Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 06:36 PM

60 posts, read 121,915 times

Advertisements

"The development of Heartland Town Square where the Long Island Expressway meets the Sagtikos Parkway will result in Long Island's first "smart growth" community. The project will include 9,000 housing units, a million square foot "life-style" center, 3 million square feet of Class A office space, a state of the art hotel and convention center, indoor and outdoor civic space and an aquarium. Fusing these venues in a planned development will create a vibrant and diverse atmosphere that will appeal to people of all ages."

How do you think this project will affect the surrounding area and do you think this is a good project in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 12:14 AM

20,280 posts, read 21,030,300 times
Sounds like a mess in the making.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:27 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,336,369 times
Why not redevelop places like Downtown Riverhead or Hicksville instead? Don't get me wrong, on paper it looks nice, but I don't see how you're going to place a mini-city right in the middle of Suffolk County. I'd like to see a more concrete plan than just some nice looking CGI.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:44 AM

886 posts, read 2,652,065 times
Future customers for the Park & Ride Pickle Park Boys.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:12 AM

118 posts, read 259,147 times
It could be done well. I've been reading about co-OP city in the a Bronx after I met someone who grew up there and loved it. One of the keys there was an ownership society and very tight control over any rentals.

Will there be income requirements? I remember reading about new housing in Patchogue that had both an income floor and cap. At the time of the article the project was very successful.

Where would the children who live there go to school? That could be the biggest impact. How far is it from the Deer Park LIRR station?

I do agree that downtown Riverhead could be revitalized; I think the town could be really great again with some thoughtful planning (and a whole lot of money).

Old 11-28-2013, 06:02 AM

4,676 posts, read 10,019,574 times
Hate it.

Existing infrastructre needs to be revitalized instead.

But then that doesn't put big money into developer pockets.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:06 AM

530 posts, read 1,363,607 times
As long as they include expanding the Sagtikos Parkway in their plans then I think it's a great idea.

The more quality jobs for Suffolk County the better.. since so many ppl are starting to prefer to move back west, there needs to be something that keeps ppl in Suffolk.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:35 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,730,290 times
Aren't most smart growth plans anchored by a transit station of sorts-- usually a train station?

Old 11-28-2013, 01:30 PM

3,923 posts, read 9,150,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathSciGirl View Post
Where would the children who live there go to school? That could be the biggest impact. How far is it from the Deer Park LIRR station?
The area is currently zoned for Brentwood schools. Maybe if the developer pushes hard enough, he can get it zoned to Commack, Deer Park, or (less likely) HHH. (He would have to do it before he starts his development, though)

As for the LIRR station, it's about a mile or two, walking through an industrial area. They plan to run a shuttle that goes around the development and connects to the LIRR station, but it's not the same as having it right by the station.

If they expanded the development to actually go down to the Deer Park station (taking over all that industrial land around the station), then it would actually make sense, because you'd have a linear corridor of dense, walkable development, instead of some little pocket that's not even by the train station.

I mean, MegaBus (I think) recently added a new service that runs along the LIE, so maybe there's some way to have it make a stop in the development to increase ridership, but a bus line isn't the same as having a train line anchoring your development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Aren't most smart growth plans anchored by a transit station of sorts-- usually a train station?
My thoughts exactly.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:34 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,165,811 times
I like it, development has to move east. If done well this could be a big step in the right direction.

These type of mini-towns in the burbs are a trend that's picking up interest everywhere, we're getting a tryout here soon with this idea. http://www.innsbrook.com/files/next/next_future_1.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island