Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:39 PM

688 posts, read 3,041,143 times

Advertisements

I think some people coming to Lexington for the first time are surprised to find it is actually larger than they expect, especially people from smaller towns. It is by no means a "big city", and certainly smaller than Louisville, but it does have a more urban vibe at its center than some people anticipate. When I hear of "town", I think of smaller places like Georgetown, Versailles, Elizabethtown, etc, so to me Lexington is a small city. I know some people from small towns that are actually intimidated in Lexington because they aren't used to driving on one-way streets or parking on the street or in parking garages.

Some things that really stand out for Lexington, especially considering its size, are things like the Explorarium Children's Museum; parks like Gratz Park, Triangle and Pheonix Park, and the Raven Run Nature Sanctuary; historic homes like the Mary Todd Lincoln home and the estate and gardens of Henry Clay; scenic local wineries; and the surrounding rolling hills and million-dollar horse farms.

Like I've said before, Lexington has its own unique charm and offerings that make it different than Louisville, which has its own advantages and amenities. Louisville feels like the bigger city that it is, and has more overall offerings than Lexington, so if you're seeking a more urban environment, or if you're young and want an active social or singles scene, Louisville will most likely be your first choice. Likewise, a retired couple that is really active in the local arts or food scene will find a greater number of choices within the Louisville area. But, Lexington certainly offers great restaurants; a vibrant arts scene including an art museum, a ballet, a philharmonic, an opera company, an actors guild, and a local gallery hop; nice urban and suburban parks; several well-rated public and private schools; great suburban neighborhoods; and a walkable and accessible downtown with a growing number of shopping, dining, and living options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 03:34 PM

7 posts, read 56,321 times
Default Louisville

I've spent time in Lexington. I wasn't sure how, when I moved to Louisville from New Orleans (10 months ago), I'd like it. Turns out I love it. Truly. The arts, music, hours (open till 4am), theatre, festivals, friendliness of people, sports (college bball and football and baseball), Churchill Downs... and I'm sure there is more to discover. The downtown area is revitalized and there is much opportunity for local business owners to thrive. I do visit Keeneland in Lexington, but it's a little quiet for me. I like both towns, truly, but I've come to adore Louisville.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:37 PM

7 posts, read 56,321 times
And there is a pet person trying to run everyone away from Louisville. I happen to think Louisville is very pet friendly.

A little blog you might find interesting from a new person to the city (a friend of mine)....

loueyville

Old 07-31-2007, 10:01 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,908,490 times
Smile lexington vs louisville

wow that was a great overview - you should work for rand mcnally!

Okay so I am going to give you a profile of a person - a composite if you will, and if you could, give me your opinion of which city this person would be more suited to...
Years ago she would have been called a young fogey.
ANd now she is in her mid fifties, and works as a writer and runs a small business. She hails from Connecticut and lives in brooks brothers and drives an older well cared for mercedes. Doesn't go out to fancy restaurants, but does enjoy shopping for antiques and vintage goods. Likes good theater (goes to London once a year to load up!)and enjoys art galleries. Loves going antiquing and flea markets and is a real bargain hunter. Doesn't need a golf course nearby or stables, but likes being near the culture that does. Loves antique car shows! Makes a good living, no kids, and not a big mall hound. Likes to eat healthy and very concerned with air pollution and congestion from traffic and industry. Needs to breathe clean air as much as possible! She along with her husband spends most of her time working on the house and garden when not writing. Likes to take day trips and visit historic quaint towns like you'd find all throughout New England. But can't take the winters anymore and hates the high taxes and house prices. She'd love to own an old house but at this stage would really prefer a reproduction colonial new house on a few acres. Hates the thought of a "fishbowl" subdivision - too many rules, and too much new money with young kids. Also would prefer lower taxes and would give up some services for the exchange. Does not need to be near schools or highways, but accessible to shopping nearby- She assumes the real estate is priced equally in both cities in terms of land and per square foot prices. Is this true? If not, then where do you get a little more bang for the buck?

So which one comes closest to filling the bill? Perfect scenario would be a reproduction colonial on three acres just outside of town...but which one?

Thanks!

12buttons

Old 08-01-2007, 04:59 AM

647 posts, read 2,084,950 times
I'm going with Lexington on this one. I was born and raised in Lex. all the way through UK graduation. I've seen it grow and change over the years as people and things come and go and, although I don't live there now, I still visit often. Yes, I know, I may not be able to offer an objective view, but, for me, it's more of a "feel" type of thing. Lexington just puts out a better vibe for me.

The city is a nice size. It will not overwhelm you, but, at the same time, it has most everything a person would want or need if they take the time to seek "it" out. If not, then maybe Louisville or Cincinnati has it. Compared to Louisville, I think that Lexington is a cleaner city overall, with more of a wide-open feel to it with all of (what's left of it) the green spaces that surround the city. There is a lot to like about Lexington.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:17 PM

7,071 posts, read 16,766,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
wow that was a great overview - you should work for rand mcnally!

Okay so I am going to give you a profile of a person - a composite if you will, and if you could, give me your opinion of which city this person would be more suited to...
Years ago she would have been called a young fogey.
ANd now she is in her mid fifties, and works as a writer and runs a small business. She hails from Connecticut and lives in brooks brothers and drives an older well cared for mercedes. Doesn't go out to fancy restaurants, but does enjoy shopping for antiques and vintage goods. Likes good theater (goes to London once a year to load up!)and enjoys art galleries. Loves going antiquing and flea markets and is a real bargain hunter. Doesn't need a golf course nearby or stables, but likes being near the culture that does. Loves antique car shows! Makes a good living, no kids, and not a big mall hound. Likes to eat healthy and very concerned with air pollution and congestion from traffic and industry. Needs to breathe clean air as much as possible! She along with her husband spends most of her time working on the house and garden when not writing. Likes to take day trips and visit historic quaint towns like you'd find all throughout New England. But can't take the winters anymore and hates the high taxes and house prices. She'd love to own an old house but at this stage would really prefer a reproduction colonial new house on a few acres. Hates the thought of a "fishbowl" subdivision - too many rules, and too much new money with young kids. Also would prefer lower taxes and would give up some services for the exchange. Does not need to be near schools or highways, but accessible to shopping nearby- She assumes the real estate is priced equally in both cities in terms of land and per square foot prices. Is this true? If not, then where do you get a little more bang for the buck?

So which one comes closest to filling the bill? Perfect scenario would be a reproduction colonial on three acres just outside of town...but which one?

Thanks!

12buttons

I have said it so many times here, but Lexington and Louisville are simply not comprable. Louisville is a much bigger city in every category, with much more amenities to offer. As far as shopping and dining, Louisville has much more, and much more diversity of offerings. Louisville has Brooks Brothers, for example, and Lexington certainly does not. Louisville of course has a lot more boutique shopping as well.

Coming from the NE, both cities will be a bit of culture shock, but Louisville will be much less of one. Imagine Louisville as a much cooler, more hip Hartford. Because Louisville is "relatively" geographically isolated, Louisville has alot more amenities than Hartford even though they are both in the 1.2-1.4 million metro area range. Lexington is not comprable as it is less than 1/3 the size. Louisville is one of the only cities its size with as many professional arts groups, and while Lexington has a strong arts scene, the arts scene is much stronger in Louisville. Although Louisville is much larger, the median house is slightly cheaper in Louisville, even though tdifference is not significant. Louisville has a far advanced freeway system, and Lexington does not have freeways at all, as the two major interstates bypass most of the city and its outlying exurbs. Therefore, Lexington traffic can be very bad for such a small metro, but overall Louisville has worse traffic due to the population difference. Both cities have some wonderful historic neighborhoods. Of course, Louisville being much larger it is going to have larger, more vibrant in town neighborhoods--there is no area of Lexington that even comes close to the antiques, boutiques, and restaurants, both ethnic and otherwise, of the Bardstown Road corridor.

If money is not an deterrance, Louiville has some pretty nice outlying suburbs where one may find an old house on three acres. Among them are Anchorage, Crestwood, and Pewee Valley. These areas are all within 25 minutes of downtown.

Finally, I have only been living here for a few years of my adult life now, but I notice that many Lexingtonians refer to Louisville as "dirty." I am not sure why this is so, but I have often heard them compare the "dirty" Churchill Downs to the pristine, "southern" Keeneland. I do not agree with this assessment at all, but I have become an avid horse fan and it is something I have heard. I think Lexington and Louisville both have an equal amount of run down areas given their respective size. Since Louisville is three times bigger, it is going to have about three times the area of impoverished neighborhoods, 90% of which are in the west end. Incidently, the violent crime rate in Louisville and Lexington is virtually identical (per 2006 FBI Uniform Crimes report), with both around 650/100,000, meaning both cities are very safe. As a comparison, the crime rate in the southern city of Memphis is 2,000/100,000. Good luck to this hypothetical person

Old 08-01-2007, 05:33 PM

508 posts, read 1,514,735 times
I could on and on about which I think is better but the bottom line is that I like both, each in their own ways.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 23,533 times
I live in Louisville and have most of my life. My daughter is a grad student at the University of Kentucky. She has been in Lexington for 6 years now and really likes Lexington but she hates the traffic there. The traffic is heavy and most of the people there drive terribly. My son-in-law feels the same way. He has lived in several large cities and most recently in a small to medium town in his high school years. He has also been in Lex. for 6 years.
They cannot wait to get out of Lexington because of this. Louisville does have a much better road system and a lot more cars but not anywhere near the traffic jams or accidents. Lexington is absolutely beautiful unless you have to drive to work or school everyday. It is a big college town. Go UK!

Old 08-02-2007, 11:58 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,908,490 times
Hey there,

A cooler Hartford CT..I love that....thank you all for weighing in on this - I will spend some time researching before I make my trip to both places...Thanks again..what a great board full of wonderful Kentuckians!

Old 08-13-2007, 02:20 AM

246 posts, read 1,058,027 times
Default highliner

Did someone really say that Lexington-Fayette County is riverless? UM, guys, we got one, and its called, ironically enough, The Kentucky River, FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky