Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:30 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,298,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Show me a "child-free" property owner that pays school taxes on LONG ISLAND and feels ripped off financing Jdawg's public education. Here's a little refresher course on Long Island in case you are unfamiliar with the area> [URL="http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ADPTable?_bm=y&-geo_id=05000US36059&-qr_name=ACS_2009_5YR_G00_DP5YR2&-ds_name=ACS_2009_5YR_G00_&-_lang=en&-redoLog=false&-_sse=on"]Nassau County, New York - Selected Social Characteristics in the United States: 2005-2009[/URL]
I said DIDN'T. Please READ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 02:37 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,806,464 times
So, about this woman...

Are any of the others here considering that if this woman is accommodated by the county, does it set a precedent for others to
demand equal treatment (under the law)? Will every other prisoner with a valid health condition, be crying for want of that extra measure
of system charity? Is this an open door for county prisoners to tie up the justice system or to abuse it, in bringing about whatever legal
wrangling might ensue? I'm not as concerned with her being rescheduled to reappear in court, the judge is being decent about that issue.
What really runs against my grain is that feeling that I get whenever I'm on a line somewhere, the bank or the supermarket, any line, and
someone buffaloes their way to the front. Often, these cheeky people turn back and look to see whose nose is out of joint over it, as they
mumble their lame excuses, " double parked, in a hurry, wife's waiting outside, gonna have a baby". It's like they know that decent people
are too inhibited to complain, sooner or later they'll back off, and the line jumper just wins.

I'm afraid that there will be a collective feeling of entitlement among others who may also have medical issues, like that cancer case
living in a house out in the Hamptons, or however I've seen it quoted around the internet. I rue the day when the county starts sending the
prisoners home in cabs or giving them a county Visa card and telling them to keep in touch. I long for the day when prisoners finally go back
to making brooms or stamping out license plates...

Old 01-23-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
So, about this woman...

Are any of the others here considering that if this woman is accommodated by the county, does it set a precedent for others to
demand equal treatment (under the law)? Will every other prisoner with a valid health condition, be crying for want of that extra measure
of system charity? ...

I'm afraid that there will be a collective feeling of entitlement among others who may also have medical issues, like that cancer case
living in a house out in the Hamptons, or however I've seen it quoted around the internet. I rue the day when the county starts sending the
prisoners home in cabs or giving them a county Visa card and telling them to keep in touch. I long for the day when prisoners finally go back
to making brooms or stamping out license plates...
You are overreacting to this whole thing. Again, the woman is DYING.

When an inmate is dying and needs a transplant, your choices are for them to get a transplant while an inmate, on taxpayer dime, or to release them to find their own health care, which they may or may not have success with, and re-sentence them later. Many will end up getting their health care through Medicaid, simply because they don't have jobs or are indigent, in which case, guess what? It's still on the taxpayer dime.

Leaving them to rot in a cell until they are dead is not an option.

1. It is inhumane and against the law.

2. Talk about lawsuits. If you think the families of the inmates who killed themselves are wreaking havoc, it would be much, MUCH worse.

Also, you misunderstood the comment about cancer. One person's cancer should not be some rich insurance executive's, insurance company shareholder's, or doctor's house in the Hamptons. I am not talking about patients somehow getting rich off their own illness. I am talking about the exploitation of the sick in a health care system driven more by profit than the needs of patients. HUGE difference.

As for sending patients home in a cab with a county Visa, please leave the hyperbole home. It's ridiculous and adds nothing to the discussion.

Last edited by Yzette; 01-23-2011 at 03:56 PM..

Old 01-23-2011, 04:43 PM

324 posts, read 336,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
One person's cancer should not be some rich insurance executive's, insurance company shareholder's, or doctor's house in the Hamptons.
I'm no insurance expert, but how can an insurance executive or shareholders make money on a patient's cancer? I would think that when someone gets cancer, the insurance company gets hurt the most financially (other than the patient) since they have to pay out the medical bills.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:44 PM

Somehow, I just knew the barracuda would be lurking. Avienne, we're ALL dying, one way or another. Rotting in a
cell? Dickins might've said that as succinctly as he penned "Hard Times" or any other of his Victorian novels. Rotting, is not
only an obvious stretching of the reality of this woman's situation, it's so prosaic as to be disqualified, NOBODY in Nassau
county rots, and most certainly not in the pampered penal institution, there at Nassau county. Why, simply using that
term, "rotting", is an affront to my intelligence, if I were a criminal, I'd be honored to do my time at the Nassau County jail,
it's a veritable cakewalk, many have done a year or more, standing on their heads. I've heard stories about the addicts who
can't connect with their fix out on the street, getting purposely busted so that they could buy their smack on the cellblock.

No, you'll never convince me that this wayward woman deserves to be coddled, by cutting to the front of the
county priority line, to have her personal triumph over the system. We're ALL worthy, a worker is worth their wage. This
woman could've thrown her burden upon the Lord, gone down to that storefront Pentacostal church and petitioned Jesus,
to lift her burden. She went to Target, swiped a cartfull and now she finds herself between a rock and a hard place, I have
no tears for her cause. Tonight, I'm going through a rite of passage. I'm in my 99th week, going to get my last shmeer from
the state. As I click off the last of my benefits, I'll keep in mind the reality that life is cold, hard and fast, its far removed
from Disneyland, and impersonal and universal in this fact: We come, we go. Nothing more, nothing less, and how fickle is fate?
This woman is probably going to either be a first tier winner at Megaball or be hired as a matron there at the Nassau County jail.
Somehow, it always seems to happen that way, doesn't it?

Old 01-23-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
I'm no insurance expert, but how can an insurance executive or shareholders make money on a patient's cancer? I would think that when someone gets cancer, the insurance company gets hurt the most financially (other than the patient) since they have to pay out the medical bills.
Rent Sicko.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Rent Sicko.
LOL I see, that's where you got your misinformation.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Karma has a way of slapping people.
Let's be nice on here. No need to threaten another poster with karma. Unbelievable.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
LOL I see, that's where you got your misinformation.
Well, hey, I'm not going to give a class in the horrors of the American health care system and why medicine should not be a capitalist sport. Were it up to me, we'd have universal, single-payor health care like the rest of the civilized world and that would be the end of it, no insurance companies necessary. If you want people to explain it to you, go to one of the other subforums where it's a regular topic of discussion.

Quote:
Let's be nice on here. No need to threaten another poster with karma. Unbelievable.
Karma is only a threat to those who deserve it to be.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
You're the one who wants a woman to die because she shoplifted but I'm a barracuda.

Whatever, Eddie. If you're on week 99, well, I guess you just haven't tried hard enough to get a job. You must be lazy. Lazy people don't deserve help. You'd better not get sick, either. I don't want to pay for lazy people. And let's hope you never have to resort to stealing to put food in your stomach. Karma has a way of slapping people.
Hunny, I don't want a job. I've had a lifetime of jobs. No, I'm not lazy, but you certainly put a pronouncement upon the unemployed masses.
While you were skipping rope or playing potsy, I was in the military, serving my country. I didn't get a medal or any ribbons, but I'm still more than
qualified to make a distinction between laziness and being humped. We'll hash this black woman to her grave with the bantering of words but still,
life will go on and perhaps you'll feel the pressure of life as it moves in upon you, ever encroaching upon your sanity, your budget and that wracked
set of principals that has lulled you into this woman's web. As you stand out there in left field, picking up mullberries as you wait for the short bus,
I'll keep you in mind. Avie, I'm gonna make it! Thank you for inciting, inviting, (or inspiring) me to maximize on my marijuana buzz. Without your patent
feedback, I'd be nothing at all.

Sugar, it's all good...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island