Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:07 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,754,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player01 View Post
Tips are about the only thing I use cash for. I try to tip cash at restaurants whenever possible and obviously tip bartenders with cash, but outside of that, nothing beats the convenience of a card - even if I wasn't getting points for everything (though if you're not, you're missing out).

I think it's great when a vending machine takes cards - they all should!

Inever understand why some people seem to have a "limit" on what they will pay on a card. As in "it's only $2.49, why would I use my card?" Why wouldn't you? It's more convenient, you don't have to deal with annoying change, and, if you are part of a rewards program, you have that going for you, too!
I'm sorry I just can't justify using a credit card for such a simple thing. Kind of absurd IMO. To me, If I don't have the cash - I don't have the money, period.

Call me old school, or "backwards", I will still carry cash with me til the day I die.

And Eric - a lot of machines here take cards now...for all the people who are already in debt so they just swipe away till they are up to there nose in bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 09:19 PM

732 posts, read 1,735,633 times
If it's a debit card, I find it better to use that. I'd take out money from a supermarket or drug store, rather than go to my bank.

I could understand if it's a credit card though, it's very easy to get in trouble with that.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:10 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
That is not accurate - oil is fungible, meaning it doesn't get directly pumped from a US field or Canadian field to a Hess refinery. Oil that is available at the time needed is what the refinery takes...it's not a US/Canada or nothing deal. Don't be fooled - especially since half of the oil used in this country daily comes from the Middle East region.

Where's Walter when you need him?
I remember this story dating back to the 1980’s about Leon Hess who commented that negotiating player contracts for the Jets was no big deal because in his oil negotiations he dealt with the likes of Muammar Gaddafi, who during one session put his revolver on the table. When asked what happened, Hess replied, "I'm still here!"

Also, if you look on the Hess website, it does show that they have operations in and off the coast of Lybia, in Egypt and Iraq.

As for the topic at hand, I use a Discover card for most of my purchased, including gas. I get about a $300 cash back check at the end of the year. I just pay the balance at the end of each month so I don't give back any of that money.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:59 AM

106,735 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
If it's a debit card, I find it better to use that. I'd take out money from a supermarket or drug store, rather than go to my bank.

I could understand if it's a credit card though, it's very easy to get in trouble with that.
while that debit card may give you better control a debit card can be one big pain to deal with when you have a fraud issue. they are not bound by the same laws.

some tell you that you have the fraud protectection of a credit card but you dont really.

if an investigaion is opened there is no time limit on when you will see that money back,it can be months.

in a dispute with a vendor i rather not have to fight to get my money back.. let the credt card company fight to get their money back.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 AM

74 posts, read 555,063 times
I just stopped into the gas station in Commack on Motor parkway. I asked about the usage of a debit card. Was told that you can't pay at the pump with a debit as cash but if you go inside with the debit you will not be charged the extra $1.

Good to know.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:11 AM

5 posts, read 8,541 times
Watch out for those gas stations that show the two prices of cash and credit but when you go to use your debit card at the pump, there's no option to choose debit and are charged the credit price. I have seen 2 gas stations use this trick and the only way to get the cash price is to go to the booth.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:54 AM

246 posts, read 430,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
I'm sorry I just can't justify using a credit card for such a simple thing. Kind of absurd IMO. To me, If I don't have the cash - I don't have the money, period.

Call me old school, or "backwards", I will still carry cash with me til the day I die.

And Eric - a lot of machines here take cards now...for all the people who are already in debt so they just swipe away till they are up to there nose in bills.
Isn't it simpler to just swipe a card?

Anyway, I'm not suggesting people charge things if they don't have the money. I think that is insane and I don't personally carry any consumer debt whatsoever. Also, as I said, many people have debit cards that can be swiped where credit cards are accepted - so it's not an issue of not having the money in the first place.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:38 PM

195 posts, read 310,694 times
I like Stop N Shop because it is the closest to home and I only buy what's on sale. But I shop elsewhere like Trader Joes too. When I get to 100 pts I go to Shell even though they are usually 10 cents higher (...wonder why..). But supposedly the gas is better quality. And I use cash only now. I put $300 aside each month. One time I had 40 points and I brought both cars for a back to back fill up! They don't send the coupons out anymore though.
I can't believe they want to pass a law based on just a few stations.
Also...I think all stores get charged a fee for credit card use, but they don't charge their customers for each purchase. Or maybe it's added into the retail price.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:40 PM

195 posts, read 310,694 times
It's ashame the south can't produce enough

Old 03-19-2012, 12:41 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,754,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player01 View Post
Isn't it simpler to just swipe a card?

Anyway, I'm not suggesting people charge things if they don't have the money. I think that is insane and I don't personally carry any consumer debt whatsoever. Also, as I said, many people have debit cards that can be swiped where credit cards are accepted - so it's not an issue of not having the money in the first place.
While it is I guess simpler - when I don't have any cash on me (which is never) I feel broke, empty.

When I have a wallet full of 20's, I just feel a lot better. What can I say, I am addicted to the green!! and the smell!

I am also one of the only people left who does not have direct deposit. Yep, thats right. I literally go to the bank and cash my paycheck and get every cent of it in my hand....whilst hoping I don't get mugged on the way home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island