Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 09:11 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,680,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
actaully, there was a story in the NY Times that spoke about schools on LI in particular (along with NJ and Westchester) in which top schools like Duke, Michigan, etc. are looking for "geographic" diversity b/c all those dumb NY kids were filling up the schools. Too good for all those filthy libs, I guess.
Better a filthy lib than another dirty con.

C

Old 08-13-2007, 10:02 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,956,576 times
Obviously major cities pay teachers more. It should be that way, since there's a night and day difference between inner city public schools and suburban public schools (i.e. NYC vs LI).

Generally, NYC and LI pay around the same, but LI has to pay for dental. NYC has it all covered, so in a way they make more money. Not much more though.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Stop we all are important in our own way should we all be overpaid I think not. Should the deli guy get the same as you because without him we wouldnt have cold cuts? We all think are jobs are important but do not compare yourself to a doctor you have to be kidding. Teach for a week ? how bad can it be my nephew is a teacher not once have I heard him say how hard his job is. You are helping the future of america? well america is in the toilet as of now maybe we should get the teachers to give back some. and how is learning home ec molding future america?

You're very ignorant. For you to say that teachers don't help the future of America is being very ignorant. I'd love to see you trade places with my boyfriend who taught high school in one of the top 10 worst high schools of NYC. Hearing about kids getting killed, his students getting pregnant and bringing babies in, gang fights in the halls, 22 year old freshmen, etc. Now, if you can somehow even get their attention during class, then that's something. Not only that, but have them pass the regents so they can get out of high school. If teaching is so easy, why do nearly 50% of all city teachers quit within 1.5 years? Sounds like a cakewalk, doesn't it?

Actually, nevermind...I don't think you can teach; you have worse grammar than the 4th graders I student taught with.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:19 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,517,978 times
The LI teachers are GROSSLY underpaid! To combat that, all current LI school taxes will be doubled, effective for the school year beginning in September, 2007!

Old 08-13-2007, 10:39 PM

I believe LI teachers' salaries are good for now, since taxes are a lot as it is. But with the cost of living rising, the salaries (and therefore the taxes) will start to go up.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:29 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,936,563 times
I don't have any problems with teachers pay, I think their benefits are too generous & not current with today's times. However considering most teachers are doing alot more than teaching these kids, in the "bad" areas they may be the only positive adult role model in a kids life, in the "good" areas they are filling in as parents to kids who's real parents are working extra long hours to pay for the leased infinty & the unlimited text messaging plans.
I have more of a problem with school admin salary, I have never in 20 years met a school nurse that was worth her weight in pennies, why can't one of the woman in the main office learn the most basic first aid (which is all the nurse is capable of) & learn how to call parents to pick up their kid? Why do we need 3-5 guidance conselors in every school? I've yet to met one of them that I was impressed with in anyway. Why do we still have so many paper pushers in every district office when everything has been computerized for at least 5 years?
These are some of the salaries we should be looking more closely at, not the teachers. For once I'd like to go into a school & see SOMEBODY in administration working HARD instead of slowly & ineffiecntly!

Old 08-14-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
I don't have any problems with teachers pay, I think their benefits are too generous & not current with today's times. However considering most teachers are doing alot more than teaching these kids, in the "bad" areas they may be the only positive adult role model in a kids life, in the "good" areas they are filling in as parents to kids who's real parents are working extra long hours to pay for the leased infinty & the unlimited text messaging plans.
I have more of a problem with school admin salary, I have never in 20 years met a school nurse that was worth her weight in pennies, why can't one of the woman in the main office learn the most basic first aid (which is all the nurse is capable of) & learn how to call parents to pick up their kid? Why do we need 3-5 guidance conselors in every school? I've yet to met one of them that I was impressed with in anyway. Why do we still have so many paper pushers in every district office when everything has been computerized for at least 5 years?
These are some of the salaries we should be looking more closely at, not the teachers. For once I'd like to go into a school & see SOMEBODY in administration working HARD instead of slowly & ineffiecntly!
I agree on the Admin...thats where the money gathers.

C

Old 08-14-2007, 06:43 AM

So whats the bottom line people?
yea/nay
C

Old 08-14-2007, 07:20 AM

553 posts, read 1,935,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You're very ignorant. For you to say that teachers don't help the future of America is being very ignorant. I'd love to see you trade places with my boyfriend who taught high school in one of the top 10 worst high schools of NYC. Hearing about kids getting killed, his students getting pregnant and bringing babies in, gang fights in the halls, 22 year old freshmen, etc. Now, if you can somehow even get their attention during class, then that's something. Not only that, but have them pass the regents so they can get out of high school. If teaching is so easy, why do nearly 50% of all city teachers quit within 1.5 years? Sounds like a cakewalk, doesn't it?

Actually, nevermind...I don't think you can teach; you have worse grammar than the 4th graders I student taught with.
I think you are very imature. and yes my grammar and spelling are bad oh well. You dont like my opinion so you attack me personally shame on you. And not all teachers teach in those elements honey most on Long Island do not.If all that is going on in those schools I guess the teachers are not making a difference are they? The regents crap in NY is a joke also.I do teach just not english but I teach kids sports and music mostly for free.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:43 AM

553 posts, read 1,935,971 times
I have seen the light forgive me for I know not what I write. I think we should pay everyone more! I think that garbage men should get atleast 150000 a year.ooops I bet some allready do. what about the town guys na they get paid for I dont know what but give them a free car. If we paid less for public service, taxes would be lower and we would not have to make as much.But seeing how we pay so much for public services everyone should make more money not just public service dont you think? Hey I dont begrudge anyone,teachers have the best racket going you are off when all the kids are, weekends, hollidays ,summer get paid great after a while. what a great job,If you do it because you like to teach .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island