Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 06:43 PM

28 posts, read 95,211 times

Advertisements

Which town is better for living? I was looking at houses and want to buy a house in one of these two towns. What I want is:

1. Good living environment, safety, etc...
2. Excellent school district.
3. Convenient to new york City... Because I don't know if I need to work in city some years later, since I am a IT guy.
4. Easy to be sold out, some years later too.

My current budget is only $500,000 to buy a house. Not sure which town is better for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 11:30 AM

283 posts, read 581,344 times
Can't beat syosset For school and resale!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:20 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
your money is going to go further in Dix Hills of course but you have to watch where you are and which school it's zoned for. Because we also looked at Dix Hills in that price range, I can tell you're going to be south of the LIE so you have to watch out for Straight Path rd which is not as desirable. Generally speaking it's safe enough, but you just never know "down the road". If you want the most for your money, it won't be Syosset, but it's definitely safer and better there.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:48 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvoben View Post
Which town is better for living? I was looking at houses and want to buy a house in one of these two towns. What I want is:

1. Good living environment, safety, etc...
2. Excellent school district.
3. Convenient to new york City... Because I don't know if I need to work in city some years later, since I am a IT guy.
4. Easy to be sold out, some years later too.

My current budget is only $500,000 to buy a house. Not sure which town is better for me?

Are you looking at Dix Hills because of the schools or the "area"? My opinion of Dix Hills south of the LIE doesn't necessarily correspond with everybody else's. If it's the school district that interests you here, parts of Melville are also in the Half Hollow Hills SD, including by Sweet Hollow Rd, which is very convenient to both the CSH RR station or all major highways.
All depends on what your primary motivation is for a particular location

Even Syosset has a few houses in your price range. All depends on what you're looking for, including size of property and number of bedrooms/baths.

Both school districts have been and continue to be in demand by homebuyers.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:09 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Default A map of the Half Hollow Hills Central School District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
If it's the school district that interests you here, parts of Melville are also in the Half Hollow Hills SD, including by Sweet Hollow Rd, which is very convenient to both the CSH RR station or all major highways.
Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Half Hollow Hills Central School District includes all or part of the Hamlet of Dix Hills, the Hamlet of Deer Park, the Hamlet of Wheatley Heights, the Hamlet of Wyandanch, the Hamlet of East Farmingdale, the Hamlet of Melville, the Hamlet of West Hills and the Hamlet of South Huntington.

A map of the Half Hollow Hills Central School District:

Old 12-10-2011, 06:29 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Half Hollow Hills Central School District includes all or part of the Hamlet of Dix Hills, the Hamlet of Deer Park, the Hamlet of Wheatley Heights, the Hamlet of Wyandanch, the Hamlet of East Farmingdale, the Hamlet of Melville, the Hamlet of West Hills and the Hamlet of South Huntington.

A map of the Half Hollow Hills Central School District:
The organization that made that map could've been a lot clearer on the boundaries.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:47 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
The organization that made that map could've been a lot clearer on the boundaries.
That's the Census Bureau map from the 2000 Census.

The Census Bureau map from the 2010 Census is worse.

For a clearer view of school district boundaries, get a Hagstrom or Rand McNally map of Suffolk County. This map will have town, village, ZIP Code and school district border, but not hamlet borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island