Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 05:05 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blernard View Post
Woodbury is very expensive. I'm going to say it again as others have - you owe it to yourself to talk a walk through northport village. It sounds exactly what you're looking for.
Woodbury is beautiful just like dix hills except way more $$. Not sure what 1m+ truly means could be 1.1 could be 1.4. I don't think any one has mentioned it but look into Cold Spring Harbor it might fit the bill. It is very pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 06:37 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,054,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
What you did is what you always do - exaggerate occasional commuting problems. We get it, you never want to commute more than ten or fifteen minutes but that's no reason to constantly throw up worst case scenarios as if they occur daily.
I specifically said that I was giving an extreme case example.

In any case, it seems the OP has made up his mind. I have nothing more to add to this thread.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:09 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWilli1892 View Post
For our 1M+ budget, its looking like we will get the most house in these two areas closest to the city. My partner liked the northern central area of Long Island, however areas closer to the city vs Dix Hills, were a lot more expensive. (i.e. Woodbury or an area we saw called East Hills?). I like living in a village and near water. We both need walkability and a downtown area. SW Nassau neither SE nassau have that? Except some areas apparently in the 5 towns, and the taxes there look very high. (ALOT MORE!) for the same sized house in Babylon Village. I RESPECT the North Shore a lot! But I grew up in an area like the North Shore in NJ. Very Hilly/Wooded, and at times having to drive many places. I want something new for my children. I think Babylon Village might be it, We plan to do some hanging out there next month!
Dix Hills, east Hills, Woodbury, none of those walkable. It sounds like you really want something like Babylon Village. Huntington would be a great fit for you guys but it seems you're focused on Babylon and that will work as well.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:12 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times
I'd be surprised if the OP was not already aware but Babylon is very close and provides easy access to Fire Island which has a number of communities which have been among America's places most friendly to same sex couples and similarly interested singles for the better part of a century.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:41 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,754,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blernard View Post
Woodbury is very expensive. I'm going to say it again as others have - you owe it to yourself to talk a walk through northport village. It sounds exactly what you're looking for.
I can't agree more...Northport Village is a beautiful, upscale, walkable town on the water, (literally, Main street backs up to the harbor) with lots to do. Babylon is great, but surrounding areas are meh. Northport is surrounded mostly by nice areas.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:31 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,765,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I'd be surprised if the OP was not already aware but Babylon is very close and provides easy access to Fire Island which has a number of communities which have been among America's places most friendly to same sex couples and similarly interested singles for the better part of a century.
very true, but are those particular communities necessarily kid friendly? I honestly don't know...

Old 05-19-2017, 03:13 PM

21 posts, read 23,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
I can't agree more...Northport Village is a beautiful, upscale, walkable town on the water, (literally, Main street backs up to the harbor) with lots to do. Babylon is great, but surrounding areas are meh. Northport is surrounded mostly by nice areas.
From what we have seen in photos, Northport Village looks beautiful. Though my partner is not too fond of the reviews given on NICHE(a school ranking database). In the Student Diversity Category, Northport SD has 0.6% African African American Students. We need just a bit more diversity for our mixed children. I'm sure it wouldn't matter because we can afford the area, and will be good neighbors and community members. It's just the idea of our kids being "the only ones" that we don't like. Babylon SD comes in at 4.2% AA which is better. We are aware that is an issue we will run into anywhere with our budget and lifestyle, its just about finding the right fit.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:12 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,909,590 times
Quote:
From what we have seen in photos, Northport Village looks beautiful. Though my partner is not too fond of the reviews given on NICHE(a school ranking database). In the Student Diversity Category, Northport SD has 0.6% African African American Students. We need just a bit more diversity for our mixed children. I'm sure it wouldn't matter because we can afford the area, and will be good neighbors and community members. It's just the idea of our kids being "the only ones" that we don't like. Babylon SD comes in at 4.2% AA which is better. We are aware that is an issue we will run into anywhere with our budget and lifestyle, its just about finding the right fit.
Have you ever thought about moving anywhere you wanted and then sending your kids to private school if the schools weren't up to your standards?

I wouldn't advise this route for most ppl since it doesn't make a lot of sense to pay taxes for public schools and then pay private schools...but since you have a lot of resources, you may be happiest this way.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:17 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,909,590 times
Have you ever thought about Bay Shore?

Probably the most diverse town on Long Island, bustling downtown, gay friendly since you have Eagles Gay bar and Fire Island across the water and the schools are pretty decent (though not considered top notch yet). There's plenty of luxury inventory near the water that would be in your price range.

The only negative would be the commute (even though there is an LIRR stop).

Old 05-19-2017, 08:32 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,166,029 times
Quote:
How old are your children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island