Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:14 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,760,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Did you read this article yesterday in the NYtimes http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/21/bu...ankruptcy.html

Interesting piece :

Policy makers are working behind the scenes to come up with a way to let states declare bankruptcy and get out from under crushing debts, including the pensions they have promised to retired public workers.

Bankruptcy could permit a state to alter its contractual promises to retirees, which are often protected by state constitutions, and it could provide an alternative to a no-strings bailout. Along with retirees, however, investors in a state’s bonds could suffer, possibly ending up at the back of the line as unsecured creditors.

I see they want it all now....doesn't surprise me one bit.

**Sorry didn't see your link there**
No prob. Now do you see why people are screaming "STOP THE SPENDING!!!". It really has nothing to do with "hating cops, teachers or welfare recepients" (https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...elief-act.html) <-- I point out here how we have problems across the board in Nassau County.
I don't know if people realize this, but a lot of people in my family, my neighbors, friends and my area are public servants. But that doesn't change the fact that the excessive spending has to come to an end, otherwise we all suffer. I have the highest respect for teachers, cops and all county/state workers. I definitely do not have respect for this inmate that is costing taxpayers probably a cool $Million with this garbage. What's next, are we going to foot the bill for rapists to get lasik eye surgery?? Is someone in the country going to be denied a transplant to save this woman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Consider the facts:

1. She's serving a 15-month sentence...

2. ...for petty larceny.

3. Doctors said she would die within 6 months without a transplant.

4. She is traveling to a facility to see if she is eligible for receiving a heart. This is only screening to see if her physical situation qualifies her.

5. There is no donor heart waiting for her or any guarantee that there ever will be.

6. Nassau County wouldn't pay for the transplant in the event she qualifies and there is a donor match. That comes out of Medicaid.

7. The article did not say where the funds for moving her for her screening come from.

8. The judge said he'd resentence her after her health issues are resolved.

Judging by the comments here so far, it sounds like people feel she should be denied the chance to obtain a transplant, which in effect is sentencing her to death for shoplifting.

I think that's a bit harsh.
Did you miss this post? https://www.city-data.com/forum/17514677-post6.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIEDDIE
>She pleaded guilty to two counts of stealing about $3,800 in merchandise from a Target store on two occasions in 2009 and 2010.
She took the merchandise while on parole from Bedford Hills Correctional Facility on a felony larceny conviction.<

Yes Mike, you are entirely correct, the system is broken to a point of outrage!
Do you pay taxes?

Old 01-21-2011, 12:34 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,298,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Did you miss this post? [URL]https://www.city-data.com/forum/17514677-post6.html[/URL]

Do you pay taxes?

No, I did not. What is your point? You want this woman to die because she stole something from Target. I think that's harsh.

Stay on topic. This thread is not about me and my taxes.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:46 PM

745 posts, read 1,508,222 times
Quote:
No, I did not. What is your point? You want this woman to die because she stole something from Target. I think that's harsh.
She stole more than something from Target. She stole thousands of dollars worth of merchandise while still on parole for a felony shoplifting charge.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
She stole more than something from Target. She stole thousands of dollars worth of merchandise while still on parole for a felony shoplifting charge.
Thank you Steph.

Quote:

Stay on topic. This thread is not about me and my taxes.
No, I can easily say, you want someone else to die because they are denied a transplant to save this felon?

It is on topic, Eddie addressed "Taxpayers" and in the OP he asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie
While our legislators scramble to pull pennies out of the budget, our taxpayer dollars, are flying out the window.

How do YOU feel about this?

Old 01-21-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Thank you Steph.

Then the issue is whether she should have been out on parole? No. I don't believe in parole.

That doesn't mean she should die for $3,800 worth of stolen goods. That's just cruel and unusual.

Also, re-read my points. If there is a match for her, that's not necessarily taking a heart away from someone else. Learn about organ donation and how it works.

Now as for your nosy inquisition, let's just say that I'm in no danger of being a financial burden to you, so can it with your attempts to insult me or start a flame war. As most of this thread has gone OT anyway, you're just going to get it shut down.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:00 PM

398 posts, read 839,572 times
Quote:
What's next, are we going to foot the bill for rapists to get lasik eye surgery?? Is someone in the country going to be denied a transplant to save this woman?
Why not, NY state taxpayers already pay for electric plastic surgery for teachers who pay nothing into their health benefits.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:08 PM

398 posts, read 839,572 times
Quote:
Thank you Steph.

No, I can easily say, you want someone else to die because they are denied a transplant to save this felon?

I usually agree with you, but asking the poster if he pays taxes is mute. You're coming off as a Moderator cut: language removed

in this thread.

Felony larceny is for anything theft worth over $500. I'm sure many people steal more than that from the Government through not paying their full-owed taxes.

You sentencing the lady a death sentence while serving a crime for stealing from target is a bit harsh.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-21-2011 at 06:38 PM..

Old 01-21-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
I usually agree with you, but asking the poster if he pays taxes is mute. You're coming off as a J**koff in this thread.

Felony larceny is for anything theft worth over $500. I'm sure many people steal more than that from the Government through not paying their full-owed taxes.

[/font][/color]
Not really though nyliguy. One trend I noticed with the free spenders is them telling other people how to spend their tax dollars. Here's an idea. The people that want to pay for it can start a charity devoted to her, kick in their own money and raise $1 Million plus to cover all expenses. Sound fair? Any takers?

Old 01-21-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Not really though nyliguy. One trend I noticed with the free spenders is them telling other people how to spend their tax dollars. Here's an idea. The people that want to pay for it can start a charity devoted to her, kick in their own money and raise $1 Million plus to cover all expenses. Sound fair? Any takers?

Given that I pay the full 14% of SSI tax, your point is invalid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island