Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:02 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times

Advertisements

I will never say that we are like the "deep south" because we aren't. As has been pointed out before, there is no one "South", there are many facets to the jewel that is Dixie and each facet is just as beautiful as the other and quit comparing us to Ohio before I have to come over there LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 04:21 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,117,244 times
Kentucky officially had 32,000 men in the fighting in the confederacy. Kentucky was the birthplace of Confederate President Davis. Kentucky was also a battlefield during the war. I think we might have had something to do with the south.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:10 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Kentucky officially had 32,000 men in the fighting in the confederacy. Kentucky was the birthplace of Confederate President Davis. Kentucky was also a battlefield during the war. I think we might have had something to do with the south.
Amen sistah! and that doesn't count guerilla men either.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 PM

237 posts, read 849,312 times
I had ancestors that fought on both sides of the civil war and have lots of well perserved letters that I am currently going through. The funny thing is that slavery is barely mentioned in the text at all, but we have been taught that was the main cause of the conflict.
It is interesting stuff, to say the least. As far as being "Southrons"...I am not familiar with that term, but if it refers to a more laid back lifestyle with deep rooted traditions I guess Kentucky generally fits that mould.

Dig~

Old 02-10-2009, 07:50 PM

137 posts, read 448,494 times
All of the Commonwealth including Northern parts geographically like Louisville and Northern Kentucky are southern, culturally, socially, etc. However, some parts of the Commonwealth or more southern than others. It just depends on where you are!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:09 PM

137 posts, read 448,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Richmonder,
Once again I extend my invitation. If you do not think Kentucky is southern, simply drive from one end of the state to the other and call everyone you meet a yankee. You will, of course, report the results back here, won't you? Can we get pictures, too?
President Davis and President Lincoln were both born in Kentucky. Officially, 32,000 Kentucky men fought for the South and 70,000 for the north. This state was bitterly divided, but I think most of us consider ourselves southern and the placement of the Mason-Dixion line seems to agree.
Well said and the most unbiased response I have read to this question!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:39 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,696,080 times
Can I ask another stupid question?

Why do certain maps put Kentucky in the Southeast but leave out Virginia- when both states run parrellel to each other? Also, Virginia has a much more humid climate than Kentucky and is more in tune with the Carolinas and such. Kentucky summers are a lot more bearable !

Also when I was in school we had a question about were you born in a state south of Virginia. And my teacher with a cocky grin said "I was" then she said "Kentucky"

I was like, lady you need to look on the map!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:23 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Can I ask another stupid question?

Why do certain maps put Kentucky in the Southeast but leave out Virginia- when both states run parrellel to each other? Also, Virginia has a much more humid climate than Kentucky and is more in tune with the Carolinas and such. Kentucky summers are a lot more bearable !

Also when I was in school we had a question about were you born in a state south of Virginia. And my teacher with a cocky grin said "I was" then she said "Kentucky"

I was like, lady you need to look on the map!
I'm so with you. Some people have no idea of history OR geography.

I think I have an answer for this, though. There is, in certain areas of our great nation, a certain bias against Southerners. The South is thought (by uninformed and unintelligent individuals) to be filled with backward, redneck, hidebound, reactionary, racist thumpers of Bibles. The people who think this, probably think they are paying Virginia (East Coast, adjacent to DC) a compliment by including it with the East, rather than the South.

Of course we all know better than this, but I'm guessing that this thought pattern plays a role.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,696,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
I'm so with you. Some people have no idea of history OR geography.

I think I have an answer for this, though. There is, in certain areas of our great nation, a certain bias against Southerners. The South is thought (by uninformed and unintelligent individuals) to be filled with backward, redneck, hidebound, reactionary, racist thumpers of Bibles. The people who think this, probably think they are paying Virginia (East Coast, adjacent to DC) a compliment by including it with the East, rather than the South.

Of course we all know better than this, but I'm guessing that this thought pattern plays a role.

Really? To me the South is a compliment! A place of good manners, hospitality , refinement, old money, good breeding, and a love of horses and beautiful women!

Rednecks? They are in Western Mass and Upstate New York for Heaven's sakes!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:51 PM

28 posts, read 125,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I think the original poster was the old Vasinger who used to post all the time. If it walks like a duck ya know
He definitely is VAsinger. I called him out on it in another thread. I knew he'd show up, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky