Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 05:39 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times

Advertisements

MPretired was talking about living in Gatlinburg proper - which means he'd have to face the traffic on the spur between G&PF. Sure there are back roads to get to PF and the one to Dollywood is being greatly improved.

Living in Gburg might be great for the truly retired but for a commuter????? Plus, unless you drive an electric car you are contributing to the pollution every day that is killing the mountains.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:53 AM

345 posts, read 921,730 times
The road you are talking about, that's 6 lanes and not much traffic, is Veteran's Blvd. It was originally designed to move traffic around PF, at least that's according to my father in law. He's been a resident of Sevierville for 25 years. Certainly not a life long resident but long enough to see alot change here.

I guess you could take the back way from Gatlinburg to PF, but that road too tends to get busy. However, the benefit is the beauty you get to encounter on your drive.

I could have the worst day ever at work but when I drive home and come down I-40 and see the mountains, how different and beautiful it is every single day, it makes me feel better. I know, I'm weird. But I guess I just am meant to be where I am.

Like Richard, I don't have issues travelling in and out of town. The only part that slows is where 66 is still two lanes, but since we moved from Kodak to the other side of the river, I don't encounter that often. Traffic slows by the split (both sides) and then again down by WalMart and up into PF. It moves, just slow. But we usually take the back way and go around it all. I don't need to see the Titanic yet again, though it is cool to drive by I must admit. When slowed by traffic, we like to look at all the different out of state plates...and think to ourselves how fortunate we are to live in an area where people literally travel from all across the US and Canada, to enjoy it. For us, it's a 15 minute drive. How lucky are we?

Old 06-13-2013, 11:27 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Is there a back way??? Are you talking about the road to Pittman Center?

I got stuck in traffic on the park spur and found my way through some of the side roads to the glades artist colony area, but whew it was long and windy. I do have a back way to get from Champan hwy to PF and on to Teaster Ln - great bypass for now but it won't get you all the way to Gburg.

I know what you mean about the mountains. I used to have a commute home south on Pellisippi and it was wonderful.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:14 PM

345 posts, read 921,730 times
Yes, Pittman Center Rd. Now that they've corrected the bad spot, you know where the road was literally falling off?, it's not bad. You don't even realize you are climbing in elevation unless you have the windows down and can feel the change in air temp.

I wouldn't want to travel it daily, that's for sure! My MIL did though, when she worked in G'burg.

I enjoy driving thru the Glades and if we have time, I like to go the longer way. I've stopped at a few of the shops but certainly not all. I've always wanted to try the British Pub though! LOL!

Old 06-14-2013, 07:06 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Is there a back way??? Are you talking about the road to Pittman Center?

I got stuck in traffic on the park spur and found my way through some of the side roads to the glades artist colony area, but whew it was long and windy. I do have a back way to get from Champan hwy to PF and on to Teaster Ln - great bypass for now but it won't get you all the way to Gburg.

I know what you mean about the mountains. I used to have a commute home south on Pellisippi and it was wonderful.
I do that everyday. It's gorgeous traveling down Pellissippi with the mountains in front of you. And on a clear day, heading into work I can actually see the mountains just beyond Oak Ridge.

But once again, the question was regarding living in Gatlinburg and commuting to Knoxville. Sorry, but it's not something I would do or recommend.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:47 PM

38 posts, read 70,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
MPretired was talking about living in Gatlinburg proper - which means he'd have to face the traffic on the spur between G&PF. Sure there are back roads to get to PF and the one to Dollywood is being greatly improved.

Living in Gburg might be great for the truly retired but for a commuter????? Plus, unless you drive an electric car you are contributing to the pollution every day that is killing the mountains.
The Spur isn't the only way to get to PF from Gatlinburg. I wouldn't want to live in Gatlinburg period, but if you absolutely must then yeah, learn the backroads.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:41 PM

22 posts, read 84,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMopar View Post
A few of things....

First, no way would I even consider driving to and from Gatlinburg to Knoxville. Yikes! But if you are ok with that drive time then more power to you.

Second, I don't consider it blather that I boast on where I live. I live in Sevier County because I choose to. I love it! Apparently some on here don't seem to realize that there certainly IS more to Sevier County than Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I live in northern Sevier. In fact, even though we moved to a different part of Sevier County about 4 months ago, we are almost exactly halfway between Gatlinburg and Knoxville!!! I have the best of both worlds!!!
I live so close to the river that I can see it, hear it and smell it from my front porch. Awesome!! I see not only deer, rabbits, coyotes, fox, hawks, etc., but eagles. In fact, there is an eagles nest not too far from our side of the river.
I don't live by any tourist attraction. I live where it's quiet and we love it. You see, not ALL of Sevier County is tourism related.

Lastly, I left where I was in Ohio to get away from the "city". I don't live in the city. I do live in Sevier County, with a Sevierville city address, get my water from the city of Sevierville, but I'm in the county. I lived in "the city" in Ohio and while I miss it and my lovely neighbors, I don't miss the city life. You see, I cannot see the blather some post here about how great West Knox is, how fabulous it is to live in Knox County, etc., but I don't post that out of respect. We all have our choices on where we want to live. I am fortunate to live in a country that affords me that opportunity (Thanks to our Veterans and current serving military!) to pick and choose where I want to hang my hat.

I choose Sevier County. I love it here. I wouldn't change it for a thing. We all are lucky to be able to choose the same...where we want to hang our hat.

My choice may not be the same as others. And so what? We all are different and unique.

Sevier County is my home. I wouldn't change it for a thing...like me or not.

To the OP: As I said before, I'm happy to help you in any way if you have any questions about our area. We'd love to have you but if you choose elsewhere, no matter, I wish you best in your decision. You are the only one who can decide where you want HOME to be. Just don't count our area out because others here don't care for it.
I too live in Sevierville, and absolutely love it. Yes, the traffic can be a pain, if you let it. As far as commuting to Knoxville, if you stay off 66, and instead come in from Dandridge it's not a big deal really. Just drive an extra six miles or so on I-40, and take the back roads. My house is nine miles east of the city, and unless we CHOOSE to head out to the parkway on a Saturday, we really don't notice the tourist stuff. Plus they pay the bills

Old 08-06-2013, 03:57 PM

460 posts, read 778,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I would blow my brains out if I had to drive from and to Gatlinburg from Knoxville every day. However, if you have an extra 3 hours each day with nothing better to do, it may not bother you as much.
I used 3 hours as an example, your time may vary!
It is now crystal clear to me!

Old 08-07-2013, 07:17 AM

47 posts, read 157,493 times
Another great thread. Thanks for all these great replies. I want to move to Knoxville and would be working in West Knoxville, but I've liked a lot of houses near Seymour and Sevierville. I'm looking for rural with some land suitable for a horse and pony and the prices are cheaper in Seymour and Seiverville. (I'll have to check out Kodak, too) It's good to know the basic commute times and roads to take and roads to avoid from those that use them on a daily basis.

I plan on looking at a few houses I'm interested in from the road and will see how commute times are when I hit Knoxville in Sept. I have a 20-25 minute commute currently here in MA. I live in the country and work in a large town (bordering on a city these days) I'd like to keep a similar commute but would go up to 35 minutes.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:01 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarragansettPark View Post
Another great thread. Thanks for all these great replies. I want to move to Knoxville and would be working in West Knoxville, but I've liked a lot of houses near Seymour and Sevierville. I'm looking for rural with some land suitable for a horse and pony and the prices are cheaper in Seymour and Seiverville. (I'll have to check out Kodak, too) It's good to know the basic commute times and roads to take and roads to avoid from those that use them on a daily basis.

I plan on looking at a few houses I'm interested in from the road and will see how commute times are when I hit Knoxville in Sept. I have a 20-25 minute commute currently here in MA. I live in the country and work in a large town (bordering on a city these days) I'd like to keep a similar commute but would go up to 35 minutes.
If you want less of a commute but country, you might try Loudon and that area. Straight shot up Pellissippi. You are going to find it very rural not that far from West Knoxville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville