Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:53 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I for one, dislike Garden City.

What reason would that be? Many people dream of living there.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:06 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser
I for one, dislike Garden City.
I'd love to live in Garden City. It's a beautiful town.

Last edited by Hoosier; 09-10-2007 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: fixing your quotes

Old 09-11-2007, 02:13 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
What reason would that be? Many people dream of living there.
Just making a point. It seems that at the crux of what most people on this board consider "good" or "bad" towns comes down to good old fashioned racism. If not racism, economic prejudice. My point is that not everyone is interested in living in the same place. My remark about Garden City is simply an example of a town that many people think they would like because it is homogenious and considered wealthy. People think they would like to live there because of this. In fact, it's not much better or worse then a hundred other towns on Long Island. My in-laws lived there and, to tell you the truth, I was not all that impressed.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:34 PM

222 posts, read 892,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Just making a point. It seems that at the crux of what most people on this board consider "good" or "bad" towns comes down to good old fashioned racism. If not racism, economic prejudice. My point is that not everyone is interested in living in the same place. My remark about Garden City is simply an example of a town that many people think they would like because it is homogenious and considered wealthy. People think they would like to live there because of this. In fact, it's not much better or worse then a hundred other towns on Long Island. My in-laws lived there and, to tell you the truth, I was not all that impressed.
I'd have to agree with that statement. GC is nice, but extremely busy (stewart ave/clinton/franklin) and its proximity to hempstead leaves much to be desired. My point is that GC often seems to need hempstead to illustrate just how much "better" off they are than those folks literally across the street. I think "white-flight" early on destroyed the economic base/clout of hempstead. What was left was an area politically and economically abandoned and ignored.

But to be fair this night/day effect with respect to neighborhoods is pervasive thoughout NYC Metro area and is not common to GC alone....

Old 09-11-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOfWestbury View Post
its proximity to hempstead leaves much to be desired.
Almost every "expensive" town has a not so good neighboring town. Hempstead would not deter many people (unless your block specifically is on the border) from living in GC if they had the chance.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:48 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times
I know if I was looking for a town...one that is affluent yet down to earth and not "showy" residents, centrally located with great schools, a strong community spirit, a tremendous amount of pride, excellent services, and an overall beautiful appearance would probably make that town pretty high on my list. The arguements of traffic and proximity to undersireable areas are simply weak attempts to discredit a wonderful town. I mean, to even mention a town like this one this thread makes no sense and certainly should be viewed as off topic.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Almost every "expensive" town has a not so good neighboring town. Hempstead would not deter many people (unless your block specifically is on the border) from living in GC if they had the chance.
Certainly...back in the day, I would say that this is where the staff living. Once the massive estates, etc. ceased to exist, then the areas went down hill. Also notice that areas by train stations are not as desireable...look at Pt. Washington, Oyster Bay, Huntington, Port Jefferson, etc.

The island needs to make a concerted effort to make the areas by the train destinations ("transit villages) and turn a blight into an asset. I just hope one day the bad towns on LI are revitalized like they are/were in NYC.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
The arguements of traffic and proximity to undersireable areas are simply weak attempts to discredit a wonderful town. I mean, to even mention a town like this one this thread makes no sense and certainly should be viewed as off topic.
Yes it sort of is OT, because it is not a thread about towns we do not like for personal reasons. It is a thread about WORST towns, meaning dangerous, low property values, poor schools, etc.

I personally do not like certain other expensive towns for other reasons, but I could never conjure up a way to say they are amoung the worst towns on LI.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, Meadow and Willow are the best deals in Garden City, so a lot of young families live there. We toyed with it, but moved closed to Old Country Rd instead.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:55 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
Quote:
Yes it sort of is OT, because it is not a thread about towns we do not like for personal reasons. It is a thread about WORST towns, meaning dangerous, low property values, etc.
All is in the eye of the beholder. Again, what I read is that people posting here equate BAD with Non-White and Poor and GOOD with White and affluent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island