Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 07:18 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,991,273 times

Advertisements

I always thought Gas stations on LI charged for using a CC because this island is stuck in 1970!

When I lived in FL, I never carried cash. Why would I? it bulks up your wallet, it's dirty, and you have to deal with these metallic wafers that are such a pain in the ass to manage.

This place is so backwards, cost of living is 2070, but quality of life is 1970. This topic is just one example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 07:39 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,754,365 times
So how do you tip bartenders?

I hope you all feel classy swiping your plastic for your diet coke at the vending machine. I know I know..it is a big $1.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:53 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,718,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
to tell you the truth i wish we could charge more for credit card use for the employee time it takes to run cards, extra steps batching out and the percentage we have to pay.

it really slows things down when people use credit cards. we have to then deal with credit cards not being approved further costing more time.
BS. I have never seen a cashier than can ring me out paying cash faster than the CC machine approves me and prints a receipt. Plus half of them can't count change!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Old 03-18-2012, 12:14 PM

721 posts, read 1,567,536 times
Agree that kids can't count change. You just count backwards, it's not so hard.

I would never pay cash for gas. If I can't pay at the pump, forget it. I'm not in debt, I pay my card off every month, but anyone with two kids in carseats would agree with me.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:01 PM

185 posts, read 457,799 times
I agree that LI is stuck in the past. But it's also full of people trying to rip you off.
I drove away from 2 gas stations yesterday because they advertised $3.99/premium and $4.25/premium, and BOTH were charging $1 extra/gal for using a credit card.
Even if I used my AmEx and they were charged 5% that is no way near the extra $1 these thieves are trying to get. I am going to file a complaint against both gas stations for price gouging

Old 03-18-2012, 03:41 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,991,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post

I would never pay cash for gas. If I can't pay at the pump, forget it. I'm not in debt, I pay my card off every month, but anyone with two kids in carseats would agree with me.
I can totally see your point. that would be a pain in the ass.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:38 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Hess is always same price cash or credit (and they only use gas produces from oil mined in the US or canada).
That is not accurate - oil is fungible, meaning it doesn't get directly pumped from a US field or Canadian field to a Hess refinery. Oil that is available at the time needed is what the refinery takes...it's not a US/Canada or nothing deal. Don't be fooled - especially since half of the oil used in this country daily comes from the Middle East region.

Where's Walter when you need him?

Old 03-18-2012, 04:40 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post

Must not be paying the teachers enough. Pay them more, perhaps they will teach arithmetic in a manner that works.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:45 PM

246 posts, read 430,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
So how do you tip bartenders?

I hope you all feel classy swiping your plastic for your diet coke at the vending machine. I know I know..it is a big $1.
Tips are about the only thing I use cash for. I try to tip cash at restaurants whenever possible and obviously tip bartenders with cash, but outside of that, nothing beats the convenience of a card - even if I wasn't getting points for everything (though if you're not, you're missing out).

I think it's great when a vending machine takes cards - they all should!

I never understand why some people seem to have a "limit" on what they will pay on a card. As in "it's only $2.49, why would I use my card?" Why wouldn't you? It's more convenient, you don't have to deal with annoying change, and, if you are part of a rewards program, you have that going for you, too!

Old 03-18-2012, 07:47 PM

36 posts, read 94,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
This place is so backwards, cost of living is 2070, but quality of life is 1970. This topic is just one example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
ydsavaged's post just proves how backwards Long Island is.

I'm in Mississippi right now and even though this place is horribly backwards EVERY vending machine here excepts credit cards. You don't even have to swipe, it's all contact less payment.

I've never seen one of these in Long Island, for some reason every vending machine is wood paneled, dingy, and you can barely see through the glass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island