Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:20 AM

647 posts, read 2,084,385 times

Advertisements

I'm a native Kentuckian and I do not consider myself to be a South-ron......although, living in TN for the last 12 years, I'm kind of an "adopted" southerner.

southern or no southern, it's all good.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 09:32 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,118,468 times
Richmonder,
Once again I extend my invitation. If you do not think Kentucky is southern, simply drive from one end of the state to the other and call everyone you meet a yankee. You will, of course, report the results back here, won't you? Can we get pictures, too?
President Davis and President Lincoln were both born in Kentucky. Officially, 32,000 Kentucky men fought for the South and 70,000 for the north. This state was bitterly divided, but I think most of us consider ourselves southern and the placement of the Mason-Dixion line seems to agree.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:39 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,697,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Kentuckians consider themselves Southern. There are plenty of threads on this topic if you like to search. Quite honestly, Virginia feels LESS Southern to me, than Kentucky does. Probably varies a lot by microregion.
Thats odd to me. Virginia is more like the Old South. But Kentucky to me feels like Ohio. Maybe its just the area I was in .

I live in Richmond-Capital of the Confederacy.

I dont see how anyone could say Kentucky is more Southern Virginia .

Old 02-10-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I find this interesting:

The Fan district, Richmond VA:

Old Louisville:

The Fan:

Old Louisville:

and both claim to have the largest Victorian home district. Interesting!

But Richmond is much Southern in culture than Louisville. Sure it has the Kentucky Derby, but Richmond is more in tune with Charleston-Savannah.

Richmond is also further south than Louisville. But I digress..

Okay, maybe I should have re-posted this thread "Do Louis-villeians consider themselves Southrons?" Because mainly thats about the only city I have been to in Ky along with Elizabethtown, and a tiny bit of Ashland.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:49 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,057,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Richmonder,
Once again I extend my invitation. If you do not think Kentucky is southern, simply drive from one end of the state to the other and call everyone you meet a yankee. You will, of course, report the results back here, won't you? Can we get pictures, too?
LOL - there's a reality show waiting to happen!!

Old 02-10-2009, 12:23 PM

I hope I didnt offend any Kentucky people with my thread. It was just an obvious curiosity. Since Kentkcy was not part of the Confederacy, many here in Virginia do not consider it The South

But this should make Kentuckians happy: Often in maps or books doing on the "Southeast" they include Kentucky but leave out Virginia. Why I don't know. I think its silly since we are pretty much on the same lattitude. That should make y'all feel better.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:50 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,092,380 times
You said that all of Kentucky felt like Ohio and then admited that you have barely even ventured into it. Yes, there are parts that feel more midwestern but as a whole, Kentucky is Southern. I also find it ironic that since Kentucky used to BE Virginia that you would be so exclusive. I guess you didn't even read that very long post I put down or the link I posted. You probably didn't even look at the pictures I put up either. I don't see much difference between Richmond and Louisville in pictures anyway.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:52 PM

Well shoot fire I forgot I am not supposed to post anymore. Ok, mark off the record all I just said lol

Old 02-10-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Richmonder,
President Davis and President Lincoln were both born in Kentucky. Officially, 32,000 Kentucky men fought for the South and 70,000 for the north. This state was bitterly divided, but I think most of us consider ourselves southern and the placement of the Mason-Dixion line seems to agree.
You are so funny LOL Love ya girl!

Old 02-10-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
You said that all of Kentucky felt like Ohio and then admited that you have barely even ventured into it. Yes, there are parts that feel more midwestern but as a whole, Kentucky is Southern. I also find it ironic that since Kentucky used to BE Virginia that you would be so exclusive. I guess you didn't even read that very long post I put down or the link I posted. You probably didn't even look at the pictures I put up either. I don't see much difference between Richmond and Louisville in pictures anyway.
Yes, you're right I have only been to parts of KY.

I will say this- the people are very nice and I did enjoy the beauty of the state. Yes- you know, parts of it a very much like Virginia.

I just felt like overall, it was more like Ohio in the "vibe". Not so much the people.

I realize many people would even question Virginia as being Southern, especially Northern Virginia. But here in Richmond, we're are more like the Deep South in a way- because I have been to the Deep South and places likes Charleston and Savannah remind me of Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky