Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 08:59 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,802,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
How about the baseball players that will be coming in from all over, especially Florida and Arizona? 14 day Quarantine will not allow them (only those coming from the states that Cuomo named) to start spring training on 7/1. Exceptions for them anyone????
Baseball players are exempt from the quarantine.

Also:

The schedule itself has not been released but, in earlier discussions of the matter, MLB suggested that it would toss out the traditional American and National Leagues in favor of three 10-team divisions based on geography. Teams would only play against the other clubs in their division so as to limit travel. Those plans were came to light in late April and early May, of course, so whether that is still the plan remains an open question. We’ll likely hear more in the near future.

Last edited by peconic117; 06-25-2020 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 08:59 AM

2,694 posts, read 2,352,221 times
Quote:
School as you know it will never happen in September even if only due to the bus situation. They have to be careful with the closeness of the students so they will need to stagger the day unless they plan to keep them on home remote learning.
my wife is a teacher, based on size of avg classroom it can be max 8 students. They need space for the "wrong day" kids. Its inevitable that parents will send there kid on the wrong day because they need to go to work and have no child care. It's not going to work.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:21 PM

13,069 posts, read 18,232,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Baseball players are exempt from the quarantine.

Also:

The schedule itself has not been released but, in earlier discussions of the matter, MLB suggested that it would toss out the traditional American and National Leagues in favor of three 10-team divisions based on geography. Teams would only play against the other clubs in their division so as to limit travel. Those plans were came to light in late April and early May, of course, so whether that is still the plan remains an open question. We’ll likely hear more in the near future.
Yes, that is exactly what I was saying. Now, I admittedly play by the rules. So, if ball players that are making millions want to play ball, OK. We know no high fives or celebrations etc. I am more concerned about the people that work for the teams. There will be equipment people and groundskeepers and security etc. What about their safety. What about the people these players will come in contact traveling to the "new" Spring Training. Greed pure greed and I am a baseball fan.

This is going to be, of necessity, an asterisk season anyway, why not skip it for the benefit of all. No fans are allowed so no ticket sales to be lost, they are already being applied to next year or returned (minus fees, I am sure).

Old 06-25-2020, 01:10 PM

5,098 posts, read 3,992,835 times
Quote:
Yes, that is exactly what I was saying. Now, I admittedly play by the rules. So, if ball players that are making millions want to play ball, OK. We know no high fives or celebrations etc. I am more concerned about the people that work for the teams. There will be equipment people and groundskeepers and security etc. What about their safety. What about the people these players will come in contact traveling to the "new" Spring Training. Greed pure greed and I am a baseball fan.

This is going to be, of necessity, an asterisk season anyway, why not skip it for the benefit of all. No fans are allowed so no ticket sales to be lost, they are already being applied to next year or returned (minus fees, I am sure).
During the five week return of the Bundesliga (plus 2 preceding weeks of training) to the major cities of Germany, zero (0) of the players, coaches, trainers, owners, doctors, groundskeepers, scorekeepers, bus drivers, or mascots have died from Covid -19.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:26 PM

13,069 posts, read 18,232,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
During the five week return of the Bundesliga (plus 2 preceding weeks of training) to the major cities of Germany, zero (0) of the players, coaches, trainers, owners, doctors, groundskeepers, scorekeepers, bus drivers, or mascots have died from Covid -19.
JMO, that is a meaningless fact. Because it did not happen in another part of the world does not mean it would not or would here. Were there rules like our new quarantine there? Cuomo, put the quarantine in place from certain areas and they are allowing them in because???? Nevermind, they are special. As we used to say as kids, "No cooties on me."

Old 06-25-2020, 04:20 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,898,414 times
/\ Plus Germany has had a capable, ethical leader.

Old 06-25-2020, 05:23 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,888,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Actually most of us hate him. The dumbasses in the state outnumber the smart ones.
Dumbasses hate people for such lame reasons as political differences.

Old 06-25-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
/\ Plus Germany has had a capable, ethical leader.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Thanks for that I really needed a laugh today!

Old 06-25-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
JMO, that is a meaningless fact. Because it did not happen in another part of the world does not mean it would not or would here. Were there rules like our new quarantine there? Cuomo, put the quarantine in place from certain areas and they are allowing them in because???? Nevermind, they are special. As we used to say as kids, "No cooties on me."
I think you are being a bit alarmist over nothing. People are still traveling in and out of NY and other states daily. Thousands travelled to participate in the mass protests. Baseball is already a social distancing sport, people are out and working at restaurants, stores etc every day now. What about them? Should we just stop because one or two might get sick? Should we stay locked down forever? Life is a risk. When does it end? Basketball, hockey also starting soon btw, both are certainly not social distancing sports

Old 06-25-2020, 05:42 PM

226 posts, read 130,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Actually most of us hate him. The dumbasses in the state outnumber the smart ones.
So most of you are dumbasses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island