Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 12:56 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovebiking View Post
I'm curious to know, what is your opinion on North Merrick? Would you place it in the same boat as North Bellmore? Why or Why not?
Well North Merrick is on the border with areas that are not as good as N. Bellmore as is evident. N. Merrick is still nice. Don't know as much about it as I do about N. Bellmore though. My info for future of N. Bellmore comes from almost daily observation & knowing many people there. As well as being close with an long time RE investor that almost exclusively invests in Bellmore area since early 80's. It is changing & not for the better. As for N. Merrick I feel the same kind of as N. Bellmore in recommending it for buyers (longer term than a renter). If you plan to have kids (at least for now as we all know this can change) Merrick & Bellmore (south of Sunrise) is zoned for JFK HS. In Merrick or Bellmore North of Sunrise you are zoned for Calhoun. Drive by both in person & see for yourself the differences. That is only true way to see it..not from internet posts. Then people can make their best informed decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
I'll come right out and say it. The mosque went up where the old Friendlys was. The place is barricaded and is an eyesore. Plus the section 8 housing is right next door. Let's not forget the strip joint/nude mud wrestling right across the street, next to regular shopping that families frequent. It's like Pottersville. People got the heck out of there, and values dropped. Bedford Falls Bellmore is south of Sunrise.
Thanks..I wanted to say this too! People who think N. Bellmore is not going to go downhill are wearing blindfolds. I mentioned to old Friendlys long time ago. That area is not so nice once the sun sets. The housing next to it..well lets just say the people that live there are NOT approachable at all. All those apts in those buildings..yet no cars. That says a lot about who the occupants might be. While back I had a old friend that called me about a home they were considering near intersection of Newbridge & Bellmore. They did drive by & talked to me & investor friend & quickly walked away. The are buying place just South of Sunrise just before Merrick. As for anyone looking to buy in ANY area they don't fully know..spend some quality time there before even thinking about buying. Rent for at least a year if possible. Well worth it before a purchase.

Much easier to move if not happy when renting than it will be if you buy. Why pay all those costs of buying if you don't know the area is beyond me. Why waste your time & money.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:09 PM

159 posts, read 279,526 times
North Wantagh will probably fall also just because it's made up of those undesirable Levitt houses.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I was wondering when you'd chime in. What exactly is your beef with North Bellmore? I've driven through there and seen real estate prices online and it's more or less the same as its neighboring towns. The demographics are solid as I posted earlier. The school district is strong. There are some run down houses but they're owner occupied, typically old people, and when they sell and move they get knocked down and a 3000 square foot house springs up in its place.

Areas generally don't just go bad on their own unless you do something stupid like build a housing project or a lot of Section 8 housing ala Glen Cove. It's more typical to see an adjoining bad area start creeping "over the tracks" like how Queens has wrecked Elmont, New Cassel wrecked Westbury, Hempstead wrecked Freeport which is now hurting Baldwin, etc.

On the flip side, I wouldn't buy south of Sunrise due to flooding concerns. I can picture water levels rising faster than North Belmore deteriorating. Just not worth it unless you're waterfront, but then we're talking major cash.
The demographics & statistics you are looking at (not sure if can count the ones here on CD) are not very true at all. If you live there &/or truly spend the time in N. Bellmore (especially at night) you will never see the true residents that are walking the streets at night. With the exception of Sandy I would still not want to live anywhere else on LI. I was home during it so I know how bad it was first hand. We still have not fully recovered the infrastructure where I am. There are many scattered Sec 8 & other low cost housing in N. Bellmore area. maybe you just have not seen it. North will & is deteriorating faster than South. They did close the one school in N. Bellmore as well for a reason.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:08 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
The demographics & statistics you are looking at (not sure if can count the ones here on CD) are not very true at all. If you live there &/or truly spend the time in N. Bellmore (especially at night) you will never see the true residents that are walking the streets at night. With the exception of Sandy I would still not want to live anywhere else on LI. I was home during it so I know how bad it was first hand. We still have not fully recovered the infrastructure where I am. There are many scattered Sec 8 & other low cost housing in N. Bellmore area. maybe you just have not seen it. North will & is deteriorating faster than South. They did close the one school in N. Bellmore as well for a reason.

When schools start closing, and you're left with Newbridge Rd. Elementary (which stinks--so does that decrepit library next door), it's speaks volumes about the direction in which the neighborhood is heading.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulHope View Post
North Wantagh will probably fall also just because it's made up of those undesirable Levitt houses.
North Wantagh is still going strong. Properties are maintained. Shopping is still good. Levittown schools are pretty decent.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks..I wanted to say this too! People who think N. Bellmore is not going to go downhill are wearing blindfolds. I mentioned to old Friendlys long time ago. That area is not so nice once the sun sets. The housing next to it..well lets just say the people that live there are NOT approachable at all. All those apts in those buildings..yet no cars. That says a lot about who the occupants might be. While back I had a old friend that called me about a home they were considering near intersection of Newbridge & Bellmore. They did drive by & talked to me & investor friend & quickly walked away. The are buying place just South of Sunrise just before Merrick. As for anyone looking to buy in ANY area they don't fully know..spend some quality time there before even thinking about buying. Rent for at least a year if possible. Well worth it before a purchase.

Much easier to move if not happy when renting than it will be if you buy. Why pay all those costs of buying if you don't know the area is beyond me. Why waste your time & money.

You couldn't pay me to move back to North Bellmore. Just look at how the neighbors in Wantagh were able to ban together and fight off Billy Dean's from opening up in their town. Yet Billy Dean's is still a prime spot for degenerates in North Bellmore. There's no solidarity in North Bellmore. Never was. That's not to say there aren't concerned families in North Bellmore. There are. But the solidarity isn't there. North Bellmore was decent in the mid 80's, early 90's. But Billy Dean's and that mosque did the area in.

Last edited by LoveBeingAMommy; 05-02-2015 at 03:44 PM..

Old 05-02-2015, 04:00 PM

Bellmore is still the best area on LI IMHO. As long as you stay on the south part it's great. Have not seen any problems around here at all. Sad that N. Bellmore has gotten so much different than S. Bellmore in recent years.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:48 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
This is spot on!

A lot of Long Islanders have it deeply ingrained in them that if they see a minority or two around town (who probably even make more money than them) or a couple of un-updates houses then the place is instantly Compton
I sure do know how this is from the commentary on where I live.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:32 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Well North Merrick is on the border with areas that are not as good as N. Bellmore as is evident. N. Merrick is still nice. Don't know as much about it as I do about N. Bellmore though. My info for future of N. Bellmore comes from almost daily observation & knowing many people there. As well as being close with an long time RE investor that almost exclusively invests in Bellmore area since early 80's. It is changing & not for the better. As for N. Merrick I feel the same kind of as N. Bellmore in recommending it for buyers (longer term than a renter). If you plan to have kids (at least for now as we all know this can change) Merrick & Bellmore (south of Sunrise) is zoned for JFK HS. In Merrick or Bellmore North of Sunrise you are zoned for Calhoun. Drive by both in person & see for yourself the differences. That is only true way to see it..not from internet posts. Then people can make their best informed decisions.
Except for all those who go to Mepham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island