Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 05:17 PM

418 posts, read 1,071,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
After school programs are off topic. The point is taxes are based on assessments and total tax base. If your neighbor wins a grievance, YOUR taxes go up. If your house declined LESS than your neighbor's, YOUR tax goes up. If sales tax revenues come in below projections, YOUR tax goes up. You can vote for .00001% increase and your taxes can go up 10+% with ease. Welcome to Long Island! This includes school taxes. There is a fixed amount of revenue to be collected. If someone pays less, someone else pays more!

What exactly is the unit/region for this zero-sum game? Is it the whole school district, some sub-division of the school district or what?
In other words - should I care if my immediate neighbors are active grievers or what % of the whole school district files and wins?

For example, there are hot spots - streets/blocks around that have higher percentage of elderly with lower taxes. Does that affect the immediate houses around those hot spots or is the burden distributed through the school district?

Also, from Zillow (you may not take it seriously for anything but in all fairness is a good source of information otherwise not easily available), one can see that in certain "hot spots" again people are much more persistent in grieving and winning every 2 years, while in others people do not seem to grieve their taxes (or if they do - they do not win).

I can see also incentive for long-term occupants to never close permits on extensions and improvements to their houses to avoid the insane taxes - and the bill paid by the honest ones who follow the rules.

Just curious how the system works.

I asked that question here but did not get answers:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...uestion-3.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 06:54 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,728,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
For example, there are hot spots - streets/blocks around that have higher percentage of elderly with lower taxes. Does that affect the immediate houses around those hot spots or is the burden distributed through the school district?
The property tax burden burden is distributed throughout the entire taxing district.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The property tax burden burden is distributed throughout the entire taxing district.
Thanks, Walter!
So, taxing district == school district?

I am confused to see at different locations within the district, the same "tax assessment" value corresponding to different property taxes. Guess,
STAR and prior grieving may lead to that...

Old 05-23-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Walter!
So, taxing district == school district?
Yes, the school district is one of the many taxing districts that a property is located within.

Property taxes are the sum of the property tax levied by up to 20 or so taxing districts in which the property is located. These taxing districts are the county, town, village, if in a village, school district, library district, fire district, water district, sewer district, police district, police headquarters district, park district, parking district, highway district, lighting district, etc., etc., etc.

Each of these taxing districts passes a budget, some by a vote of the residents of the taxing district and others by the governing board of the taxing district.

The budget is then divided by the sum of the assessed value within the taxing district to arrive at the property tax rate, which is then applied to each individual property within the taxing district to calculate that property's tax bill for that specific property.

Do this for all the 20 or so taxing districts that a property is located in and sum these 20 or so property tax bills to arrive at the total property tax bill for that property.

Repeat the next year to calculate the next year's property tax bill, and so on and so on ...

Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 PM

Oh my...
Translated - it is close to impossible for me to know which houses around me have the exact same tax rate(and share the exact same burden) since I need to know the intersection of the 20 or so sets you are talking about.

But it's safe to assume that the ones that are the closest - on my street, my block - are most likely to be taxed at the same rate as me and to share the same burden...

It is logical to conclude that it is beneficial to have less neighbors grieving their taxes .
Though, with the school taxes forming the bulk of the taxes - maybe variations from sharing the other 19 entities are not too significant...

thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Yes, the school district is one of the many taxing districts that a property is located within.

Property taxes are the sum of the property tax levied by up to 20 or so taxing districts in which the property is located. These taxing districts are the county, town, village, if in a village, school district, library district, fire district, water district, sewer district, police district, police headquarters district, park district, parking district, highway district, lighting district, etc., etc., etc.

Each of these taxing districts passes a budget, some by a vote of the residents of the taxing district and others by the governing board of the taxing district.

The budget is then divided by the sum of the assessed value within the taxing district to arrive at the property tax rate, which is then applied to each individual property within the taxing district to calculate that property's tax bill for that specific property.

Do this for all the 20 or so taxing districts that a property is located in and sum these 20 or so property tax bills to arrive at the total property tax bill for that property.

Repeat the next year to calculate the next year's property tax bill, and so on and so on ...

Old 05-24-2012, 09:30 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,961,112 times
Quote:
Oh my...
Translated - it is close to impossible for me to know which houses around me have the exact same tax rate(and share the exact same burden) since I need to know the intersection of the 20 or so sets you are talking about.

But it's safe to assume that the ones that are the closest - on my street, my block - are most likely to be taxed at the same rate as me and to share the same burden...

It is logical to conclude that it is beneficial to have less neighbors grieving their taxes .
Though, with the school taxes forming the bulk of the taxes - maybe variations from sharing the other 19 entities are not too significant...

thanks again.

To figure out your taxes at any given time on L.I. is quite simple...just use the county's formula.....f(x) = ax^3+bx^2+cx+d

In other parts it's not as simple.. We have to x(times) the current assessed value of your home by your tax rate (.90%) An Example 350,000 x .90 = 3,150.

That's your total tax!

Simplify to its simplest form....even a third grader could figure it out.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:50 AM

305 posts, read 611,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
To figure out your taxes at any given time on L.I. is quite simple...just use the county's formula.....f(x) = ax^3+bx^2+cx+d

In other parts it's not as simple.. We have to x(times) the current assessed value of your home by your tax rate (.90%) An Example 350,000 x .90 = 3,150.

That's your total tax!

Simplify to its simplest form....even a third grader could figure it out.
Shouldn't it be .009? Your calculation above shows 90%, although I'm sure it will eventualy be that one day.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,350,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyphinfan13 View Post
shouldn't it be .009? Your calculation above shows 90%, although i'm sure it will eventualy be that one day.
There's nothing like third grade calculations.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:14 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,961,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPhinfan13 View Post
Shouldn't it be .009? Your calculation above shows 90%, although I'm sure it will eventualy be that one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post

In other parts it's not as simple.. We have to x(times) the current assessed value of your home by your tax rate (.90%) An Example 350,000 x .90% = 3,150.
Read it again ......

Old 05-24-2012, 01:23 PM

0.90% = 0.009
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island