Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:04 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Really? To me the South is a compliment! A place of good manners, hospitality , refinement, old money, good breeding, and a love of horses and beautiful women!

Rednecks? They are in Western Mass and Upstate New York for Heaven's sakes!
I know. We all know. Believe me, it was a shock to run into people who thought the other thing.

Annnnndddd..... people in Kentucky do not care for the un-compliment of being called un-Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 11:45 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
No Baby, I'm not LOL Anyway, this is the last thing I am going to post about this and then I will no longer participate in these discussions. All it does is get me all fired up and that is not how I want to be. I know what I am, I know what Kentucky is and will no longer worry about what outsiders think. Here ya go:

Is Kentucky a Southern state? « The Bluegrass and Beyond

You tell em, Missy. I was born in Louisville and it is not "midwestern". I can barely type that without cringing...sorry anyone that is from the midwest.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:50 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
Quote:
Can I ask another stupid question?

Why do certain maps put Kentucky in the Southeast but leave out Virginia- when both states run parrellel to each other? Also, Virginia has a much more humid climate than Kentucky and is more in tune with the Carolinas and such. Kentucky summers are a lot more bearable !

Also when I was in school we had a question about were you born in a state south of Virginia. And my teacher with a cocky grin said "I was" then she said "Kentucky"

I was like, lady you need to look on the map!

You must not have spent recent summers in Kentucky. My sister lives in Atlanta and she has to go back to Atlanta when she comes up here in the summer to cool down.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:40 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Really? To me the South is a compliment! A place of good manners, hospitality , refinement, old money, good breeding, and a love of horses and beautiful women!

Rednecks? They are in Western Mass and Upstate New York for Heaven's sakes!
The South is a compliment to most of us... in the South but to outsiders sometimes it's seens as a big ol' Deliverence set. Of course we have the genteel, the good ol' boys and girls, rednecks and trash but honey, that's what makes the South so dang great!

As far as the Civil war is concerned, ironically I was watching a PBS special last night that said that Kentuckians thought that if they stayed in the Union it would preserve slavery (where do y'all think they got THAT idea?) and backed away and distrusted the Union after the Union started recruiting slaves and freed blacks into their army. I am going to wager to say that if it hadn't been for the African-americans joining the Union, the number of soldiers would have been near equal. (of course, I could be wrong). That is why Kentucky "joined the Confederacy after the war". Sounds like Kentuckians were lied to to me.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguy87 View Post
He definitely is VAsinger. I called him out on it in another thread. I knew he'd show up, again.
I don't mind him being here, just be honest about it

Old 02-11-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
You tell em, Missy. I was born in Louisville and it is not "midwestern". I can barely type that without cringing...sorry anyone that is from the midwest.
I wasn't born here but I was raised here and my whole family is from Kentucky (they aren't originally from Louisville but from Bardstown and mainly the Brandenburg area), we have been in this state since the 1700's, this country since the late 1600's, don't tell me what I am LOL!

Old 02-11-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
You must not have spent recent summers in Kentucky. My sister lives in Atlanta and she has to go back to Atlanta when she comes up here in the summer to cool down.
I am honestly more comfortable in Florida in the summer than I am here, the ocean winds just make it feel cooler there to me anyway. Here in the Ohio Valley the humidity just sits there and whoooooooweeeeeee it's sticky!

Old 02-11-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Thank ya hun by the way

Old 02-11-2009, 07:03 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,923 times
From the stories passed down in my family, some of my ancestors tried to stay out of the war until some of our people were slaughtered by members of the union army because of rumors that they had money hidden. The ancestors were an elderly farming couple and were at their home when it happened, according to the stories.
As I understand it, many Southerners felt that the states should have more rights to make laws pertaining to their own individual states and the federal government should have very limited powers. Of course some had slaves and wanted to keep them, but this does not apply to all who backed the confederacy. Slavery was part of the reason the Civil war was fought, but by no means the only reason.
Richmond, I'm still waiting to see those pictures.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
From the stories passed down in my family, some of my ancestors tried to stay out of the war until some of our people were slaughtered by members of the union army because of rumors that they had money hidden. The ancestors were an elderly farming couple and were at their home when it happened, according to the stories.
As I understand it, many Southerners felt that the states should have more rights to make laws pertaining to their own individual states and the federal government should have very limited powers. Of course some had slaves and wanted to keep them, but this does not apply to all who backed the confederacy. Slavery was part of the reason the Civil war was fought, but by no means the only reason.
Richmond, I'm still waiting to see those pictures.
It said on that show that one in five in Kentucky at that time were slaves, that's alot of people! I learned alot watching that, makes me wish I would have paid attention in school. It also said that when Lincoln freed the slaves during the war, it didn't count the "border" states, so they were still allowed slaves. So when Lincoln enlisted the slaves to fight, Kentuckians got mad and backed away from the union. The Governor even wrote to Lincoln saying if he didn't remove the "negros" from the war, he would do it himself!
Kentuckians thought slavery would never end. To me that says that Kentucky was duped, had they known the truth from the beginning they would have suceeded. (I am by no means saying slavery was ok, it most certainly wasn't) It kept coming back to state's rights, they felt it was their right as a state to keep slaves and that the federal government didn't have the right to say otherwise. Lincoln was no longer trusted after this and Kentucky as a whole started acting as if they were Confederates all along.
One of my ancestors got a letter after the war and it started by calling him a "disloyal citizen" and I think it was regarding supplies if I remember right, what the heck did that mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky