Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:09 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,056 times

Advertisements

I think development like this is needed on Long Island. If done properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 09:56 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,957 times
You know what that's Long Island's problem. Nothing can ever be done correctly for the NIMB's out there. Wake up people we have nothing, I mean nothing. I have heard people say no one will move here, it will enrich the developers and politicians, it's not near the train the area is a mess already and it will only make it worse, bla bla bla.

Look people they build all over the country (if NYC was like this nothing would get built)and new urban planning require developers to build schools, run sewer lines, build new roads ect. They are not just allowed to put up new homes and walk away. Prime example is the fact that less people are leaving the city to move to Long Island. Why because the city has mandated that a lot of these developers who build massive apartment buildings, also build schools, that are thriving.

Please people Please don't be so blind by I don't want it next to me and end up like Nassau. I can see that area around the coliseum turning into such a great area now that the islanders are leaving. Where are they getting the money from to build this new smaller arena without a marquee tenant oh yea the tax payers. STOP IT THE SKY IS NOT FALLING!!!

Oh another example of proper urban planning. Please read from paragraph 12 on.

Last edited by nycbrooklyn; 12-04-2013 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: include link

Old 12-04-2013, 10:37 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,280 times
People are going to move here to do what live in a condo? and work at a staples please you people are so full of your selfs
heartland square : islip pines were does it end and the result will be the same you will still have nothing and the fact that

everyone compares Long island to that nanny state city is sick i havent't been to the city in 5 years (other then driving by it )
if you wan't it to be like the city move their!

Old 12-04-2013, 11:41 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Maybe they could build the worlds biggest Chick-fil-A there and turn the LIE into a giant drive-thru.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:32 PM

715 posts, read 1,234,056 times
I can tell you my generation is leaving the Island in droves. They are moving to much more friendly places for those my age range (25-34). Whether its Queens or Massachusetts or the Carolinas or Texas, my generation is making a mass exodus off the Island. And there are parents who are leaving too to live closer to their children in other environments that understand what Gen Y wants.

No, I am not looking for Queens or Manhattan type lifestyle. I am looking for a neighborhood to walk around in and be able to pick up some groceries or go to a restaurant. I want less cars. I want to be able to attend activities without having to use a car. If at all possible, have employment within a good driving distance.

Will it happen on LI? Who knows. This project is quite ambitious and I know people will tell me to move elsewhere. For now though, I live on LI, am a homeowner on LI, and enjoy being in the place I grew up in. I just wanted to see it improve and thrive like I know it can.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:47 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
I think development like this is needed on Long Island. If done properly.
We definitely need rental housing but there are many blighted areas that are already near mass transit that could be developed/redeveloped. I am sure it would be more costly but would make a lot of sense, rather than just building on vacant land that is remote.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:59 PM

But long island isin't suppose to make sense.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:08 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
We don't need any more vacant housing. We need better employment/business opportunities. This would be another developers hit and run cash grab. We have enough of these laying around. Build a damn tourist attraction. A real one. Bring in healthy tourism and business will benefit. Financial and cultural growth is needed. Not more stupid housing and developments, and even stupider little strip malls.Enough already.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
We don't need any more vacant housing. We need better employment/business opportunities. This would be another developers hit and run cash grab. We have enough of these laying around. Build a damn tourist attraction. A real one. Bring in healthy tourism and business will benefit. Financial and cultural growth is needed. Not more stupid housing and developments, and even stupider little strip malls.Enough already.
Exactly if you build this whats in it for the people who live there a mcdonalds?

Old 12-04-2013, 06:44 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
I can tell you my generation is leaving the Island in droves. They are moving to much more friendly places for those my age range (25-34). Whether its Queens or Massachusetts or the Carolinas or Texas, my generation is making a mass exodus off the Island. And there are parents who are leaving too to live closer to their children in other environments that understand what Gen Y wants.

No, I am not looking for Queens or Manhattan type lifestyle. I am looking for a neighborhood to walk around in and be able to pick up some groceries or go to a restaurant. I want less cars. I want to be able to attend activities without having to use a car. If at all possible, have employment within a good driving distance.

Will it happen on LI? Who knows. This project is quite ambitious and I know people will tell me to move elsewhere. For now though, I live on LI, am a homeowner on LI, and enjoy being in the place I grew up in. I just wanted to see it improve and thrive like I know it can.
Suffolk County population: 2000 - 1,418,399; 2010 - 1,493,350; 2012 - 1,499,273.

What exodus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island