Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:27 AM

264 posts, read 877,937 times

Advertisements

As we're closing in on our search to find a home, we have found some good places with Syosset school district and Jericho school district. There are some houses here and there which are affordable (anything under $650K).

Both these places seem fairly similar.
Syosset has its own train station but being in Jericho would make me close to the Hicksville train station. Both have great school districts. It seems though that Jericho's school district gets slightly better reviews but Jericho's houses are slightly more expensive.

We would be moving around the beginning of the new year.
Both places are around the same area- so I imagine that their environments are a little similar.
One thing I'm a little worried about both of these areas is if the environment is going to be ridiculously snobby.. I mean.. we aren't looking at super-rich neighborhoods in these areas (e.g: Muttontown).. but still- something I'm concerned about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 11:55 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
I've sold homes in both areas - in your price range, there really isn't that much of a difference...
Drive around on a nice weekend and see what people do outside, maybe talk to some potential neighbors and get a "feel" for the neighborhoods. You can't go wrong with either school.
Have you checked the difference in RE taxes (if any) for the areas you're looking at?

Old 09-29-2009, 12:15 PM

748 posts, read 2,887,460 times
Both are very similar. Syosset is a larger school ( around 575 high school seniors) than Jericho ( around 250 high school seniors). Both schools have universal busing and have excellent extra-curriculars. Both are close to highways, and many in Syosset use the Hicksville train station ( more trains). In 2009, 20%( about 50 students) of Jericho grads went on to Ivy league colleges, while 10% of Syosset went on to Ivy league. I started looking in Syosset and ended up in Jericho. Jericho is slightly more preferable.. but going for better home in Syosset for the same price is probably a better decision.

There are 5 major neighborhoods in the Hamlet of Jericho. East Birchwood, West Birchwood, White Birch, Oakwood Princeton Park and West Jericho. West Jericho has a Westbury 11590 postal code, while the others have a Jericho 11753 zip. About half of East Birchwood is in the Hamlet of Syosset. Each neighborhood has a strong civic association, and a strong community. Each community also have their own little parklets. Its a smaller, more tightly knit community than Syosset. But syosset also has strong civic associations and other organizations like "Residents for a more beautiful Syosset" etc.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:47 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
We're looking at the same 2 towns with a slight preference because of budget to Syosset. Right now, is 650k considered middle ground for this town or near the low end as far as decent homes in this town? We're coming from Hicksville and I grew up in Plainview. Would like something a little better than a typical split level.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:43 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
WJFM, when listing the neighborhoods in the Hamlet of Jericho, you overlooked the several condominium developments on the north side of the Jericho Turnpike.

Also, I figure that it's about one-third of East Birchwood that's in the Syosset Central School District and two-thirds in the Jericho Union Free School District.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:45 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,142 times
Wow good for you being able to look at those two areas. Very nice towns and schools. Back in grade school I took summer swimming lessons at Sysosset HS!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:06 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
We're looking at the same 2 towns with a slight preference because of budget to Syosset. Right now, is 650k considered middle ground for this town or near the low end as far as decent homes in this town? We're coming from Hicksville and I grew up in Plainview. Would like something a little better than a typical split level.
Funny you should single out split level houses
South of Jericho/LIE and west of South Oyster Bay Road there is a large section with almost exclusively split levels. Nice neighborhood. I don't know what you call "typical" splits, these are large, with generously sized rooms, many with 2 1/2 baths, etc., not a small "front-to-back" split. Similar situation in east Jericho...

Old 09-29-2009, 07:28 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Funny you should single out split level houses ;)
South of Jericho/LIE and west of South Oyster Bay Road there is a large section with almost exclusively split levels. Nice neighborhood. I don't know what you call "typical" splits, these are large, with generously sized rooms, many with 2 1/2 baths, etc., not a small "front-to-back" split. Similar situation in east Jericho...

South of the LIE and west of North Broadway (Jericho-Hicksville Road) is the West Birchwood development in the Hamlet of Jericho. West Birchwood includes a bit more than 800 homes, mostly splits, many expanded from their original construction.

North of the LIE and east of North Broadway (Jericho-Hicksville Road) is East Birchwood development partly in the Hamlet of Jericho and partly in the Hamlet of Syosset. East Birchwood includes about 1,200 homes, with some 400 of these homes in the Syosset Central School District. These 400 homes are in the Hamlet of Syosset ("Jericho, NY 11753" mailing address).

Old 09-29-2009, 08:34 PM

748 posts, read 2,887,460 times
That is right. I did not mention the hamlet gated community, the hamlet estates and a newer development called the horizon. There is also a hamlet-2 north of Lie near exit 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
WJFM, when listing the neighborhoods in the Hamlet of Jericho, you overlooked the several condominium developments on the north side of the Jericho Turnpike.

Also, I figure that it's about one-third of East Birchwood that's in the Syosset Central School District and two-thirds in the Jericho Union Free School District.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:19 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Funny you should single out split level houses
I don't want to get this too OT but I only mention split levels because my parents' Plainview house I grew up in is a split - not bad but I would just rather get a more open floor plan.. seen a few in Plainview with the high ceilings... what style is that called? Do they have any of those in Syosset?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island