Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 07:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I would blow my brains out if I had to drive from and to Gatlinburg from Knoxville every day. However, if you have an extra 3 hours each day with nothing better to do, it may not bother you as much.
I used 3 hours as an example, your time may vary!
This is exactly what I'm talking about. All of this blather about how great it is to live in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville overlooks the big point. Most people will want or need to get a job that pays decent money and more than likely they will end up working in the Knoxville area. If they do so, they will rapidly lose their mind.

We get a lot of, "Oh, I'm used to a big commute!" However, most of these folks don't understand rural mountain miles. What you think will be a one hour commute - which is lunacy in itself - will probably realistically turn into 3 hours a day, give or take.

If you like the tourist trap areas, more power to ya, but for the love of Mike, go visit them on your friggin' day off. And this isn't even discussing the traffic - and no Sevier County traffic is a far cry worse than West Knoxville on a tax-free weekend - the higher prices, or schools.

And the point is: WHY? Why do you HAVE to live amongst the tourist gridlock and schlock of Sevier County? I mean, the national park is nice but you can't live there! And do you big Sevier County boosters realize that there is rural country all around Blount and Knox County? I'm smack, dab in the middle of West Knoxville, about 10 minutes from downtown and in one of the toniest areas in the city, yet it looks like I live in the country. I'm in an apartment complex but when I look out my bedroom window all I can see if trees and trees and trees. Yet, I'm 15 minutes to my job. If I lived in Gatlinburg it would take 90 minutes to get there. Heck, gas isn't cheap and my time is far too valuable for that.

Don't get me started on why I would not want to live out there if I were retired.

Oh, and I have no idea what round houses you meant, MPRetired.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:26 PM

460 posts, read 778,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh, and I have no idea what round houses you meant, MPRetired.
Round houses like these:Deltec Homes | Green Round Home Kits | Prefab | Hurricane Proof

I've only seen them around the Smoky Mountains (Gatlinburg and Boone, mainly). I know...I'm strange, but for some reason I find their layout appealing.

I'm looking at the Asheville area as well. I like the mountains, but Colorado is too hot and too dry (and too prone to wildfires recently), as well as having a crazy high cost of real estate and living in general. I've lived in NC before, so I've got some idea of what the general vibe is like. Maybe my trip in August will frighten me away from Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge-Sevierville.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRetired View Post
Round houses like these:Deltec Homes | Green Round Home Kits | Prefab | Hurricane Proof

I've only seen them around the Smoky Mountains (Gatlinburg and Boone, mainly). I know...I'm strange, but for some reason I find their layout appealing.

I'm looking at the Asheville area as well. I like the mountains, but Colorado is too hot and too dry (and too prone to wildfires recently), as well as having a crazy high cost of real estate and living in general. I've lived in NC before, so I've got some idea of what the general vibe is like. Maybe my trip in August will frighten me away from Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge-Sevierville.
I grew up near a couple of homes like that in Mass. They are all over the country. Heck, Chattanooga has a space ship!

Signal Mountain, TN - Flying Saucer House

I feel that life is far too short to be stuck commuting to work. Some people have no choice. They rent or buy a home near their job and then they are let go. Sometimes times get so tough that they can't move and can only find a job where they are trapped in an endless commute. They do it to keep a roof over their head and food on the table.

But to that to yourself on purpose? I don't think there is any reason for that. Not when there are very nice places with similar feel and topography far closer to where you will work. Find the job first, then you can worry about a house with no corners.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:19 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
There is a round house in the Lake forest neighborhood - Lake forest drive, I think. About 4 miles from downtown.

The only mountain - work commutes that seem bearable in TN would be Townsend to Maryville or something around Johnson City. Plenty more options in NC - consider Waynesville. There are some high elevation subdivisions there at 4000 '+ just 10 miles out of town.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:48 AM

345 posts, read 921,730 times
A few of things....

First, no way would I even consider driving to and from Gatlinburg to Knoxville. Yikes! But if you are ok with that drive time then more power to you.

Second, I don't consider it blather that I boast on where I live. I live in Sevier County because I choose to. I love it! Apparently some on here don't seem to realize that there certainly IS more to Sevier County than Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I live in northern Sevier. In fact, even though we moved to a different part of Sevier County about 4 months ago, we are almost exactly halfway between Gatlinburg and Knoxville!!! I have the best of both worlds!!!
I live so close to the river that I can see it, hear it and smell it from my front porch. Awesome!! I see not only deer, rabbits, coyotes, fox, hawks, etc., but eagles. In fact, there is an eagles nest not too far from our side of the river.
I don't live by any tourist attraction. I live where it's quiet and we love it. You see, not ALL of Sevier County is tourism related.

Lastly, I left where I was in Ohio to get away from the "city". I don't live in the city. I do live in Sevier County, with a Sevierville city address, get my water from the city of Sevierville, but I'm in the county. I lived in "the city" in Ohio and while I miss it and my lovely neighbors, I don't miss the city life. You see, I cannot see the blather some post here about how great West Knox is, how fabulous it is to live in Knox County, etc., but I don't post that out of respect. We all have our choices on where we want to live. I am fortunate to live in a country that affords me that opportunity (Thanks to our Veterans and current serving military!) to pick and choose where I want to hang my hat.

I choose Sevier County. I love it here. I wouldn't change it for a thing. We all are lucky to be able to choose the same...where we want to hang our hat.

My choice may not be the same as others. And so what? We all are different and unique.

Sevier County is my home. I wouldn't change it for a thing...like me or not.

To the OP: As I said before, I'm happy to help you in any way if you have any questions about our area. We'd love to have you but if you choose elsewhere, no matter, I wish you best in your decision. You are the only one who can decide where you want HOME to be. Just don't count our area out because others here don't care for it.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:27 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
The Kodak area is beautiful Mrs M. I have seen property there with jaw-dropping views of the Smokies. Almost I like that better because you have a sense of perspective with the flat land between. But you are next to the river and that is also wonderful.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:45 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,191,211 times
Mrs Mopar: I'm interested in Tennessee for retirement someday and just want to say I always enjoy reading your informative posts about the Severville area. I hope to visit within the next couple of years. I've been to other areas in Tennessee , but have never checked out your neck of the woods. Thanks for all your posts ... keep them coming

Old 06-12-2013, 07:29 AM

345 posts, read 921,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
The Kodak area is beautiful Mrs M. I have seen property there with jaw-dropping views of the Smokies. Almost I like that better because you have a sense of perspective with the flat land between. But you are next to the river and that is also wonderful.
Amen to that! We used to live in Kodak. We were renting a house there and were looking dilligently in that area. The house we finally purchased is actually just on the other side of the river.

There are some amazing views from Kodak of the mountains. I feel that area gets a back rap sometimes due to one trailer park in particular, which I won't name. There is another nice mobile home park though, my daughter lives there, and it's so nice and clean. The owners don't put up with nonsense there.

Quote:
Mrs Mopar: I'm interested in Tennessee for retirement someday and just want to say I always enjoy reading your informative posts about the Severville area. I hope to visit within the next couple of years. I've been to other areas in Tennessee , but have never checked out your neck of the woods. Thanks for all your posts ... keep them coming
Thank you for your kind words. I just love where I live and I'm very appreciative that I've been afforded the opportunity to live in such a wonderful area, with such beauty and with friendly neighbors. We really enjoy meeting people, so the area works well for us. My husband and I are social types and it never fails that we meet tourists when we are out and strike up conversations. While I admit, I will never divulge our 'local' back road directions, we still offer them information on other issues if they ask. We had one man offer us money to give him a map of the back ways around and about. I told him to take that money he was offering us and donate to the food pantry or at a local Church. LOL! I won't tell!!!
I wish you the best on your decision!!

Old 06-12-2013, 05:45 PM

148 posts, read 305,276 times
All this talk about Sevierville. I do not live there, but close. Jefferson County, but only about 2 miles from the Sevier county Line and about 4 miles from the stadium and Bass Pro Shop. My back yard, I have a beautiful view of the Smoky Mountains. With a few exceptions, I have no problem going to Lowes or other shops in Sevierville or even take in a restaurant in Pigeon Forge, if you know when to go Pigeon Forge. I have never yet taken me an hour and a half to go the twenty some miles to get to Knoxville, but since I am retired and do not go that often, maybe I am missing something there. However me moving from the Washington D.C. area and driving 30 miles each way from home to work and then back again thru D.C. traffic, I guess our opinions on traffic will be different. I am very aware of the traffic from Pigeon forge to Interstate 40, but learned our ways around there. I am Like Mrs M and like this area. I am tired of city living and love the slower pace of live out here. Now you all have to forgive me, from originally I am from the Pittsburgh area, and I am still a Pittsburgh Steeler fan, so I hope you can forgive me for that <g>

Old 06-12-2013, 05:54 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,100 times
Youre right about there being more accounting jobs in Knoxville.

The distance is around 1 hour from Gatlinburg to West Knoxville (closer if you work downtown). The traffic during big tourists seasons can be harsh from Gatlinburg to the interstate. Would you be able to put up with that? I dont think it happens very often honestly.

I just came back from a two day trip to Pigeon Forge and Dollywood with some family. We were on the parkway some, but we also found a really great 6 lane road that goes around the entire town seemingly. The traffic flow was so smooth. I feel like if you lived there you would know where to drive, and when to drive like Richard mentioned. I mean, how often are you going to want to go ride go karts anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville