Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 08:22 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,535,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
and if I am correct and I believe that I am, I thought the OP's child had a life threatening Illness and needed to come to NY ASAP! and could not wait. I also believe this same person has also posted in Florida, and some other areas near Boston looking for housing. Yes I did my research and I feel like we are being scammed. I say this because since 2015 this person has been saying they need to leave PA and move here.
Still never answered the basic financial/budget questions to help her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 10:01 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,720,371 times
Can you not find appropriate medical treatment in either Philadelphia or Pittsburgh?

Old 01-02-2019, 07:15 AM

19,242 posts, read 17,117,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Can you not find appropriate medical treatment in either Philadelphia or Pittsburgh?
No kidding, I can't believe LI is the only source for medical care....

Old 01-02-2019, 07:20 AM

117 posts, read 173,586 times
I do need a real estate agent very badly , I am not pursuing income base , we could pay 1600 a month about and my husband can work up there yes we have been to drs in Long Island Jewish and they fully understand my child , here they do not have the training and I don't know why or the dr a want to shoot you off to Philly , they stay with run of the mill conditions and make enough with that as there are a lot of people here and few drs I have family in Patchogue that we miss also , we did consider Florida but they have cancer clusters there now where 30 yr olds are getting cancer probably from military bases dumping foams and teflon and other toxins into soul and water from what I understand there is no solution yet and houses are not selling we need to rent a tiny house or cottage I need a good agent thanks

Old 01-02-2019, 07:49 AM

Ny is the best source for medical care or a Mayo Clinic NJ is good too our area is replacing MD's with nurse practitioners and even the MD's did not have the knowledge Philly has some it is a 6 hr ride each way the rural life is not easy for seniors we don't even have a 24 hr drug store I just need a good broker who handles Suffolk County Eastern Suffolk is cheaper we might be able to buy eventually we are not on welfare as some people here are joking about .

Old 01-02-2019, 10:46 AM

Hi about 1600 for a 2 bedroom cottage or house we have verifiable income I need a good broker to help us

Old 01-02-2019, 11:12 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,053,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieCountryGirl1 View Post
Hi about 1600 for a 2 bedroom cottage or house we have verifiable income I need a good broker to help us
This is the least expensive whole-house rental in Patchogue:

https://www.mlsli.com/rentals/40-Rai...1772-264542825

$1700/month but that does not include either electricity or heat. Just water. This is probably the best you'll be able to do in your price range. It's a 2-story house, not sure if that is workable for you.

You really need to figure on at least $2000/month to rent a small house/cottage and again it will not include heat or electricity. Some landlords give a monthly allowance toward the cost of cable/internet; some don't.

Let me put it this way: small houses/cottages even in Shirley which is not exactly the garden spot of Suffolk County are going to cost at least $2000 a month.

https://www.mlsli.com/rentals/5-Houn...1967-259914351

Once you get further east on the south shore you are into the various Hamptons where the rental market is even more tight and many are going to be seasonal rather than year-round rentals in order to take advantage of the higher priced summer tourist/vacation trade.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but your rental budget of $1600 is simply too low for a house on LI that's in any kind of a safe area. In fact it's even too low for many 2-bedroom apartments, let alone a small house. And then you need to figure in extra money for your heat (often oil) and electric bills as well.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 01-02-2019 at 11:29 AM..

Old 01-02-2019, 11:12 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,535,247 times
Quote:
Anything below $2,000 you’re renting someone’s basement

Old 01-02-2019, 11:17 AM

124 posts, read 109,003 times
Quote:
the broker will cost you at least a month's rent. on the flip side, the conflict of interest there is that the renter pays the broker, so find one who wants your money and they'll get you through the background/credit check.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:23 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,210,853 times
Moderator cut: quoted remarks removed

Moderator cut: there is no need to be so mean. Just move on if you cannot offer constructive assistance

OK. I'll bite. How is your credit? Background & criminal history. Any evictions? Can you show verifiable on the books long term income of t least 3x the rent per month? On top of your 1600 month budget. You have to show you have the ability & savings to pay all the other costs. Like your necessities. Utilities.

You have to qualify. You do not just get handed a rental. A real estate agent can only help you if you meet the criteria that is set by a landlord. They can't work magic. You say your husband can work up here. There alone signals one negative to a landlord. Says he probably does not really have a job locally already. Landlords want to see stable employment. Not hear. Oh I will get a job easy once I get settled.You live where you can afford. Good luck. Sounds like you are playing around aka looking for a handout from strangers since you made a new acct. Does not sound like LI is the place for you.

At 1600 budget if you use a realtor. You will need 1600 x 3 at bare minimum for move in costs. Or more. 1600 as first months rent. Usually at least one months rent as security. Then One months rent you the tenant pay as fee to the realtor. Adds up to $4,800 just to move in. So you gotta have those savings ready to pay ahead of time. Does all that say you still can do this? And focusing on a apt instead of house or cottage at that budget is more normal for LI. Seems you want your own private home for that low budget. Will not get you a good area. Which I bet you are choosy about too.

And to add. At 1600 budget. You will even find most landlords will say 1 person. No way will most at that price allow 3 heads. AS in that range you will mostly find 1 BR or even a studio these days. Hope you have no pets. You will not find a landlord that will take pets. Unless you go to a complex. Which appears to not be an option for you. Just being brutally honest. Think some people need to hear it. Like it or not

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-02-2019 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island