Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 20,273 times

Advertisements

Im moving to North Bellmore from Astoria. What are some thoughts of the area? Especially North of Jerusalem Ave and South of Southern State. I've only heard good things about the schools and low crime until reading some of the threads on this site. I'm curious to know what's going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 11:57 AM

88 posts, read 144,766 times
North Bellmore is on its way to being another Baldwin type area. Very "diverse" but not so safe and nice. It's not Hempstead or Roosevelt but it's a notch below other south shore places. General rule on the South Shore of LI is that "north" as a prefix is usually the ghetto section of a town.

Actual Bellmore is much much better.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:35 PM

Ok Thank you very much

Old 04-27-2015, 12:38 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,068,210 times
I disagree with the above poster.

N. Bellmore is a highly desirable area. Homes in the area are hot commodities and tend to sell quickly - I know of several homes that went in a matter of days, and others that sold for over asking price. Great schools, accessible to highways and trains. TONS of young families moving in or already living there. It's part of Merrick Bellmore SD, which is consistently rated well. Mepham High School has always been the (slightly) more diverse one in the bunch. But that's the only downfall, if you consider that a downfall.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:51 PM

We have been looking in Merrick, Bellmore, North Merrick and North Bellmore for months and the houses do go very quickly. We have researched the schools and they are rated very well. Just concerned by some of the post about the seedy people down by the housing on Newbridge and Bellmore ave. I don't see diversity as a downfall unless they are from families that dont care or value a good education. Thank you Give Me Coffee

Last edited by Pacman86; 04-27-2015 at 01:00 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 01:03 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,068,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman86 View Post
We have been looking in Merrick, Bellmore, North Merrick and North Bellmore for months and the house do go very quickly. We have researched the schools and they are rated very well. Just concerned by some of the post about the seedy people down by the housing on Newbridge and Bellmore ave. I don't see diversity as a downfall unless they are from families that dont care or value a good education. Thank you Give Me Coffee
You're welcome!

There are a handful of small apartment buildings on Newbridge and Bellmore Ave., but there are less desirable areas of any town. I live nearby and know N. Bellmore well and have never done anything beyond the standard safety precautions.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:21 PM

137 posts, read 194,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
I disagree with the above poster.

N. Bellmore is a highly desirable area. Homes in the area are hot commodities and tend to sell quickly - I know of several homes that went in a matter of days, and others that sold for over asking price. Great schools, accessible to highways and trains. TONS of young families moving in or already living there. It's part of Merrick Bellmore SD, which is consistently rated well. Mepham High School has always been the (slightly) more diverse one in the bunch. But that's the only downfall, if you consider that a downfall.

Agree with this. N. Bellmore, N. Merrick, Levittown, Island Trees, N. Wantagh selling like hotcakes or being flipped. The best areas for "starter" homes ie any homes under $450k in Nassau. Very family/kid centric communities (sometimes too much, lol) with good schools, great pools, green spaces and proximity to shopping, beaches, NYC, etc. The biggest downside is high taxes per home value. In part because of the family friendly nature and amenities but mostly due to limited industrial/commercial base so it's all on the backs of the homeowners. That stretch on N. Jerusalem (between Bellmore Ave and Newbridge) is a little worn and ugly but seedy isn't the right word. It's just commercial w/ a few industrial companies (oil co, a few tile companies). Go off the main drag a few blocks in any direction and it's quiet residential again.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:01 PM

Oh ok, thank you also. Does any poster know if Bellmore residents can use the Forest City Pool or is that for Wantagh residents?

Old 04-28-2015, 06:58 AM

300 posts, read 553,767 times
Bellmore, Merrick and Wantagh are great.

Bellmore is a good place to start a family.

Just saw this online today.

Bellmore Ranked 10th Best Place for Young Families in NY | Bellmore, NY Patch

Old 04-28-2015, 02:16 PM

376 posts, read 1,016,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman86 View Post
Oh ok, thank you also. Does any poster know if Bellmore residents can use the Forest City Pool or is that for Wantagh residents?
yes you can along with wantagh park which has a nice pool park....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island