Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:22 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times

Advertisements

Haven't checked this site in a few days and thought I'd add to the list of names. I grew up in Mayfield and my mother knows a lot of Mayfield/Graves Co. history. Sedalia was named because of a man who told everybody he was going to see his "lady friend". In other words, he was going to "See Dalia"! Fancy Farm got it's name when it was about to get it's own post office. Officials couldn't think of a name but there were a lot of "fancy farms" in the area! Before all the county schools merged to form Graves County schools, Fancy Farm was the home of the Golden Gophers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 07:24 PM

And Coldwater, outside Murray was part of a joke. There was a man who used to tell everybody he knew a place where you could scald a pig in Coldwater!

I'll hush now!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:20 PM

90 posts, read 347,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highliner View Post
Don't forget Grayhawk, just a hop-skip-and-jump from Sand Gap. Or maybe Tyner is more to your liking?
Just reading these places in Ky. makes me homesick. My hometown is Somerset, and some little communities around there are: Eubank, Sulfur Springs, Jabez, Naomi,Bronston,Burnside and Tateville. These names are not near as wierd as some of the names of places here in British Columbia, Canada, and other Provinces here. I think Ky has a history of unique town names. Hope I get home to the beautiful unique Ky soon.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,495 times
Two more from Jackson County....Egypt and Mummy...both are near the Clay County line.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:26 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My dad says western Kentucky is unique. Where else can you go to Moscow, Cuba, and Mexico, and be home by lunch?
Went to two of them yesterday. Went through 'Dublin' too.

Moscow is just about gone, I don't believe they even have a sign saying you're in Moscow anymore. But it's still on the maps and has roads named after it, but the PO is long gone.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Went to two of them yesterday. Went through 'Dublin' too.

Moscow is just about gone, I don't believe they even have a sign saying you're in Moscow anymore. But it's still on the maps and has roads named after it, but the PO is long gone.

Last time I was around the Moscow area was about 30 years ago. Didn't know there ever was a post office there. Mexico may get more traffic several years down the road. The "straightening" of US 641 will come pretty close to there. That will straighten the road from Marion to Eddyville. Right now if you get behind a Sunday driver, there are only about 3 places you can actually pass someone.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:52 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Snatch Creek (Perry County) I lived very close to there for a while...

Old 03-02-2008, 05:06 PM

19 posts, read 61,328 times
Default another goofy name

I live in Dogtrot which is Frenchburg Kentucky. There are so many names like shot gun holler and to many to mention.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 11,881 times
Eighty-Eight is eight miles east of Glasgow on Highway 90. One legend says the community got its name when the government installed a post office and appointed a postmaster. But, it didn't have a name so the new postmaster dug into his pocket and came up with 88 cents. Another possibility is that Eighty-Eight is located eight miles east of Glasgow, and another eight miles east is the next town, Summer Shade. Also further east on Highway 90 is Marrowbone, KY, distinguished by a bank robbery by the Jesse James gang.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:31 PM

15 posts, read 139,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
I got a response from the "postmaster / Tireman" in Eighty-Eight, KY. It was somewhere by the Tennessee line.. maybe near Whitley County? Not quite sure anymore..

LOL... I got a kick out of that one..
It is on Hwy 90 SE of Glasgow right before you get to Summer Shade.

I'm a retired claim adjuster and one of the worse fatalities I ever handled was in Eighty Eight. I spent several days there interviewing folks. That was about 25 years ago, though. I'm sure it has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky