Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:28 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
I usually agree with you, but asking the poster if he pays taxes is mute. You're coming off as a Moderator cut: language removed

in this thread.

Felony larceny is for anything theft worth over $500. I'm sure many people steal more than that from the Government through not paying their full-owed taxes.

You sentencing the lady a death sentence while serving a crime for stealing from target is a bit harsh.
I didn't see the last flawed statement first go-around, a little extreme there nyliguy?
NO ONE is sentencing anyone to a death sentence. I expected you to be more honest than that. Let's stop throwing around the flawed Straw-Man argument and focus on responsibility and the mantra of you reap what you sow - she can wait til she is released for her crimes to receive help from the rest of humanity. I could easily say this woman caused a few families to go into bankruptcy and ultimately into poverty, with her larcenous behavior. A multiple offender of felony larceny in the thousands of dollars (possibly $10's of thousands unchecked), chances are she has crippled a business or two somewhere in the county with her uncaught thefts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
Why not, NY state taxpayers already pay for electric plastic surgery for teachers who pay nothing into their health benefits.
Teachers provide a valuable service to the community and to taxpayers. Comparing that to a felon that has little regard for the rest of us, is absurd. What has this felon done for anyone, besides terrorizing local businesses and being a scourge on humanity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Why do you insist upon laying a guilt trip on me, steeped in the basis of this woman's personal
problem? I say, let her take her chances as they come, like every other of us who've had to shoulder
our own yoke and burden as we move along through a toughening life. If we have not come to fully
understand what self sufficiency means, or have singed our God given consciences and numbed them
to the point where we become criminals, one cannot rightfully expect society to carry that burden for
us. You may continue to take a Mother Teresa attitude but you'll not hide from the issue, in a cloud of
aspersions, cast over my posted opinion.

Where, in this whole picture, do you derive your postulated assumption, that this poor woman is being
consigned to a death penalty, either by the system or here in a public forum? Sometimes, life is simply
the luck of the draw, when a bicyclist or a pedestrian is mowed down in traffic, it's just where the chips
landed. Why must we pour money into building up this woman's heart, her hopes and her health, only to
make her well enough so that the same system can exact their pound of flesh, and their fit measure of
impractical justice. Its all just pi$$ing in the wind.

Avienne, I can readily agree with you in this regard. My first impulse upon reading about this unfortunate
woman, was to remember an old slogan that we used to bat around at A.A. meetings: "There, but for the
grace of God, go I". The second impulse, was to pull out my MP3, plug in my Bose headphones and set the
background mood, to that great song by The Hollies, "He ain't heavy, he's my brother". I wish everyone good
health because any person who needs radical care or treatment, and cannot pay for that treatment or operation,
runs an equal risk of death as this woman. If the law dictates, in effect, that you pay or you die, then that be the
case, but to assert that I, or others, seek to to sentence this woman to death, is a sad convolution and a gross
distortion of the intent, with which it was posted.

In all lives, there are times when we must make adjustments to our personal values. It is the world outside
of my door that has given the dollar its value. That world is changing my focus, perhaps sharpening up my vision,
allowing me to put my heart away when making logical decisions. This is not a time for heart, it is a time for logic.
If in my previous comment, I illustrated the point, that as our legislators busy themselves watching the pennies,
the dollars fly out the window. Need I point out that the pennies make up the dollars, and that the buck, stops here.
It's not worth it Ed. Sometimes people feel they need to be the center of attraction in every single controversy on the Internet. If things were logical, then the people that support this would have started a charity for this felon to receive the undeserved transplant.

If things were logical, then all the people that try to exude this faux-Mother-Teresa attitude, would be the ones putting their money where their mouth is. We need structural change regarding taxes. People that support certain ludicrous taxpayer waste like this, need to check a box.. So when tax time comes, they can pay the "fraction of a penny" (so cliche) that most of us logical taxpayers do not approve of. I bet then that they'd drop their holier-than-thou facade, in a heart-beat.

Last edited by Pequaman; 01-22-2011 at 01:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 01:46 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,283,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I didn't see the last flawed statement first go-around, a little extreme there nyliguy?
NO ONE is sentencing anyone to a death sentence. I expected you to be more honest than that. Let's stop throwing around the flawed Straw-Man argument and focus on responsibility and the mantra of you reap what you sow - she can wait til she is released for her crimes to receive help from the rest of humanity. I could easily say this woman caused a few families to go into bankruptcy and ultimately into poverty, with her larcenous behavior. A multiple offender of felony larceny in the thousands of dollars (possibly $10's of thousands unchecked), chances are she has crippled a business or two somewhere in the county with her uncaught thefts.
"Chances are?" Speculation doesn't fly in court. Do you know the specifics of her case? Do you know her history? Do you know what's in her rap sheet? You could easily say a lot of things, but it's all speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
It's not worth it Ed. Sometimes people feel they need to be the center of attraction in every single controversy on the Internet. If things were logical, then the people that support this would have started a charity for this felon to receive the undeserved transplant.

If things were logical, then all the people that try to exude this faux-Mother-Teresa attitude, would be the ones putting their money where their mouth is. We need structural change regarding taxes. People that support certain ludicrous taxpayer waste like this, need to check a box.. So when tax time comes, they can pay the "fraction of a penny" (so cliche) that most of us logical taxpayers do not approve of.
It's only controversial here because someone dared to disagree with the collective bloodlust. Tough noogs, so you can cease and desist with the ad hom.

Humans aren't Vulcans. Compassion is not always logical. Neither are knee-jerk reactions like yours. You make it sound like this woman is going on a pleasure cruise, drinking margaritas, and whooping it up while awaiting a guaranteed heart transplant. The fact is that she may not even get approved for the procedure in the first place. If she doesn't, then what? You've wasted your energy getting bent out of shape over nothing.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:58 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,338,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Yes, you, Newsday, and the attorney are.
When I looked at the Nassau County budget section for the Nassau County Jail, there was no line that said "personal health care for prisoners," let alone a line that said, "heart transplants for prisoners."

Old 01-22-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
When I looked at the Nassau County budget section for the Nassau County Jail, there was no line that said "personal health care for prisoners," let alone a line that said, "heart transplants for prisoners."

Good for you. They don't get personal health care. That's why there's a medical unit in the jail.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:52 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,803,065 times
Quote:
As long as we're commenting on the Nassau County jail, and budget cuts, I think that they could save the
taxpayers a few dollars, by installing a gallows, thus saving us a bit of money, on torn bed sheets.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, you, Newsday, and the attorney are.
The Judge must be incorrect too.

The whole premise of letting the inmate out of jail was because she needed a heart transplant and would surely die.

Yet all along, she could have gotten one right in the Nassau County Jail at taxpayer expense.

What was everyone thinking?

Old 01-22-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Good for you. They don't get personal health care. That's why there's a medical unit in the jail.

Well what kind of health care is given to prisoners? Impersonal? What specific WORDS and TERMINOLOGY should I have looked for in the budget?

Anyway, I thought the medical unit was next door at Nassau University Medical Center and whenever inmates sue because of bad medical care, it's actually NUMC's fault? Boy am I getting confused.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:02 PM

324 posts, read 335,724 times
Quote:
The Judge must be incorrect too.The whole premise of letting the inmate out of jail was because she needed a heart transplant and would surely die.
Yet all along, she could have gotten one right in the Nassau County Jail at taxpayer expense.
I was wondering the same thing. How could this be put on Nassau County taxpayer's tab being done in the jail? I didn't realize they handled such advanced procedures as heart transplants over there.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:31 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,223 times
Quote:
Broken record that sounds like the only thing that is important in this world is a dollar. Right. It's a good thing child-free people didn't feel that way about financing your public education with their tax dollars.
Show me a "child-free" property owner that pays school taxes on LONG ISLAND and feels ripped off financing Jdawg's public education. Here's a little refresher course on Long Island in case you are unfamiliar with the area> Nassau County, New York - Selected Social Characteristics in the United States: 2005-2009

Quote:
"Chances are?" Speculation doesn't fly in court. Do you know the specifics of her case? Do you know her history? Do you know what's in her rap sheet? You could easily say a lot of things, but it's all speculation.
I was using the same argument you were making, except mine has some truth to it. She did steal a lot more than $3800. You claim we're all sentencing her to death, which is BS.
Are you the Judge? Do you know her history?
You claimed she only stole $3800 worth of goods. I can tell you for a fact that she stole a lot more than that. You think every shoplifter gets caught on their first or second attempt? Try 1 in 50 attempts get caught. Half of those are released without police action. She stole a whole lot from society and got caught multiple times.

Quote:
It's only controversial here because someone dared to disagree with the collective bloodlust. Tough noogs, so you can cease and desist with the ad hom.
Tough noogs? Are we 12? I think "the felon fed her cockatoo, lied with dogs, and woke up with fleas" would've been more appropriate.

Quote:
Humans aren't Vulcans. Compassion is not always logical. Neither are knee-jerk reactions like yours. You make it sound like this woman is going on a pleasure cruise, drinking margaritas, and whooping it up while awaiting a guaranteed heart transplant. The fact is that she may not even get approved for the procedure in the first place. If she doesn't, then what? You've wasted your energy getting bent out of shape over nothing.
Who's the one throwing around the Ad Homs? I've stated my position clearly and won't fall for the straw-man. I threw out the Ad hom to find out why you seem to be in the middle of every controversy involving taxpayers, and every controversy in general; and always taking the minority position that promotes the swindling of taxpayers and accelerating our course to becoming Cuba North.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Well what kind of health care is given to prisoners? Impersonal? What specific WORDS and TERMINOLOGY should I have looked for in the budget?

Anyway, I thought the medical unit was next door at Nassau University Medical Center and whenever inmates sue because of bad medical care, it's actually NUMC's fault? Boy am I getting confused.

Write once, edit twice. You used the word "personal," not me. Just answering you in kind.

Quote:
The Judge must be incorrect too.

The whole premise of letting the inmate out of jail was because she needed a heart transplant and would surely die.

Let me clarify. This isn't a matter of where the procedure is done (what building). All inmate health care is a taxpayer expense. Always has been. Always will be. It's no different than any other jail. They get immunizations. They get routine health care. They get medications. They get surgeries. They get transplants. The only reason this particular case made the news is because she was released. Usually they aren't.

And yes, if a doctor or other care provider at the hospital botches their job, it's not the jail's fault. It's the doctor or provider's (hospital's) fault.

Last edited by Yzette; 01-23-2011 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island