Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:38 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,806,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
I think some people are getting their terms mixed up. It doesn't help that "midwestern" can be a difficult term to define. Here is a map, via Wikipedia, from the U.S. Census Bureau, depicting the official states of the midwest:

The people who imagine that various rural regions can be called Midwestern based on their culture or "feel", are quite simply mistaken. The Midwest isn't about being rural - it includes Chicago, Indianapolis, St. Louis and Minneapolis, as well as many other large cities.

And everyone can take note of the fact that Louisville isn't on that map. Neither ... is ... the state of New York.
I think the argument is they are both in a transition zone, not that either are solidly in the midwest. I've seen a lot of maps that do not include KY in the south, does that mean that it isn't southern?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/buffa...idwestern.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/louis...red-south.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 09:29 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
" transition zone "--

maybe the Buffalo Bills should switch to the NFL and play in the Central Division with the Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings and Green Bay Packers

Yup, good old midwestern team , them Buffalo Bills from Buffalo New York( sarc)

Old 06-23-2009, 10:20 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,056,436 times
No state which touches the Atlantic Ocean can be midwestern. That is not sensible.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:17 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,088,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I think the argument is they are both in a transition zone, not that either are solidly in the midwest. I've seen a lot of maps that do not include KY in the south, does that mean that it isn't southern?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/buffa...idwestern.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/louis...red-south.html
I have seen maps that didn't include Louisiana or Arkansas in the South either. I guess it just depends on what the map maker is trying to do.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:51 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,806,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
" transition zone "--

maybe the Buffalo Bills should switch to the NFL and play in the Central Division with the Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings and Green Bay Packers

Yup, good old midwestern team , them Buffalo Bills from Buffalo New York( sarc)
Louisville plays basketball in the Big East, so I guess Louisville is really not a Southern or Midwestern city, it is actually East Coast. There, that settles it.

I was born in Buffalo, virtually all my extended family is still there. I've spent at least one week a year there my entire life. I lived outside of Boston for a number of years. I've been to Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago...I've been to DC, New York, Providence... Buffalo has a lot more in common in terms of terrain, weather, food, cultures, economy with Cleveland, Detroit and Chicago than the others. It is in a transition area, it is neither purely midwest or northeast. Much like Louisville is neither purely southern or midwestern. Since this has NOTHING to do with KY, this is my last post on this.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:12 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
Cleveland shouldn't really be on the list either, it felt more New Englandish when I lived there, rather than Midwestern.

Well much of the upper Midwest was settled by New Englanders and upstate New Yorkers after the Erie Canal opened. New England had a very strong influence.

Ohio is generally considered the easternmost state of the Midwest. It was part of the old Northwest Territory along with what's now Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and part of Minnesota. During the War of the Rebellion Ohioans were considered westerners and most served in the Army of the Cumberland and Army of the Tennessee, the two Midwestern armies.

My own definition of the Midwest is from the forks of the Ohio west to where the long grass prarie was replaced by short grass and north of the Ohio east of the Mississippi and west of the Mississippi those states and territories that were free before the Great Rebellion. That makes some states like Pennsylvania, Kansas, Nebraska and the Dakotas part midwestern and part not.

Missouri is hard to place, some consider it midwestern, some southern and some a bit of both.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:01 PM

301 posts, read 1,372,104 times
Why are the subregions of the Midwest even an issue when it concerns the state of Kentucky as a whole? Most Kentuckians would consider the inclusion of this state in any region other than the South as offensive and I'am one of them.

As far as Louisville is concerned there are countless threads and polls (all over the internet and on this forum) on rather of Louisville is more Southern or Midwestern, and from what I've seem Louisville is more often than not considered more Southern.

Lol on a funnier note I don't know if any of you watched the American Idol auditions here in Louisville, but one of the rejects was accused of threatening the judges by saying "be careful" on his way out of the door. An uproar across the South followed the next day, with Southerners claiming that it was just a Southern phrase for saying good bye. On my aol homepage the story had appeared with the title American Idol apologizes to The South. This along with the current reality show on the Soap Network titled "Southern Belles" (lol I don't watch it) being set in Louisville is just another indicator the rest of Country generally views Louisville and Kentucky as Southern.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:05 PM

205 posts, read 587,858 times
Default enough is enough

I wish the mods would consider locking this whole "Is Kentucky part of the South/Midwest/East/Polar Ice Cap/Crab Nebula?" collection of threads. We get the same ones about Evansville and Southern Indiana. If ever a topic has been beaten to death, this is it.

Sorry about the rant. Blame it on the heat.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:02 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,088,265 times
Where is the OP? Was this a troll thread?

Old 06-26-2009, 10:08 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,428,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
Oh God are we going to start debating where Louisville belongs again? It is in the South.
A while back I put Louisville on eBay and didn't get a single bid. Oh well, I guess the .99 cent opening bid was to high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky