Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 09:23 PM

77 posts, read 164,877 times

Advertisements

We think our bill is so high due to our inground pool being run for ten days 24 hours a day at the start of the summer when we first opened it. We have run the pool a filter a lot and we have VERY old in-the-wall ac units, so that is most likely our problem.
Our house has cedar shakes, updated windows and seems well insulated. Our winter bill is much less expensive then our summer bill.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 02:41 PM

65 posts, read 192,809 times
My LIPA bill is approximately $90 per month in the winter and $150 - $200 per month in the summer with window AC units. We only turn on the AC when the temperature in the house is above 80 at night. I got so used to the hot temperature I can stand up to 85 degree during the day.

Gas is about $70-80 for cooking and hot water.

Oil heat for last year is about $400/month. I'm very conservative and only turn on the heat few times a day and max out at 68.

I just converted to gas heat a few weeks ago and we'll see about the gas bill this winter and how much we can save.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:22 AM

59 posts, read 169,894 times
How much does it cost in heat with natural gas? I really need to consider whether to covert oil.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:02 AM

19 posts, read 48,661 times
Hello,
We're considering purchasing a home in hicksville, near the fork lane elementary school. (Directly behind it) I've heard that utility bills vary by "section". I'm not sure whether this is true. However, I don't know what section that would be considered?

Old 10-08-2013, 08:09 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,894,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey'sMom>:) View Post
Hello,
We're considering purchasing a home in hicksville, near the fork lane elementary school. (Directly behind it) I've heard that utility bills vary by "section". I'm not sure whether this is true. However, I don't know what section that would be considered?
We used to live a block in front of Fork Lane school. It's a great neighborhood with friendly people all around - we used to take walks all the time around the various blocks. There is no reason utility bills would be any different. The only thing that made our heating bill higher there was because of the Levitt-style ranches which are very drafty. Unless it's already been updated, I'd recommend you look into new/better insulation first and foremost with winter coming.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:40 PM

622 posts, read 853,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
Long Island has some of the most expensive energy costs in the US. Having said that, LIPA, the only source of electric on LI, is roughly $.31/kwH. For those of you who think that sounds high, run the math with the energy surcharge, taxes, fees, etc.

As far as natl gas goes, presently the main supplier is National Grid and while ng is more cost-effective than heating oil, it too is not cheap. While Natl Gas has been trading at historic lows on the commodities markets, it's trended higher as well.

Water has been steadily increasing as well, I'm about $60 for qts. 1, 3 and 4 and double that during the summer. It's still a relative bargain compared to other areas (esp. very dry areas) in the country.
By your calculation, LI electricity is probably the most luxorious electrical power in the modern world. As far as natural gas, despite what a lot of posters say on this board, nat'l gas prices are gamed on LI (in the metro NY area) so that they're no bargain. Yes, it's cheaper than oil, but LI rate payers pay much more than they should. I've heard Nat'l Grid guys gossiping, saying the official line is rate payers are paying mostly for distribution, but in reality, you're paying for inflated bonuses, pensions and benefits.

And you're right on point no. 3 as well, water rates. Places with constant drought conditions (Southwestern US, for example), water is very valuable. Long Island, with it's very wet climate, has no shortage of water. But I think in coming years, more and more wells will be shut as the precious aquifers become heavily adulterated. This is if they already aren't polluted from perc, temic, fertilizers and mbte.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:53 PM

622 posts, read 853,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
Long Island has some of the most expensive energy costs in the US. Having said that, LIPA, the only source of electric on LI, is roughly $.31/kwH. For those of you who think that sounds high, run the math with the energy surcharge, taxes, fees, etc.

As far as natl gas goes, presently the main supplier is National Grid and while ng is more cost-effective than heating oil, it too is not cheap. While Natl Gas has been trading at historic lows on the commodities markets, it's trended higher as well.

Water has been steadily increasing as well, I'm about $60 for qts. 1, 3 and 4 and double that during the summer. It's still a relative bargain compared to other areas (esp. very dry areas) in the country.
By your calculation, LI electricity is probably the most luxorious electrical power in the modern world. As far as natural gas, despite what a lot of posters say on this board, nat'l gas prices are gamed on LI (in the metro NY area) so that they're no bargain. Yes, it's cheaper than oil, but LI rate payers pay much more than they should. I've heard Nat'l Grid guys gossiping, saying the official line is rate payers are paying mostly for distribution, but in reality, you're paying for inflated bonuses, pensions and benefits.

And you're right on point no. 3 as well, water rates. Places with constant drought conditions (Southwestern US, for example), water is very valuable. Long Island, with it's very wet climate, has no shortage of water. But I think in coming years, more and more wells will be shut as the precious aquifers become heavily adulterated. This is if they already aren't polluted from perc, temic, fertilizers and mbte.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:07 AM

247 posts, read 483,525 times
For my 1,200 square foot home:

$120/mo for electricity on balanced billing
$200/mo for oil on balanced billing

my last two water bills were astronomical due to sprinkler and hose usage and the high rates during the summer. It was about $50 every two months but soared to $220 the last two bills.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:47 AM

21 posts, read 40,160 times
1800 Sq ft in Deer Park. Thermostat was at 68 last winter and I paid about $2100 for Oil. I also get hot water via my oil burner.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:22 PM

715 posts, read 1,234,775 times
Just got our first bills for our new house

For about 20 days in the house, 1500 sq ft house:
$26 for electricity - Solar panels came with our house, so that bill made us smile
$59 for water - it seems high to me, but there was a set up fee for that month. Water also came by to do a new meter reading and they didn't detect any leaks.
When we bought the house, the oil tank was only a 1/4 tank filled so we had to pay to refill it. $633 bucks later...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island