Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2020, 12:59 PM

291 posts, read 585,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
People at risk should stay home and their family members should take precautions. The rest of us should have our constitutional rights restored. Anyone who wants to quarantine themselves indefinitely are free to do so.
But what if you're asymptomatic?

Old 05-03-2020, 01:00 PM

22,730 posts, read 36,958,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And yet, when schools first started closing almost none of them closed for the year at that time. Most announced they would be closed for a few weeks or so, then extended it a few more weeks, and then finally closed for the year.

Now maybe they knew there would be no school until fall but they rolled it out to the people in bits and pieces. I think that is one reason people have had enough and are defying lockdown orders and demanding things re-open. Perhaps the idea was to soften the blow and ease people into it but it led many people to believe it could all be over in a month.

For example, on March 21, "Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker on Friday announced a "stay-at-home" order that will begin tomorrow and last until at least April 7... All Illinois schools will stay closed until April 8."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...mp/2880695001/

And in Virginia, "Madison County Schools will be closed due to COVID-19 starting Monday, March 16, and continuing through April 10. The decision was made following Gov. Andy Beshear’s latest press conference Thursday afternoon."
https://www.richmondregister.com/new...5fe1108dc.html

In Kentucky, "Fayette County Public Schools announced on Thursday they will close Monday, March 16, through April 3."
https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Bo...568741811.html
I think the reason they did it was because no school system had a plan in place for remote learning which is pretty inexcusable in this day and age. There are weather events and catastrophes that can happen in any state and it makes sense to have a way for kids to learn during those times. You tell parents on March 13 "we are closing for the year" you'd best have a plan in place for how their kids are going to do some learning for the next 8-12 weeks.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:05 PM

5,098 posts, read 3,993,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey95 View Post
But what if you're asymptomatic?
Then you will be fine.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:19 PM

107,233 posts, read 109,579,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Then you will be fine.
But others you came in contact with may not have been fine

Old 05-03-2020, 01:50 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,313,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think the reason they did it was because no school system had a plan in place for remote learning which is pretty inexcusable in this day and age. There are weather events and catastrophes that can happen in any state and it makes sense to have a way for kids to learn during those times. You tell parents on March 13 "we are closing for the year" you'd best have a plan in place for how their kids are going to do some learning for the next 8-12 weeks.

You may be right. It was a line of BS they were pushing to buy themselves time to figure something out but it doesn't change the fact that if you keep moving the goalposts then people are going to stop letting you set the goals.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:22 PM

291 posts, read 585,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
how come nobody is talking about the antibodies test showing everyones already been infected, and the death rate is really 0.5. If we all have masks now, whats the big deal? They only sent everyone $1200 and this was in march when they said it would last only 2 weeks. Some people wont get those checks until sept. either open the country or pay for everyones rent. also, after june you can get evicted and they arent updating the executive order
for starters...no one gets evicted in a month. Ever. I'm also quite sure that landlords are willing to work with their tenants.

Old 05-03-2020, 03:17 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,889,427 times
Quote:
And yet, when schools first started closing almost none of them closed for the year at that time. Most announced they would be closed for a few weeks or so, then extended it a few more weeks, and then finally closed for the year.

Now maybe they knew there would be no school until fall but they rolled it out to the people in bits and pieces. I think that is one reason people have had enough and are defying lockdown orders and demanding things re-open. Perhaps the idea was to soften the blow and ease people into it but it led many people to believe it could all be over in a month.

For example, on March 21, "Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker on Friday announced a "stay-at-home" order that will begin tomorrow and last until at least April 7... All Illinois schools will stay closed until April 8."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...mp/2880695001/

And in Virginia, "Madison County Schools will be closed due to COVID-19 starting Monday, March 16, and continuing through April 10. The decision was made following Gov. Andy Beshear’s latest press conference Thursday afternoon."
https://www.richmondregister.com/new...5fe1108dc.html

In Kentucky, "Fayette County Public Schools announced on Thursday they will close Monday, March 16, through April 3."
https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Bo...568741811.html
Perhaps you really shouldn't attempt to support your arguments with sources that do the opposite. Even your own brief quotes contradict your argument. "Last until at least April 7..." Words mean things and are put in stories for a reason. Your second link is from Kentucky, not Virginia and advises to look for updates. Your third link contains an official letter which says "we will assess the situation during Spring Break and hopefully will be able to resume classes in our buildings on Monday April 13, 2020.

The message is very clear that there was nothing set in stone and poor reading comprehension and rumor mongering (ie. "they said") is responsible for the widespread lack of understanding. Of course there are those who go out of their way to spread this misinformation and the gullible simply become their dupes in repeating it.

Old 05-03-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Perhaps you really shouldn't attempt to support your arguments with sources that do the opposite. Even your own brief quotes contradict your argument. "Last until at least April 7..." Words mean things and are put in stories for a reason. Your second link is from Kentucky, not Virginia and advises to look for updates. Your third link contains an official letter which says "we will assess the situation during Spring Break and hopefully will be able to resume classes in our buildings on Monday April 13, 2020.

The message is very clear that there was nothing set in stone and poor reading comprehension and rumor mongering (ie. "they said") is responsible for the widespread lack of understanding. Of course there are those who go out of their way to spread this misinformation and the gullible simply become their dupes in repeating it.

My sources fully support my arguments. Words do indeed mean things and those dates were put in there for a reason and result in an expectation. Why do *you* think they included a date? There's a reason they didn't simply say "until further notice". They wanted people to think, even while leaving them a loophole exit, that things would resume shortly.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:47 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,889,427 times
Quote:
My sources fully support my arguments. Words do indeed mean things and those dates were put in there for a reason and result in an expectation. Why do *you* think they included a date? There's a reason they didn't simply say "until further notice". They wanted people to think, even while leaving them a loophole exit, that things would resume shortly.
The dates are there so that people know that in that particular period certain things would happen or not happen. In the case of two of your links school classes would not be held. People can then plan for what is happening during that period, not a week later, not a month later, not a year later. Both of those included language saying there would be further review. Nothing said there would be a definite reopening date.

I don't believe there is anything else I can explain to someone who cannot even tell what state a link is from because they either did not read what it said or did not understand it. Your sources support what I have been saying, not what you're saying.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
The dates are there so that people know that in that particular period certain things would happen or not happen. In the case of two of your links school classes would not be held. People can then plan for what is happening during that period, not a week later, not a month later, not a year later. Both of those included language saying there would be further review. Nothing said there would be a definite reopening date.

I don't believe there is anything else I can explain to someone who cannot even tell what state a link is from because they either did not read what it said or did not understand it. Your sources support what I have been saying, not what you're saying.

You can search and find dozens more links from other states. If they wanted people to think it was indefinitely they could have left out dates and said indefinitely. Basically what you are saying is that they provided themselves an out in the fine print but you know good and well the only thing most people see (and gets reported) are the highlighted dates. The sources support that people were led to believe it would likely just be for a few weeks. I'm sorry you don't have the mental capacity to understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island