Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 07:51 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
100% it absolutely does and that's just that.
You’re not wrong about that but, selling a house in the future for Amityville schools might not be an easy thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 12:00 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
"Nassau probably has a little more prestige...

Really. Let's see...Roosevelt, Hempstead, Levittown, Uniondale, Elmont, Freeport,Westbury, Valley Stream, much of Long Beach,Island Park parts of Pt. Washington and Great Neck.

Setauket, Old Field, Stony Brook, Huntington, Smithtown, Poquot, Cold Spring Harbor, Mt. Sinai. Port Jefferson, Sayville.

There are good and bad in BOTH COUNTIES.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:28 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Nobody cares about what areas the census has designated or why. School districts are king, followed by village boundaries, postal borders and then all the rest.
Most of the highlighted area in Smash55's pic is Massapequa SD.

I grew up in Massapequa, and the accepted definition of East Massapequa was east of Nassau Shores/Carman Rd. It wasn't until the internet age that I found out that much of what was considered Massapequa is officially called East Massapequa.

If the OP is going by the official census definition, then much of what they refer to as "East Massapequa" is actually in SD23, and not Amityville schools.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:53 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,166,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Really. Let's see...Roosevelt, Hempstead, Levittown, Uniondale, Elmont, Freeport,Westbury, Valley Stream, much of Long Beach,Island Park parts of Pt. Washington and Great Neck.

Setauket, Old Field, Stony Brook, Huntington, Smithtown, Poquot, Cold Spring Harbor, Mt. Sinai. Port Jefferson, Sayville.

whatever, post not about that. Let's focus

Old 07-12-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
You’re not wrong about that but, selling a house in the future for Amityville schools might not be an easy thing.
agree and even the brokers state this as it's just honest at this point. I probably don't care about selling and this fact though. This is my last purchase and I'll never sell again (personal reasons). Thanks all.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:52 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:

Good God, should I list parts of Suffolk you may not like?

For the record I live in Suffolk and I like living in Suffolk. I like being farther from the city.

But regardless, notice I said a LITTLE. YOU may not agree with it but there are people who believe Nassau, for whatever reason, is a little more upscale then Suffolk.

Whether it is because Nassau has a higher median income, higher housing prices, closer to the big city, or simply a more finished look to the neighborhoods like sidewalks and being fully sewered, SOME PEOPLE value those things.

Last edited by LINative; 07-12-2020 at 06:08 PM..

Old 07-12-2020, 06:04 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
Most of the highlighted area in Smash55's pic is Massapequa SD.

I grew up in Massapequa, and the accepted definition of East Massapequa was east of Nassau Shores/Carman Rd. It wasn't until the internet age that I found out that much of what was considered Massapequa is officially called East Massapequa.

If the OP is going by the official census definition, then much of what they refer to as "East Massapequa" is actually in SD23, and not Amityville schools.
This seems to have become a problem as Long Island developed people tried to find official boundaries for the hamlets". Some of these people don't seem to have consulted local people about where they live but just made boundaries on a map, probably in some office.

I had an argument with Walter regarding Lindenhurst (and also I believe Northport). Venetian shores is considered to be part of Lindenhurst but because it is outside the village some brainiac out in Riverhead placed it in West Babylon "Hamlet". Meanwhile the residents, the US Post Office, the Lindenhurst SD and the Town of Babylon also say Venetian Shores is in Lindenhurst.

But Walter insisted we use the Suffolk County planning maps made out in Riverhead.

Something similar might be in regards to Massapequa and East Massapequa. Because the incorporated village of Massapequa Park cut Massapequa into two sections, the brainiacs decided that anything east of the village must be East Massapequa regardless of what local residents were doing.

That might be why Massapequa High School might show on a map today as being in East Massapequa but the high school itself still has an official address as 4925 Merrick Rd, Massapequa, NY 11758.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:20 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,412 times
I miss Walter, he was so obsessive about boundrys it was insane but he knew how to get his point across

I grew up in Massapequa, west of carmans rd north of the sunrise mall. It was in the Massapequa school district, the Massapequa fire district but the Post Office was Massapequa Park 11762 even though it was well outside the Village boundarys

My Dad tryed several times to get a Village parking permit for the RailRoad but they were wise to the address problems

Long Island is crazy when it comes to boundary's

Old 07-13-2020, 06:18 AM

I guess east massapequa has more stores, restaurants than Lindenhurst which is a plus. Both are a hike to southernstate and LIE but Lindenhurst seems to have better schools, always important when buying.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:15 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:

Really let’s see...Wyndanch, Riverhead, Brentwood, north Bay Shore, Copiague, North Amityville, Shirley, Mastic, Mastic Beach, parts of deer park, parts of north Babylon, parts of port Jefferson, north bellport, huntington station...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island