Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 01:44 PM

74 posts, read 207,803 times

Advertisements

I think teachers should be paid well. These are professionals with masters degrees (usually with additional credits) who are also mandated reporters. They are in charge of the lives of 100s of students a year. They should be well compensated. Should a gym teacher be paid the same as an Advanced Placement Social Studies teacher? Probably not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 01:47 PM

4,702 posts, read 8,788,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMonster View Post
I think teachers should be paid well. These are professionals with masters degrees (usually with additional credits) who are also mandated reporters. They are in charge of the lives of 100s of students a year. They should be well compensated. Should a gym teacher be paid the same as an Advanced Placement Social Studies teacher? Probably not.
clearly you're not aware of the groundbreaking advances our gym teachers have been making in kickball and jumping jacks. This is truly amazing stuff!

Old 04-07-2011, 01:49 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,375,106 times
Quote:
Spare me the "professionals" nonsense.

No true white collar professional is in a TRADE UNION, for crying out loud. The only exception I have ever heard of is certain types of engineers, and even those are generally only in trade unions when they work in a trade union dominated company.

Professional means you are educated, sophisticated, and intelligent enough to be in charge of your own career.

People who need a trade union "nanny" to suck the taxpayers dry are not professionals in any sense of the word.

If teachers are such professionals, then they should give up the unions and manage their careers themselves like real professionals do.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:56 PM

74 posts, read 207,803 times
Stop your elitist nonsense. A union is necessary because of the corruption and nepotism within school districts. I am in charge of my own career and use a union to protect my rights as a worker/teacher. If we gave up trade unions, our salaries, benefits, and pensions would go away. In addition, a union protects us against arbitrary firing due to an administrator needing his niece/nephew a job. Obviously, teachers are the intelligent ones who are doing very well for themselves.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:58 PM

4,702 posts, read 8,788,336 times
Quote:
Stop your elitist nonsense. A union is necessary because of the corruption and nepotism within school districts. I am in charge of my own career and use a union to protect my rights as a worker/teacher. If we gave up trade unions, our salaries, benefits, and pensions would go away. In addition, a union protects us against arbitrary firing due to an administrator needing his niece/nephew a job. Obviously, teachers are the intelligent ones who are doing very well for themselves.
school districts are free of nepotism and corruption? In what part of Fantasy Land do you teach?

Old 04-07-2011, 02:05 PM

98 posts, read 776,585 times
I think most of them are in the union because you cannot work in school without being in the union. I think unions are useless and are past their time. They are no longer helpful to the workers (in a long term/overall picture).

Teachers being paid what they are....I think all that are above their heads -the District management and all their office crap being paid way beyond what it should be....

btw if you have a few minutes go here
HBR's Idea Watch: Strange-But-True Research Insights - HBR IdeaCast - Harvard Business Review

skip to about 8:15 into the show.

Pretty interesting, if true.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:07 PM

886 posts, read 2,653,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
I'm glad Cuomo's getting tough with them. Maybe there is hope.
Umm...last I looked all Mr Sandra Lee does is talk. So far just idle talk.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:08 PM

400 posts, read 764,640 times
Quote:

Maybe there should be a taxpayer union, to protect us from the grubby teachers.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,375,106 times
Quote:
Teachers don't have to be in unions. Many states don't have teachers' unions. Teachers in private schools on LI are also not in unions. Unions are not a necessity. And it is laughable if you think that unions have cured the corruption and nepotism in school districts. The unions have added to it because it is just another layer of "connectedness" to get a job ... be connected to someone high up in the union. It is very odd how you express yourself ... usually talking about teachers in the third person and occasionally slipping and stating that you are one. Which is it already? Your unions have destroyed the property taxpayers of LI. You cannot deny that.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:10 PM

98 posts, read 776,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
Maybe there should be a taxpayer union, to protect us from the grubby teachers.

I'd join! - and the union fees would be more taxes???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island