Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:11 PM

44 posts, read 124,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Acorn, KY
Bass, KY
Bug, KY
LOL reminds me of Seinfeld. Remember when Jerry was joking about kid names?
"Mug... Mug Constanza"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 06:55 AM

3 posts, read 4,240 times
Knob Lick, KY

Old 10-07-2011, 06:58 AM

Big Beaver Lick, Kentucky
Big Bone Lick, Kentucky
OK, Kentucky
Possumtrot Kentucky
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky

Old 10-07-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Confederate, KY
Dogtown, KY
Fancy Farm, KY
Pine Knot, KY
Botto, KY
Pathfork, KY
Shopville, KY
Science Hill, KY
Zag, KY
Decoy, KY
Lost Creek, KY
Drip Rock, KY

Theres a few more and that ain't all.

I'm moving to Decoy, KY

Old 10-08-2011, 06:35 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,840 times
anyone mention lick skillet, ky? always one of my personal favorites!

Old 11-27-2011, 06:59 PM
NSF

1 posts, read 1,334 times
Hell for Certain, in Leslie County Kentucky near Hyden, Kentucky.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:30 PM

50 posts, read 77,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
Eh.. I don't care if I know the "why" of the "lick's"... I will crack up until my dying day every time I hear about "Big Bone Lick, KY".

I just need to keep my mind out of the gutter and do what you said, Davart... think of it as minerals..yeah.. minerals.. tee hee hee
Yes!
And what really tickles me is Big Bone Lick State Park is right on Beaver Road.
Sophomoric humor at it's best.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:35 PM

50 posts, read 77,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygirl100% View Post
You make us sound like we are uncivilized. I live in versailles, ky and it is named for versailles, france..which is know for its beautiful rolling hills and vineyards. As a matter of fact I live in Nonesuch, Kentucky. which was named by a highborn southern lady passing through. She came upon some carpet baggers, who had built a fire in the middle of the crossroad. She passed by then exclaiming that she had never seen a NONESUCH place and it stuck. You need to remember there is rich heritage in alot of these small out of the way places. The language and the accents of many different cultures are blended to make them so unique. my heritage is of french, irish, cherokee indian and British decent and quite possibly scottish. You will never meet a more friendly people who live in these areas. But don't by any means think they are stupid. If the lights go out for good they will most likely the ones to survive.

I don't think the intent was to make Kentuckians sound uneducated... this is just a lighthearted thread regarding place names. Every state has some off-beat and/or unusual place names.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:26 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,103 times
Anyone familiar with the number 88 and how it is used in a certain community? With that said, anyone know why they named that place "88?" I would like to know.

Nevermind, I see. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighty_Eight%2C_Kentucky

Last edited by SoEdible; 12-07-2011 at 12:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky