Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 07:17 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWilli1892 View Post
Along the south shore thats really the only town that we really liked and felt would fit for our lifestyle. My partner can get to the office at anytime. I have a feeling we are going to settle in Babylon Village.
Babylon Village area is very nice as is Sayville south of Montauk Hwy. Great old Victorian homes and a good school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 09:59 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Babylon Village is a great place to live! Loved it when I lived there and it's only gotten better
Commuter parking has always been a problem and continues to be one--I was lucky to have had a reserved parking spot really close to the station entrance.
I visit Babylon as often as possible and now that my company has opened an office there, I look for any excuse to go.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:27 AM

21 posts, read 23,780 times
Now the newest thing is figuring out our housing situation. It seems the housing stock for what we want is kind of low. I think we are going to purchase on the water and do a complete rebuild. We ONLY want a brick colonial style home.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:20 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,252 times
You seem to be very set on these two towns but is there a reason that you have not considered Rockville Centre? It is clearly in your price range, an all around nice place to live, and has block after block of beautiful brick colonials.

EDIT: Oh, on the water, huh... not much in the brick colonial family on the water on LI... Hewlett Harbor perhaps but it is nothing like Babylon village! Tear down it is for you, I guess.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:08 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,041,618 times
Quote:
Along the south shore thats really the only town that we really liked and felt would fit for our lifestyle. My partner can get to the office at anytime. I have a feeling we are going to settle in Babylon Village.
Has your partner ever had a commute as long as the one that he/she is going to have, and somehow found it to be a better quality of life than a shorter commute? Even under adverse conditions?

Old 05-15-2017, 10:33 AM

21 posts, read 23,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Has your partner ever had a commute as long as the one that he/she is going to have, and somehow found it to be a better quality of life than a shorter commute? Even under adverse conditions?
Currently he has a 45 minute commute from where we live now. Again nothing on the water until Babylon Village appealed to us.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:37 AM

149 posts, read 317,411 times
I've said this before about Dix Hills. I live there because I don't want commerce where I live - I like that it is entirely residential and I like that we are on large plots that offer privacy and plenty of room to create whatever it is that makes your property exactly what you want it to be. Huntington and Babylon villages are a 15 minuite drive, and the proximity to the highways make weekend nights in the city quick and easy to get to.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:10 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Now the newest thing is figuring out our housing situation. It seems the housing stock for what we want is kind of low. I think we are going to purchase on the water and do a complete rebuild. We ONLY want a brick colonial style home.

There are actually two brick waterfront colonials on the market right now - pricey though, especially one of them...

The commute from Babylon isn't all that bad (did it for almost 15 years). Train ride is about an hour and there are plenty of trains. You always get a seat and if you fall asleep on the way home, you can't overshoot your destination

Old 05-15-2017, 05:39 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
Quote:
Currently he has a 45 minute commute from where we live now. Again nothing on the water until Babylon Village appealed to us.
depending on where in Manhattan he'll be working, his door to door commute from Babylon might be double that.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:04 PM

245 posts, read 319,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
depending on where in Manhattan he'll be working, his door to door commute from Babylon might be double that.
Yeah. OP: The train alone will be 60 to 70 minutes. That excludes getting to the station early to ensure you get parking (it's limited), waiting for the train, then the commute from Penn station to wherever you are in the city. You can be looking at 90 minutes each way realistically.

Again, I would advise to look in nassau's south shore as you want waterfront. Can save you 40 minutes or more per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island