Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 02:56 PM

10 posts, read 59,942 times

Advertisements

Been looking at some homes in Syosset as I hear good things about the school district. But since the hamlet of Syosset is so big, it's hard to find specific info between the different parts of Syosset. For example,

1) Is there a difference in the quality of the schools between "North" Syosset and "South" Syosset?

2) Is there a difference in the ethnic makeup? For example, does the southeast side (bordering Hicksville/Plainview near SOB) have a higher percentage of Asian-Indians compared to the north side bordering Jericho?

Any other differences north or south of the LIE/NSP for Syosset in general?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times
I don't know where North/South really came from. It's 1 school district. Even a realtor who was selling a home in Syosset said there's no such thing. I guess "north" means better in general but it certainly doesn't apply for Syosset... a few homes close toward the LIRR (north) were in worse condition than some we've seen in the south. Really the homes in the town weren't anything special - a bit overpriced and very many not updated - price is because of the schools. Train cuts through a lot of the homes "backyards" too. Jackson Ave still hasn't been re-done, it's a terrible representation of the town - was very unimpressed.

Ethnic makeup - there's asians in Hicksville, Jericho, and Plainview, though more asian-indians in Hicksville. It's most likely all spread over in Syosset... the homes are pretty much the same all over Syosset.

We seriously looked at 3 towns... Plainview, Old-Bethpage, and Syosset and my opinion is you get more home for your money in Plainview and a better looking area (much more residential), but the schools aren't as "prestigious" and the taxes slightly more. Really the last part is moot since you'd pay a lot more (~$100k) for the same home in Syosset up front.

Last edited by ovi8; 12-04-2010 at 11:53 AM..

Old 12-04-2010, 12:01 PM

57 posts, read 166,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesk99 View Post
Been looking at some homes in Syosset as I hear good things about the school district. But since the hamlet of Syosset is so big, it's hard to find specific info between the different parts of Syosset. For example,

1) Is there a difference in the quality of the schools between "North" Syosset and "South" Syosset?

2) Is there a difference in the ethnic makeup? For example, does the southeast side (bordering Hicksville/Plainview near SOB) have a higher percentage of Asian-Indians compared to the north side bordering Jericho?

Thanks in advance!
There is absolutely no difference in demographic make-up among the parts of the Syosset hamlet. All areas are considered equal and all elementary schools are considered equal. Of course, there are wealthier areas of Syosset and there are more middle-class areas of Syosset. That is true throughout the whole hamlet. I would say that Walt Whitman probably is the one school that is seen as just "wealthy" because that school only has students from Woodbury. But, seriously, relax, you can't go wrong with any part of Syosset.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:58 PM

39 posts, read 267,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander329 View Post
I would say that Walt Whitman probably is the one school that is seen as just "wealthy" because that school only has students from Woodbury. But, seriously, relax, you can't go wrong with any part of Syosset.
If any i would say Berry Hill School is the wealthiest, Oyster Bay Cove, Muttontown a part of Brookville and the nicest part of "North Syosset" go there. Woodbury has alot of condo developments where houses can be had around 500k, you're not gonna find that in any of the above areas.

While i would argue that there is no difference in ethnic makeup in the areas, there is certainly a different kind of family/person in each. Also North and South Syosset are VERY REAL, i grew up in the area and moved back (have been here over 20yrs). North includes all the areas mentioned above, while south is fairly "normal" middle class, with the exception of areas of Woodbury.

Syosset children are VERY spoiled and many turn out bratty, i will be sending my kids to private schools, i did not like the way alot of my friends grew up. Thats just a personal note though. I moved to the area to be close to family, and while the schools are fantastic, the culture that comes along with it i find terrible.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:23 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Default A map of the Syosset Central School District

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubmonkey View Post
If any i would say Berry Hill School is the wealthiest, Oyster Bay Cove, Muttontown a part of Brookville and the nicest part of "North Syosset" go there. Woodbury has alot of condo developments where houses can be had around 500k, you're not gonna find that in any of the above areas.
Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Syosset Central School District includes all or part of the Village of Oyster Bay Cove, the Hamlet of Woodbury, the Hamlet of Plainview, the Hamlet of Hicksville, the Hamlet of Syosset and the Village of Muttontown.

A map of the Syosset Central School District:

A map of the Hamlet of Syosset in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/69/Syosset-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Please note: the southwest border, separating the Hamlet of Syosset from the Hamlet of Jericho is further to the southwest than is shown on this map.

Syosset is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name in their mailing address are not in the hamlet: places with a "Syosset, NY 11791" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Syosset are in the Village of Muttontown, the Village of Oyster Bay Cove and the Village of Laurel Hollow; and, at the same time, there are places that are in the Hamlet of Syosset that have a "Jericho, NY 11753" mailing address.
Attached Thumbnails
Differences within Syosset-syossetcsd.gif  

Old 12-05-2010, 12:46 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesk99 View Post

Thanks in advance!
Syosset has a pretty diverse housing stock. Especially the Northside. It has one of the best school districts on LI and as long as you stay away from the railroad station area, it's a great investment.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:22 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,744,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Syosset has a pretty diverse housing stock. Especially the Northside. It has one of the best school districts on LI and as long as you stay away from the railroad station area, it's a great investment.
the OP didn't mention anything about "diverse housing stock" yet you chimed in with misinformation. Syosset does have a great SD, but there are MANY parts that are predominantly 3 styles of homes. A lot of blocks you will find 4 colonials built right next to each other and 7 splits across the street with some ranches mixed in..It's really not house-diverse (like it matters anyway) until you get into the more expensive areas (like most LI towns).
I wonder sometimes where you come up with this stuff

Old 12-05-2010, 10:26 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
the OP didn't mention anything about "diverse housing stock" yet you chimed in with misinformation. Syosset does have a great SD, but there are MANY parts that are predominantly 3 styles of homes. A lot of blocks you will find 4 colonials built right next to each other and 7 splits across the street with some ranches mixed in..It's really not house-diverse (like it matters anyway) until you get into the more expensive areas (like most LI towns).
I wonder sometimes where you come up with this stuff

You are starting to feel like a stalker. I was giving the op my opinions of the Syosset area. I'm not from Syosset and was basing my opinions on what I've read and through work, have seen driving in the neighborhoods. As I said the northside has some great homes and the southside is more typical tract housing. Stop stalking me and focus on the topic. Is there really a need to interject personal jabs at me(read bold quote). Just say you don't agree like any other poster and state your reasons. If this nonsense continues I will report you!

Old 12-06-2010, 06:30 PM

10 posts, read 59,942 times
Well, thanks everyone for their input. Hit a few open houses this past weekend and went to a couple of appointments today.

But as I was leaving the area today, I saw that Muttontown was right there on the border of one the elementary schools (Robbins) and upon searching it looks like they are in the same district.

It does become a concern that if I decide to buy a "modest" home in western Syosset, my kids will be going to the same school as kids of the multi-million dollar homes in Muttontown.

We definitely don't want our kids to feel inadequate because of financial status. At the high school level, when their kids are driving around in Maseratis, and my kids are driving in Hondas, I'm concerned there will be some sort of inferiority complex.

The "south" side of Syosset (bordering Plainview/Hicksville) seemed much more down to earth.

Actually, the one property I saw this weekend that was the most attractive to us was in Old Bethpage... but it backed into a sump which concerned me, especially being from Queens.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:02 PM

39 posts, read 267,248 times
James,

While what your saying is certainly a very wise comment, that

"We definitely don't want our kids to feel inadequate because of financial status. At the high school level, when their kids are driving around in Maseratis, and my kids are driving in Hondas, I'm concerned there will be some sort of inferiority complex."

I would certainly not let that discourage you from allowing them to go to one of the best school systems in the country. While there are a good amount of "rich kids" there are far more middle class families in Syosset. You will have to deal with hard questions, and annoying spoiled brats, but its a great place to live. Also if youre self employed, the school system is a great way to network with some very powerful and influential business people. I've gotten alot of great business contacts from going to kids basketball games, and i coached a little league team. While i dont recommend searching these contacts out as that will likely upset people, but i've had countless friends who, they or their parents in the area have networked great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island