Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 05:01 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,526,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag7763 View Post
North Bellmore is on its way to being another Baldwin type area. Very "diverse" but not so safe and nice. It's not Hempstead or Roosevelt but it's a notch below other south shore places. General rule on the South Shore of LI is that "north" as a prefix is usually the ghetto section of a town.

Actual Bellmore is much much better.
The hell are you blathering about. North Bellmore isn't diverse, it's almost 90% white + Asian:

https://www.city-data.com/city/North-...-New-York.html

By comparison, Baldwin is less than 40% white and only 44% white + Asian.

House prices are rising in the "ghetto" north sections of the south shore Nassau towns - lots of knockdowns being flipped for $800k+ new construction. They just built a new complex of houses in North Bellmore that have been selling from $700k up to over $1m. Hardly anything close to a bad area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 09:21 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,330,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICDForumbites View Post
Agree with this. N. Bellmore, N. Merrick, Levittown, Island Trees, N. Wantagh selling like hotcakes or being flipped. The best areas for "starter" homes ie any homes under $450k in Nassau. Very family/kid centric communities (sometimes too much, lol) with good schools, great pools, green spaces and proximity to shopping, beaches, NYC, etc. The biggest downside is high taxes per home value. In part because of the family friendly nature and amenities but mostly due to limited industrial/commercial base so it's all on the backs of the homeowners. That stretch on N. Jerusalem (between Bellmore Ave and Newbridge) is a little worn and ugly but seedy isn't the right word. It's just commercial w/ a few industrial companies (oil co, a few tile companies). Go off the main drag a few blocks in any direction and it's quiet residential again.
Yup which is why I failed to even find an apt at a reasonable price there. That whole part of the county was the last good, safe area that wasn't invaded by the rich but now that it is, its just yet another area that is now off-limits to those without the means to afford inflated rent and home prices.
These younger rich folks are attracted the safety, convienence of places, and of course excellent train service for their commute. The sad thing is it is those of less income that need the train and convience to get around since many can't afford cars or have to share one, but are priced out by the rich.
OK rant mode done.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:22 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,330,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
The hell are you blathering about. North Bellmore isn't diverse, it's almost 90% white + Asian:

https://www.city-data.com/city/North-...-New-York.html

By comparison, Baldwin is less than 40% white and only 44% white + Asian.

House prices are rising in the "ghetto" north sections of the south shore Nassau towns - lots of knockdowns being flipped for $800k+ new construction. They just built a new complex of houses in North Bellmore that have been selling from $700k up to over $1m. Hardly anything close to a bad area.
I hate the knockdowns, they're happening in Levittown too and huge McMansions take their place. And the really sad thing is they cut down all the trees on the property. No respect at all for the community, because they're rich they can do what they want, zoning laws seem useless to prevent it.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:46 PM

402 posts, read 519,926 times
My best friend lives in North Bellmore and personally, i think it is a decent town. She and her husband do financially decent (about $200k annually) and it seems like most of the people in her neighborhood, make roughly the same. The community seems to be friendly and inviting. I have seen the Mansions that were recently built but they seem extremely out of place in an area full of split- levels. Not sure if they will sell for the price they are commanding, considering you could probably live in a nicer town for $700k.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:26 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,993,235 times
I lived there for 20 years. I'd never go back. If you're leaving Astoria to get a suburban vibe, don't go to North Bellmore. It's more and more like a city. Go for Wantagh school district over Bellmore any day of the week, hands down. If you're set on Bellmore, go south of Sunrise, or better yet, south of Merrick. Just my opinion.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:31 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,526,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I hate the knockdowns, they're happening in Levittown too and huge McMansions take their place. And the really sad thing is they cut down all the trees on the property. No respect at all for the community, because they're rich they can do what they want, zoning laws seem useless to prevent it.
Meh, it's more a function of the changing demand for housing. People spend more time at home and own a lot more stuff than they used to back in the 1950s when much of LI was originally built. If you're dropping $500k-$1m on a home, I can understand wanting more than a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath split level with a tiny dining room. And you want your home surrounded by other nice homes, not decrepit bungalows.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:35 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,993,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Meh, it's more a function of the changing demand for housing. People spend more time at home and own a lot more stuff than they used to back in the 1950s when much of LI was originally built. If you're dropping $500k-$1m on a home, I can understand wanting more than a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath split level with a tiny dining room. And you want your home surrounded by other nice homes, not decrepit bungalows.
I don't mind the nicer homes, but they're taking the trees down when building. A lot of cement lawns nowadays with tiny shrubbery in front of the homes. Not attractive in my opinion.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:31 AM

159 posts, read 280,156 times
Haha, if that dude thinks North Bellmore is the hood then we should take a little ride around Sutter Ave in Brownsville...ur wittle panties will really be splatted up

Long Island ppl can be so ridiculous

Old 04-29-2015, 03:43 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,913,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulHope View Post
Haha, if that dude thinks North Bellmore is the hood then we should take a little ride around Sutter Ave in Brownsville...ur wittle panties will really be splatted up

Long Island ppl can be so ridiculous
This is spot on!

A lot of Long Islanders have it deeply ingrained in them that if they see a minority or two around town (who probably even make more money than them) or a couple of un-updates houses then the place is instantly Compton

Old 05-01-2015, 04:58 PM

62 posts, read 106,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag7763 View Post
North Bellmore is on its way to being another Baldwin type area. Very "diverse" but not so safe and nice. It's not Hempstead or Roosevelt but it's a notch below other south shore places. General rule on the South Shore of LI is that "north" as a prefix is usually the ghetto section of a town.

Actual Bellmore is much much better.
You've really got to be kidding right? You really need to get out more and explore the world if you think North bellmore isn't safe because of the few minorities that live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island