutely HATED the principal. He's a cocky little man who doesn't much like suggestions from parents on how to better run a program (ie. not releasing ALL children from an assembly at the same time for them to scatter like roaches, leaving parents to hunt them down between middle and high school hallways and classrooms- absolutely no organization there), nor does he like a parent who can kill him with logic... but he isn't someone you'd necessarily HAVE to deal with anyway.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:43 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
Oh NYer, Hunington HS is NOT in a bad area-granted it is south of 25A, but north of the true Huntington Station. The station does have some problems, but there is a Suffolk PD outpost smack in the middle on NewYork Ave. South Huntington is a different HS, has nothing to do with with Huntington HS.

Again, without children I have never been in the halls of the HS, but there really are not many gang problems.
The person asking the question has a child about to enter kindergarten, so, her child will be going up through the system, and some of those schools are not in the best areas, like, one of the middle schools, for instance. Plus, as you know, they often change assignments, creating kindergarten centers, then nixing that plan; kids do get moved about.
If you have never been in the halls of the HS how do you know what goes on there?
I brought up S Hunt because the troublesome part of Huntington Station is split, and the kids from there go to both districts.

Also, it is not the police on NY avenue that protect the kids in the high schools, it is the ones assigned to the buildings.

Finally, a good reason to tour the schools is because location isn't everything, because of bussign patterns. If, for instance, your child is going to elementary school in Huntington Bay, you should not assume that her fellow students will be from Huntington Bay. You should assume something quite different.
None of what I have wwritten is meant to discourage the pp from sending her child to Huntington schools. Rather, she should educate herself abou thtem by visiting. (then join the PTA!)

Old 02-01-2007, 06:07 PM

Nyer, I know what you were saying and I appologize if my un-intended tone sounded like tone! I was responding to bb mommy who has children in the school district right now and was asking why Huntington was getting a bad rap. I strayed off the OP's question.

Anyhow, I know the outpost does not protect the children at the high school, I offered that as an example that the station has improved in the last 10-years as it was only put in about 5-7 years ago and I was not sure how long you had been off the Island.

And I agree 1000% that busing is everything and that the amount, and mix, in elementary schools in the district changes and moves.

Again, I was not disagreeing with your post, just clarifying what I think the REAL issue is, which is the districts that surround Hunt. are not diverse and smaller, which makes them think, and convey, that they are superior to Huntington.

It's all good NYer-I very much respect your opinions and posts and contributions to the board in general

Old 02-02-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
Again, I was not disagreeing with your post, just clarifying what I think the REAL issue is, which is the districts that surround Hunt. are not diverse and smaller, which makes them think, and convey, that they are superior to Huntington.

It's all good NYer-I very much respect your opinions and posts and contributions to the board in general
Right back at you - I enjoy your posts too! Don't mean to argue either.
I am in NC but my friends & family still live & work there, in the schools, hospitals & courts, etc.
I think that what is wrong is that the town has 7 (count 'em- 7 school districts)
Only 2 bear the burden of the lower classes. Only 2 have section 8 housing & tons of students needing bilingual education.
Yet those lower income residents mow the lawns, clean the toilets, prepare the food, and do all the other types of work that the Entire town uses to function, and it is fundamentally unfair. It just kills me how those in the "nicer" parts of town say those in Hunt & S Hunt are "racist", etc. when they complain about things in the schools. One town, 1 district... imagine it. Imagine if all those resources were shared fairly....

Old 02-02-2007, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 7,304 times
What about eatern suffolk county?

Old 02-02-2007, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 17,916 times
Hi!

I live in Huntington school district 3. Many families here send their kids to St. Patricks School. Besides it being a Catholic school I am curious to hear if anyone has heard anything about how this school compares acedemically with other smaller "private" public schools in the area such as Cold Spring Harbor and Harborfields etc.?

Old 02-02-2007, 11:09 AM

NYer-I hear ya! The actual town of Huntington is HUGE, and I mean the town lines/tax base. But, everyone thinks of the town of Huntington as the town in between CSH and Centerport! And remember, CSH is in the Town of Huntington, yet no one likes to think that way because they have there own police (2 cars) and their own post office Hey when I was little I did not know my town was actully in Huntington-ah the innocence of babes

Anyway, I agree that if you do your own yard work, or have a non-white collar job in Huntongton, well than you are just odd or "poor". The service people I have had to my home in the 11 years there have told me some incredible stories that just dumbfound me-like not letting them use bathrooms, pointing them to the outside faucet for water, not looking them in the eyes when speaking, or not thanking them for doing the job!!

It just astounds me that people can be so uncaring towards others, so selfish and downright mean. Hell, I say anybody who works, does a good job, takes care of a family, etc. is JUST as good as I am, if not better in some cases! It is a shame really because we all do something to fill need, and just because I sit in front of a computer and someone else trims trees or fixes furnaces, does not make me more worthy of respect! Oh well, WAY off topic.

To nicemom, I can't give you any insight into St. Patrick's, I know many CSH families send to St. Pat's though. I don't know how better of worse they compare to CSH and HF. I think, again, the decision is partially made by "how it looks to others." It is more money, as you pay school taxes and than tuition, an I have heard over the years many Mom's brag that "THEIR children go to St. Pats, eventhough they are paying twice esentially-but that is what husbands are for!"

I am sure some folks with children may have some true insight for you.

Be well all, and remember ther are more to the schools than just the numbers and stats-a lot hides behind the School Boards, the homeowners, and the politics!

Old 02-02-2007, 11:24 AM

According to my friends who have been long time parents there, St. Pat's is great in the younger grades but at middle school level you will find - not as many electives, not as strong athletics. It is a safe, nurturing, Christian environment. My friends liked it a lot, but many would head to district schools or East Woods or Lu High at 6th or 7th grade level. Those who stayed wanted a smoother transition to St. Anthony's, St. Dominic's or Chaminade.
Not eveeryone there is rich- the rich ar well represented but there is a sizeable contingent coming in from Huntington Station, from middle class families who give up a lot to give that education to their kids.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 17,916 times
Wow! Thanks so much for replying! I agree with both of you 100%. i guess we all do the best we can for our kids. I really appreciate hearing what you thought. I feel better about my choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island