Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 10:44 AM

22,197 posts, read 19,487,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
How so?

Walter Greenspan who was a long time poster who passed away several years ago often posted about communities on Long Island aren't always what we think they are. He explained it better than I could going into detail about Hamlets, villages, zipcodes, etc, but the main point was where we think a community boundary is, often is different from the technical boundary.

East Massapequa for example is often though of the areas to the east of Carmans that is in the Amityville school district. However, the actual boundary of East Massapequa goes further west in most areas. Below is what is actually East Massapequa according to the U.S Census.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 12:14 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,854,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Walter Greenspan who was a long time poster who passed away several years ago often posted about communities on Long Island aren't always what we think they are. He explained it better than I could going into detail about Hamlets, villages, zipcodes, etc, but the main point was where we think a community boundary is, often is different from the technical boundary.

East Massapequa for example is often though of the areas to the east of Carmans that is in the Amityville school district. However, the actual boundary of East Massapequa goes further west in most areas. Below is what is actually East Massapequa according to the U.S Census.
Nobody cares about what areas the census has designated or why. School districts are king, followed by village boundaries, postal borders and then all the rest.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:22 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,268,294 times
Default East Massapequa vs Lindenhurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
pros cons, good, bad? Comparing the two, same price house, taxes a bit less in L... Both seem nice.
First of all, it strongly depends on what part of "East Massapequa" you are talking about. Part of East Massapequa is in the Massapequa school district while part of it is in the Amityville School district. The ASD part used to be called West Amityville and you can still see the old name on certain maps. I am guessing they dropped the West Amityville to pick up the East Massapequa name.

Anyway, this may or not be a factor to you but Lindenhurst is a better school district than Amityville.

Second, Lindenhurst has a LIRR train station and a good one with village only parking. East Massapequa has no station but might be able to use the Massapequa station (or maybe Massapequa Park) but I am not sure? That is something you should check out even if you don't plan on taking the train for now - you never know.

Finally, East Massapequa is in Nassau while Lindenhurst is in Suffolk. This may or may not matter to you but Nassau probably has a little more prestige if you care about that sort of thing.

Old 07-11-2020, 01:25 PM

111 posts, read 108,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
First of all, it strongly depends on what part of "East Massapequa" you are talking about. Part of East Massapequa is in the Massapequa school district while part of it is in the Amityville School district. The ASD part used to be called West Amityville and you can still see the old name on certain maps. I am guessing they dropped the West Amityville to pick up the East Massapequa name.

Anyway, this may or not be a factor to you but Lindenhurst is a better school district than Amityville.

Second, Lindenhurst has a LIRR train station and a good one with village only parking. East Massapequa has no station but might be able to use the Massapequa station (or maybe Massapequa Park) but I am not sure? That is something you should check out even if you don't plan on taking the train for now - you never know.

Finally, East Massapequa is in Nassau while Lindenhurst is in Suffolk. This may or may not matter to you but Nassau probably has a little more prestige if you care about that sort of thing.
LOL in what way does nassau have more prestige?

Old 07-11-2020, 01:44 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,169,132 times
^ I found that statement to be hilarious too.

Nassau County ...Aka Queens #2

Old 07-11-2020, 02:38 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,168,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post

Yes and east massapequa = Amityville schools which are ? eh I guess.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longislandguy7545 View Post
LOL in what way does nassau have more prestige?

100% it absolutely does and that's just that.

Old 07-11-2020, 03:09 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,169,132 times
With that mentality do yourself a favor and stay in Nassau then.

Quote:

Old 07-11-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
With that mentality do yourself a favor and stay in Nassau then.

I'll do what I want, thank you. you may have the mentality (along with others obviously) we don't. Stay where you are.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:34 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,335,228 times
Quote:
Dix hills Suffolk. 500,000,000 times nicer than the area your looking at in Nassau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island