Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 04:48 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
People in Lexington tend to associate a bit too much with Ohio (most are Reds and Bengals fans, etc). ....

....I know I've mentioned it before, and I noticed Jimmy John Wilson actually made a map, but how citizens view surrounding areas is key in determining the mindsets of those citizens. Lexington natives "radar" tends to the Northeast: Cincy, Columbus, NKY, Ashland area. Louisville's tends to the western half of the SE: Bowling Green, Nashville, Memphis, Owensboro. Overall, I'd say Lexington is a more Southern version of NKY, while Louisville is a more urban version of Western KY.

Both are Southern, but different types. Lexington is more genteel, similar to Oxford, MS. Louisville is more raw and gritty similar to Memphis.
Except for the comment about Lex being a more souther version of NKY I think this is a pretty good observation how these places have fairly differnt characters, for being relativly close to each other.

...and a good comment about Fayette County schools. You don't hear so much hand-wringing about failing public schools there the way you do in "Louisville Metro" (AKA Jefferson County).

Lexington certainly has some better suburban development, it seems. They seem to do a better job with land-use planning. As for the city proper, I was in Lexington for a brief visit earlier in January & was suprised on how the place is picking up (in terms of things becoming more occupied). Particularly the stretch of Limestone north of Main, vicinity of Columbia Steak House & Sayre School.

The atmosphere is that the place is more prosperous now than when I knew it in the late 1970s, though much is gone, too, that I remember from back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 04:54 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Quote:
Then if you take Richmond Road out of the city, you see some breathtaking scenes after passing through a a very small town (which I believed is called Athens or something like that) and you eventually hit a restaurant on the river (Kentucky River, maybe?), which is a great place to eat. It may be 25-30 miles outside of the city. I wish I could remember the name of it, but the scenery between Athens and that restaurant is pretty neat (especially on a blue sky day).

Yes, the villiage is Athens (pronounced witha long "A") and the restaurant was probably Halls', where Howards Creek meets the KY River. It's a well-know fish place.

And yes that is a nice drive and pretty country. Great place for back road riding.

I think you're in the vicinity of the Iroquois Hunt Country (where they do fox hunting. The Iroquois Hunt Club is in an old mill on one of those creeks that drops to the Kenucky.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,818 times
I lived in Lexington for 10 years and I've lived in Louisville for 7. Lexington was fun for a while but I became totally burnt out. I hated going outside of New Circle Road and preferred the downtown/campus area. Some of the restaurants were ok but there wasn't much variety overall. I love Good-Foods, Pazzos, and Tolly Ho. Keeneland was fun and I prefer it to Churchill Downs. Lexington shoves UK down your throat 24/7, that gets old.

Like most folks have stated, Louisville is much bigger and it's difficult to even compare the two cities. When I moved to Louisville I was overwhelmed because there was so much to do. It seems like there is something fantastic to do every day: free waterfront events, national music acts, TONS of unique and delicious restaurants, the Olmsted park system, the list goes on...

I'll never move back to Lexington but I appreciate it for what it is.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:47 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
I lived in Lexington about 20 years ago and just this weekend went back for a visit. I used to think Lexington was this little secret paradise on earth and I've been meaning to come back someday. The city had cheap, tasteful and spacious ranch houses, great amenities, college events (basketball, football, recitals, concerts etc), and surrounded by amazing natural environment. It's kind of shocking how much has changed, and unfortunately not really for the better.

Lexington in the past 20 years has turned into a giant strip mall full of national retail and restaurant chain stores, none walkable. There are now massive McMansion subdivisions (with no yards) outside Man O'War, covering up what used to be pristine greenery just outside the city. Jacobson Park? Now surrounded by McMansions in every corner.

Lexington used to have character, now it looks like any generic Midwestern city with the same truck-stop style strip malls and stores. If you told me I was in Peoria Illinois, Sioux City SD, or Akron Ohio, I would have believed you. Downtown Lexington does have a couple unique restaurants, but many are obscenely priced, higher than NYC or Boston prices. There's so little to do in Lexington that it seems the whole city is shopping in Fayette Mall on a weekend like it's still in the 1990s.

Say what you will of Louisville, at least it has still kept its soul. Louisville still has tons of small businesses, hundreds of unique restaurants and shops, with lots of walking areas. For me, Lexington has lost its pull. There's nothing unique about it anymore except for a small stretch around Chevy Chase and some residential areas around Tates Creek. It's really sad, and a lesson on what not to do in developing a city.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 4,142 times
Lived in both cities. Hands down Louisville is better in every single aspect when compared to lexington.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:37 PM

51 posts, read 80,495 times
Well I am originally from NJ very expensive as is Woodbridge Va, my first choice to live and work. Im mid 50's, seeking a fun, clean envirnment with friendly preppy type people. I graduated college in San Fran, own a small place in Clearwater Fl, but for personal reasons i don't want to go that far south right now.

Im debating weather to go to Lexington or Louisville, I just spoke to an employment agency in Louisville so will see what transpires with that. Now will be apt hunting. I was told to stay to the east end of town.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:17 PM

79 posts, read 123,955 times
Like both cities but Lou has more food choices and job opportunities besides more affordable housing options. Lex is cleaner, appears to be younger and more progressive and has prettier neighborhoods than Lou. Personally I give Lex a small edge because its closer to the mountains

Old 06-09-2016, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,185 times
Default Louisville is not three times bigger than lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Both cities are a lot different in many ways. What they have in common are friendly people, weather, and a low cost of living. Other than that, they really are much different. Louisville is nearly three times the size of Lexington, so comparing them can be apples and oranges.
Louisville = 399 mi²

Lexington = 285 mi²

That is far from 3 times as big. But Louisville has more of a big city feel than Lexington.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:38 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginn240 View Post
Louisville = 399 mi²

Lexington = 285 mi²

That is far from 3 times as big. But Louisville has more of a big city feel than Lexington.
This thread is over nine years old, looks like Lexton is catching up quick, heck, they'll probably pass up louiesville in a year or two.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky