Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 06:31 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,251 times

Advertisements

COVID may not kill but it certainly murdered the crap out of the LICD forum. 3 trolls on a mad mission to downplay the hoax. 200+ pages of nonsensical arguments. Later patatahs.

Stay safe and well out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uLJ...MmjEnwTa0rKhEI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 07:07 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,534,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renifer Erop View Post
"Closet Trumpers" weren't responsible for Trump's victory. With the benefit of hindsight, he won via razor-thin margins in three states that hadn't gone to Republican candidates in decades.

Even then, why would there be more "Closet Trumpers" now than 3 1/2 years ago? 3 1/2 years of an anti-PC Trump presidency still not enough to get people to speak truthfully in public? If so, that's pretty pathetic.
It is pathetic, but true. The “Polls” had him at a loss.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:31 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,522,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Good for you but that still doesn't address the problem of hospitals being overwhelmed in these states that opened up too early but I guess you can always find a silver lining. Texas is now going to refrigerator trucks to store the deceased and doing triage to see screen patients to decide who is salvageable.

Meanwhile Trump claims we have the lowest mortality in the world and we flattened the curve and when questioned with real statistics claims fake news.

The bottom line is a cautious reopening is prudent.
There's no "silver lining". There's only hard facts that this disease is fatal to only around 1% of the population who are already predisposed to death from any number of factors that are not being used as an excuse to shut the world down. Yes, there are exceptions. They're rare, and get a ton of press to keep the hysteria going, but statistically they're extremely rare.

Links to hospitals being overwhelmed due to C19? NY had the worst numbers in the entire world, with a hospital system that has been criticized for DECADES for having a shortage of ICU beds, not enough ventilators, etc., and we were never "overwhelmed" here. In fact, Gov. Greaseball got everything he wanted from the Federal Government including several field hospitals and tens of thousands of ventilators, and it ended up never even being used.

As I've mentioned before, hospitals are nearly ALWAYS operating at close to, or slightly over, capacity, since administrators try to keep them as lean as possible. Go to an ED on an average day pre-C19 and be prepared for chaos with filled-up waiting rooms, gurneys lined up in the hallways, ambulances backed up in the street, etc. Sadly, this is how our medical system is run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
COVID may not kill but it certainly murdered the crap out of the LICD forum. 3 trolls on a mad mission to downplay the hoax. 200+ pages of nonsensical arguments. Later patatahs.

Stay safe and well out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uLJ...MmjEnwTa0rKhEI
I see you boo, we know you're still here and if we need another hot take on the orange man being bad or how you're gearing up for the next Civil War, we'll let you know.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Honestly I've been pretty impressed at how long the media has been able to keep the virus panic going, in spite of all the evidence that for the vast majority of the people it truly is just-the-flu-bro. Why they want to do it is obvious, yet on most other issues the press have seen their power wane but not this one. I suspect there are several reasons for this.
I would add to those reasons an abiding media hatred of President Trump. The "insinuendo" is that Trump is responsible for the virus though no one will come out and say it.

Quote:
1. Boomers. They have an absolute rampant fear of death. They will do anything to stave off the grim reaper for another month. They can't look forward to dying at home surrounded by kids and grand kids because their kids are low-fecundity liberal depressives and their grandkids, if they have any, are just a hassle or are out virtue signaling their love of all things melanin. So economic lockdowns, school shutdowns and other restrictions on what little shared social activity are left are just fine with them as long as the SS checks keep coming and they can cling to their toys for just a bit longer.
Lockdowns are fine with them on two conditions: 1) That someone else is keeping them afloat; and 2) That when they feel they need to they can disobey the lockdown with few consequences.

Quote:
2. Women. The ladies love a good moral panic where they can worry, fret, wring their hands and most importantly draw attention to themselves by virtue signaling and even better, acting as wokescolds where they can nag everyone in public, not just their husband or dog.
I don't feel that this is gender-limited.

Quote:
3. The school situation. The uncertainty over this issue has made people even more unsettled than usual. It doesn't help that the laziest of government workers next to DMV, teachers, are holding a big chunk of the economy hostage by refusing to even perform the minimal babysitting that would allow some semblance of normalcy to return to single parent and two-job families. This is going to have interesting repercussions going forward that I don't think anyone is expecting, much less predicting.
I don't think that teachers are lazy at all. I think their union leaders see this as a leverage point for other issues. Ultimately their not serious about "safety." They are holding out for a bribe.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:01 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,251 times
Quote:
There's no "silver lining". There's only hard facts that this disease is fatal to only around 1% of the population who are already predisposed to death from any number of factors that are not being used as an excuse to shut the world down. Yes, there are exceptions. They're rare, and get a ton of press to keep the hysteria going, but statistically they're extremely rare.

Links to hospitals being overwhelmed due to C19? NY had the worst numbers in the entire world, with a hospital system that has been criticized for DECADES for having a shortage of ICU beds, not enough ventilators, etc., and we were never "overwhelmed" here. In fact, Gov. Greaseball got everything he wanted from the Federal Government including several field hospitals and tens of thousands of ventilators, and it ended up never even being used.

As I've mentioned before, hospitals are nearly ALWAYS operating at close to, or slightly over, capacity, since administrators try to keep them as lean as possible. Go to an ED on an average day pre-C19 and be prepared for chaos with filled-up waiting rooms, gurneys lined up in the hallways, ambulances backed up in the street, etc. Sadly, this is how our medical system is run.

I see you boo, we know you're still here and if we need another hot take on the orange man being bad or how you're gearing up for the next Civil War, we'll let you know.
The only TDS sweet cakes is your unwavering support for the worst President in USA hist-o-ree and the cherry picked rationales you try to pass off as wisdom. We see you too, bro. See right through you.

btw: your take on hospital capacities is so daft it's pointless to retort...like almost every one of your posts. In all these years you've almost never attacked me on substance. Always "librull, CNN, MSNBC, orange man bad, Pelosi this, AOC that." Meanwhile, I say everything straight up (with the warnings and deletes from Nancy T Reader to prove it), and everyone on here knows my politics and few ever call me a liberal (like I care anyway). Only you call me a lib daily. Cause you've got nothing else. Orange man isn't "bad." He's an inept moron, pathological liar and ineffectual failure. But he talks a wicked good game. He talks a lot. Then turns it over to his legal beagles on retainer (the ones not yet indicted). Then hides in a bunker.

Last edited by monstermagnet; 07-24-2020 at 11:21 AM..

Old 07-24-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So thought California, a perfect example why we need caution.
Speaking of California, I get it. We allow mayhem from demonstrators and rioters, so law-abiding people need to be locked down to make the numbers look good. Sounds like a plan.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:11 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:

The hospitals in NYC were overwhelmed and during the peak.

You are still overlooking the hospitals being overwhelmed, don't you get newspapers or cable. There is nothing normal about this spike in patients, maybe you should visit an ICU in Florida and Texas and tell the administrators this is normal. Where do you think a high percentage of those record setting 70,000 cases a day end up, they don't just disappear.

Beyond the impact on hospitals this is keeping our economy shut down and we are now banned from traveling to Europe and other nations, so keep on with your claims that this is no big deals as other countries succeed and we continue to fail.

Maybe you should consider moving to Texas or Florida since you think Cuomo is over reacting.
Quote:
Health experts say there's no evidence that bodies are contagious after death, but the moment speaks to the fear and concern in Hidalgo County, where health officials say Covid-19 is wreaking havoc on communities. Hospitals started reaching capacity earlier this month in the Rio Grande Valley, which has become the main hotspot in Texas.

"It's a tsunami what we're seeing right now," said Dr. Federico Vallejo, a critical care pulmonologist. Vallejo said he's treating nearly 50 to 60 patients a day. Sometimes he takes care of 70. Normally, a critical care doctor sees about 15 to 20 patients during a rotation for a critical care doctor, according to Vallejo.

Dr. Peter Hotez of the Baylor College of Medicine said Southern states like Texas and Florida are seeing increased deaths because "the hospitals are overwhelmed."

"We had 34 deaths in the last 24 hours in not a very large county, so South Texas is just getting hit incredibly hard," Hotez said Tuesday on CNN.

https://www.news-daily.com/news/worl...6e76ceb6d.html

Quote:
The emergency department at Jackson Memorial Hospital, wedged between Little Havana and the vibrant murals of Wynwood in Miami, has overflowed with Covid-19 patients for weeks.

Patients wait for beds in hallways and in the lounge. Some need oxygen
minutes after arrival, while others are sent home for bed rest and to quarantine. Intensive care unit beds, the number of which has already expanded, are “snatched” up minutes after they become available. Not a single one of the 164 in the hospital is free.

“The last three weeks have been some of the busiest shifts in my entire life,” said Dr Mark Supino of Jackson Memorial Hospital’s emergency department. “We’ve seen some of the sickest patients we’ve ever seen.”

Florida’s failure to contain coronavirus cases has put the state on track to rival New York’s peak for sheer volume of infections. This spring, New York represented one quarter of the nation’s Covid-19 cases.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...k-ron-desantis

Last edited by Goodnight; 07-24-2020 at 04:51 PM..

Old 01-13-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Read my lips: LIABILITY. Protestors don't care, malls most certainly do. 1st person to get COVID while trying on those new Nike's is guaranteed to sue long and hard. That times a few dozen million. Should be quite the spectacle. Rushing back has serious consequences. I don't expect the LICD forum to think that deeply, though, just gimme a mani pedi and don't tread on my lawn.
You have got to be kidding. I don't think any such store has ever been sued over influenza contagion. Contagious diseases have been around as long as man has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island