Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 08:29 AM

5,098 posts, read 3,993,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
It doesn't change your probability of dying.

Less pervasive virus with higher mortality rate or more common virus with lower mortality rate... same thing. Maybe one can just freak out less if they get it...but we're more likely to get it than originally thought. It's a wash. The number of deaths per population size is what matters.
Well, if your assumption was that the virus would infect a certain amount of people in the US and kill them at a particular rate, the lower death rate is tremendously good news.

Some folks (including ‘experts’) predicted that about 50M would/will be be infected (similar to our most recent pandemic, H1N1/swine flu). A greatly reduced death rate has an obvious effect on a huge infection number like that.

Discovering that there are literally millions of infected and recovered Americans (almost all of whom had no idea) is actually good news. In context.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:56 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,933,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
People in this country are soft...too much prosperity and too little struggle or real crisis.

Snowflakes had a protest in Commack yesterday because they need a haircut and their personal savings ran out already.

Imagine if we had a World War on our own soil. Focus on what's important, your family and health. We're barely a month and a half into a half arsed lock down and people are whining. You can still go for a walk, get food, etc. It's not even a real lock down. Imagine living in Greece or France right after WW2. Imagine living in any third world country right now. You can still have wine delivered curbside to your car...how bad can it be. Patience.
Agree - I've been tempted over many threads to play the "you're that millenial" card. Some poster's thoughts put on screen for all to judge are just too much to resist...

Old 05-03-2020, 09:03 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,337,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Agree - I've been tempted over many threads to play the "you're that millenial" card. Some poster's thoughts put on screen for all to judge are just too much to resist...
I had a conversation with my wife last night, mentioning that the US hasn’t faced any real “at home” hardship since WWII. Even Vietnam didn’t impact the domestic economy much.

There are few people alive (and nearly zero still working) who will recall WWII’s impact following the Depression.

On one hand you want to have empathy for other people’s situation, on the other as has been pointed out if you have your health, an income, and a roof over your head you’re better off than many right now.

Maybe this will be America’s next great awakening, and if it doesn’t change the mindset of boomers it will change Gen Z. I’d love to see critical manufacturing return to the US and reverse our obesity trend.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:07 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,933,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Now maybe they knew there would be no school until fall but they rolled it out to the people in bits and pieces. I think that is one reason people have had enough and are defying lockdown orders and demanding things re-open. Perhaps the idea was to soften the blow and ease people into it but it led many people to believe it could all be over in a month.
Why does this sound like you're saying there's this big conspiracy and someone knew exactly how it would all play out in this country? Laughably unreal. The solution and desire to open RIGHT NOW because "we've had enough of this!" is so incredibly short-sighted. I'll say it - the amount of seemingly-educated people on this forum saying certain things without logical reasoning is astounding.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-03-2020 at 09:16 AM..

Old 05-03-2020, 09:38 AM

34,221 posts, read 47,546,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I had a conversation with my wife last night, mentioning that the US hasn’t faced any real “at home” hardship since WWII. Even Vietnam didn’t impact the domestic economy much.

There are few people alive (and nearly zero still working) who will recall WWII’s impact following the Depression.

On one hand you want to have empathy for other people’s situation, on the other as has been pointed out if you have your health, an income, and a roof over your head you’re better off than many right now.

Maybe this will be America’s next great awakening, and if it doesn’t change the mindset of boomers it will change Gen Z. I’d love to see critical manufacturing return to the US and reverse our obesity trend.
Embrace 3D printing + industrial hemp and we'll get there in 5 years.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-03-2020, 09:51 AM

13,069 posts, read 18,236,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Bad headlines generate clicks and revenue. And it doesn’t feed a command and control narrative that is being pushed before November.
Regardless of political persuasion, hindsight will always be 20/20 and as far as I am aware there are few alive today with any recollection of the last pandemic. We always learn and I am sure that the book of hits and misses will be written on this one too. The problem is when you have a "book" on your enemy the rules of engagement are predictable, when the enemy is brand new - all that is left is trial and error based upon past experience, some good luck, good science and a population that adheres to what it is told.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:55 AM

23,176 posts, read 12,313,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Why does this sound like you're saying there's this big conspiracy and someone knew exactly how it would all play out in this country? Laughably unreal. The solution and desire to open RIGHT NOW because "we've had enough of this!" is so incredibly short-sighted. I'll say it - the amount of seemingly-educated people on this forum saying certain things without logical reasoning is astounding.

Perhaps it sounds like that because you don't have the mental capacity to read for comprehension? The authorities did know that lockdowns would be required because that is what the "experts" had told them yet they started off with voluntary "social distancing" in early March. Many people were led to believe that this would be adequate, that this would be the extent of it, which only made the next step (which occurred before even seeing the results of the first step) seem harsher. And authorities knew the lockdowns would be required longer than a few weeks because that is what the "experts" had told them yet they all set lockdown periods that extended until early April. Many people were led to believe that meant the lockdowns would be lifted in early April. Don't set an end date if that date is not when it ends. If I say that you must hold your breath for 30 seconds that inherently implies that you will be allowed to breathe at 31 seconds. The reason people are expecting and insisting that they be allowed to return to normalcy is because we are beyond not only the original lockdown period but the subsequently extended lockdown period.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:10 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,534,626 times
Our social distancing measures don’t have to be 100% effective, they just have to slow the spread. We can and should argue over what level of distancing makes sense right now, but when this was first implemented Italy was going haywire and China had taken draconian efforts to get a handle on the virus. It was the right call for what we knew at the time, but re-evaluating now makes sense.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:50 AM

158 posts, read 167,894 times
The lockdown was based on data that predicted a serious overwhelming of our health system. The numbers were off by multiple magnitudes of 10. Those numbers are only moving further down as we learn more about how many people were already affected and how long it’s been here as well as how deadly it truly is. The numbers today do not support a shutdown of any kind! The same people telling you to stay inside today are the same people who were telling you it didn’t transmit human to human just a few months ago. Think about that.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:06 AM

13,069 posts, read 18,236,246 times
As I said previously, no one is infallible. The President and the government officials made an educated guess based off the information we had on hand at that moment in time, including historical data on other health problems. This info was based on both scientific data and certain presumptions and assumptions that of necessity are required to have a jump off point. Adjustments are made and plans modified as the presumptions and assumptions are shown to be similar or different.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the shelter in place and the business shut down. Frankly, if people were following the shelter in place order then business owners would be shutting down voluntarily because no one would be shopping except for essentials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island