Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 02:19 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Kelley I am glad to see gordon heights on your list I dont think alot of other people know about this little gem. I cruised through there the other night on accident. That place is F***ing scary.LOL
You shoulda seen it 10 years ago.....its come a long way baby.

Id put Middle Island on before them....they have alot to be proud of in the Heights.

Oh and guess what...Middle Island has a Compare Foods Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

C

Old 09-05-2007, 02:26 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
You shoulda seen it 10 years ago.....its come a long way baby.

Id put Middle Island on before them....they have alot to be proud of in the Heights.

Oh and guess what...Middle Island has a Compare Foods Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

C
they kinda run into each other dont they? middle island is where I wound up.LOL

Old 09-05-2007, 03:14 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,033 times
I was driving through MI looking for an estate sale I saw an ad for, I was north of 25 just west of Ridge....I was surprised at how well kept the little neighborhood was once I got off 25. It was early in the morning but it looked like a nice family area to my surprise.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:26 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
It's amazing..the people in the Wal-Mart in Westbury vs. the people in Target...a 1/2 mi away...virtually night and day. It's bizarre, almost.
Wal-Mart sickens me and I agree with you, not the same as Target, yet they are 1/2 mile away from each other. I have only been there 2 times and both times, left feeling nauseous.

I saw more strange people in 10 mins in Wal-Mart than I could count. We ran out of there as fast as we could. Never again. It was creepy weird.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:35 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
Here are the ten towns I try to avoid at all costs and in this order

4)Freeport/Baldwin

Ok I have to comment on this.

Freeport, used to go there years ago when my cousin lived there. It was not so bad. Just drove through last month during the day heading to the Meadowbrook, and decided to stop in 7/11 right on the Merrick road. I figured how bad can a busy main road be, what could happen? From the minute I walked out of my car, a black man was peddling me for $ (while standing outside 7/11). The cashier is banging on the window, telling the man to go. Then I go in to grab a water and play mega millions, and a strange "white guy" starts making conversation with me, telling me I will win b'c he is "lucky" etc. Very creepy weirdo. I got into my car as fast as I could, with the black man hiding behind the store calling out to me for $ and the weirdo white guy still trying to talk to me, telling me that I will win the mega. And this was BROAD daylight. Never again, esp alone. I can only imagine at night.

That same week I passed through Baldwin too (coming from a drs office in Oceanside both times). I stop in Petco to get something and the weirdest druggie looking couple are there fighting. I rush out of there with my purchase, and head towards my destination in Oceanside. I see some nice houses on a main road, and WHO walks out of one of them? The ugliest transexual/transvestite I have ever seen. 6.2 ft tall white "person" or so, wearing a big red wig, 4 inch heels and a slinky black dress. In BROAD daylight. I don't know if he lived in that house/owned it/rented or was some weirdo trannie hooker leaving a call.

It was the dreggiest site I have seen that sadly reprented Baldwin.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 09-06-2007 at 04:47 PM..

Old 09-07-2007, 08:15 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Ok I have to comment on this.

Freeport, used to go there years ago when my cousin lived there. It was not so bad. Just drove through last month during the day heading to the Meadowbrook, and decided to stop in 7/11 right on the Merrick road. I figured how bad can a busy main road be, what could happen? From the minute I walked out of my car, a black man was peddling me for $ (while standing outside 7/11). The cashier is banging on the window, telling the man to go. Then I go in to grab a water and play mega millions, and a strange "white guy" starts making conversation with me, telling me I will win b'c he is "lucky" etc. Very creepy weirdo. I got into my car as fast as I could, with the black man hiding behind the store calling out to me for $ and the weirdo white guy still trying to talk to me, telling me that I will win the mega. And this was BROAD daylight. Never again, esp alone. I can only imagine at night.

That same week I passed through Baldwin too (coming from a drs office in Oceanside both times). I stop in Petco to get something and the weirdest druggie looking couple are there fighting. I rush out of there with my purchase, and head towards my destination in Oceanside. I see some nice houses on a main road, and WHO walks out of one of them? The ugliest transexual/transvestite I have ever seen. 6.2 ft tall white "person" or so, wearing a big red wig, 4 inch heels and a slinky black dress. In BROAD daylight. I don't know if he lived in that house/owned it/rented or was some weirdo trannie hooker leaving a call.

It was the dreggiest site I have seen that sadly reprented Baldwin.
I think Freeport and Baldwin are still nice by the water, Baldwin by RVC, but there are some real sketchy parts, boy.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:10 AM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,346 times
I would think that, based on what I've seen and heard, some redeeming qualities can be found for at least parts of just about any place on Long Island, with the exception of Wyandanch. This truly seems to be a wasteland to the core, with no apparent business tax base to support it whatsoever. I've driven through there a few times, and aside from bodegas and such, there doesn't even appear to be something like the ubiquitous CVS or McDonald's.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:54 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
Where did i call you Shirley? Take notice that Shirley is ranked as the best out of the ten, as i know that there are some very nice parts.

I hate it when a good movie reference gets wasted! Guess I picked a bad week to quit answering posters.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:17 AM

240 posts, read 1,056,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I hate it when a good movie reference gets wasted! Guess I picked a bad week to quit answering posters.

Oh Airplane, i never would have realized this being that some people can get pretty defensive on this board. lol my bad

Old 09-07-2007, 12:28 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Kelley I am glad to see gordon heights on your list I dont think alot of other people know about this little gem. I cruised through there the other night on accident. That place is F***ing scary.LOL
I grew up in Coram, so I know all about Gordon Heights! It's been years since I lived on LI (left in 1989), but it's nice to see that some things never change - so many of the towns on your lists are the ones I would have picked 20 years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island