Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:33 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times

Advertisements

You sound like someone who can put some interesting insights into a discussion.
As for happiness, or unhappiness, I think that would make a great thread for discussion. But I don't know if there is such a category where it would fit.
Happiness is subjective and not standardized. In my my case it may be a matter of living in the South as opposed to the North, or Red state or Blue state. It could be that I don't share the same values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 08:41 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
You will find happiness posts in relationships, religion,etc. Check out the threads in the other topics forum. I think youboth would really enjoy getting involved in some of those discussions and debates

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-04-2007 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: wrong quote

Old 06-04-2007, 09:05 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
You sound like someone who can put some interesting insights into a discussion.
As for happiness, or unhappiness, I think that would make a great thread for discussion. But I don't know if there is such a category where it would fit.
Happiness is subjective and not standardized. In my my case it may be a matter of living in the South as opposed to the North, or Red state or Blue state. It could be that I don't share the same values.
That would be interesting, as blue62 (hike, hike) pointed out there are threads or places to make them in the main forum. Unless you feel that your personal unhappiness or at least perceived unhappiness is in fact Kentucky rooted. But that would not be my call.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:28 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Several days ago I actually started a thread "Quality of Life" in the Other Topics section.
I wasn't sure where a theme such as that should be placed, because quality of life is not necessarily dependent on religion or relationships. Therefore, I didn't think that QOL should be a subordinate theme to either, the responses could be predictable.
Only a few responded.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:48 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
Quote:
Several days ago I actually started a thread "Quality of Life" in the Other Topics section.
I wasn't sure where a theme such as that should be placed, because quality of life is not necessarily dependent on religion or relationships. Therefore, I didn't think that QOL should be a subordinate theme to either, the responses could be predictable.
Only a few responded.
As I've said Happiness is a choice, it nothing to do with religion or relationships it comes from within.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:09 PM

20 posts, read 64,842 times
Quote:
I grew up in Chicago. Five years ago I moved to Louisville, Kentucky, because the natural scenery of Kentucky is gorgeous and varied. I like to go camping.
Before moving I knew it would be different, but how big of a chasm between Louisville and Chicago became evident after the first year. I have since regretted my move. The problems I find are; no window to the outside world; too much of a preoccupation with football and basketball; too many people who have guns; too much religion and constant talk of morals; too much blind loyalty to conservatism, lack of interesting radio and TV stations; scoffing at "book learning"; little interest for culture (movies, music, arts, etc); dull food; lack of decent jobs that pay a liveable wage. The per capita income in Kentucky ranks 46th of 50.
I've never lived anywhere where so many grown adults have such a problem with 5th grade english. I have nothing against the accent, sometimes I find it appealing, but it would be great to hear correct grammar. To me it seems absurd to drive thru the eastern part of Kentucky which has a poverty rate of 25%, to look at the run down trailers or small houses, but in front are flags, biblical quotes on signs, and vote Bush/Cheney stickers. It bothers me to see people who are getting shafted being so supportive of those who give them the shaft. Also, the people assume that I should have a fanatical loyalty to either the U of Louisville or U of Kentucky sports teams. When the two meet in football or basketball the whole state stops everything to watch. It's the main event of the year.
But it's not all bad. I have met interesting people, but not very often. Most are friendly, but I avoid any conversations about politics or religion. I have been to France several times and like the country, but I wouldn't dare mention that in Kentucky.
I don't vote Republican, don't own guns, I am an aethiest, don't believe Rush, don't drink Bud Light, don't desire to own a Harley, and all that indicates that Kentucky is not for people like me. But I'm stuck here for a while.
If anyone remembers, the media spectacle called Justice Sunday happened in Louisville. The newly built Creation Museum is in Kentucky. In 2008 the NRA will hold its annual convention in Louisville. One thing I've noticed is that music groups don't have concerts in Kentucky, other than Country, Southern Boogie or Kid Rock. Art exhibits detour Kentucky. How Louisville can financially maintain a symphony orchestra is beyond me. The guest list for the recent Kentucky Derby was mostly pro athletes and run-of-the-mill actors from TV shows, such as soap operas. Even the Louisville Courier-Journal termed it a b-list of guests.
If you are interested in world events and like culture you'll be disappointed. For lack of culture the Features section of the Courier-Journal has little more to report other than recipes and fashion tips. Once, as I purchased a copy of the New York Times, the clerk sneered at me.
The people are not mean and nasty, they are easy to engage in pleasant conversation, but I have become cautious about what I say. Make it easy on yourself...Don't knock Bush, don't criticize guns, under no circumstances don't ever say any negatives about the war in Iraq, also do not defend minorities or stick up for other religions. This caution goes double when in rural Kentucky. Be very careful. Make sure you know who you're talking to.
Most people are honest. To my surprise, the poorest counties have the lowest crime rates. I have also met Kentuckians who were very informed about current world events, thought the Bush administration was corrupt, that the war was a mistake, appreciated the arts, and had thorough knowledge of foreign films.
I'm sure there are many Kentuckians who cringe at being unfairly stereotyped, and I sincerely apologize to them. I only wish I could meet more of you.
thank you for this very infomative very accurate post about louisville ky I am a native of LA born and raised and i moved here 2 years ago (and i really regret it ) what they are is a buck of maral hippocrites they say one thing and do another but you my friend are very lucky that you feel that you have met some nice people me on the other hand have not thay are rude people here and can notice when you are not from her and get very clicky and judgemental as if they are mad they were born and raised in louisville and have not been culturally exposed to city life ,and the footbal and basketball omg!!!!! but where is come from we have pro teams, college teams and it is not that serious. never anything exciting going on .3 malls !!!! do you hear me 3 malls!!!! that is ridiculous and they keep talking about what is going to be coming in the future which will still make this state behind the times they are not ready for big city life anyway.98% of the the people i have met are rude, intrusive, hippocrites and the accent drives me crazy it sounds so ignorant now 2% of people i have met don't talk with the accent they speak very prpoer english and they were born and raised here so i know that is ignorance to speak that way . whoever is leaving a metropolitan state to live here PLEASE DO NOT!!!!! seriously this state will try to put you back 400 years

Old 07-29-2008, 06:27 PM

20 posts, read 64,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Thank you for your responses. My best friend lives in Prospect and so I've been to Louisville many times. Of the southern states we have been to (VA, GA, the Carolinas), KY is by far the cleanest and friendliest. We love it there. My husband has been a Los Angeles Police officer for almost 34 years - he is more than ready to trade L.A. a quieter, safer place.

With all the positive aspects of KY, I know there will be a lot of differences between CA and KY (mostly positive), hence, my reason for wanting to hear the experiences of others who have made the big move from CA to KY.

Again, thank you very much for your nice responses!
i grew up in california 35yrs all i have to say to you is DON'T DO IT!!! it will be a major culture shock i have never regretted anything more in my life i had a child at 17 got married at 18 divorced at 27 and out of all the things i consider bad in my life moving to Louisville is the baddest thing i have ever done consider the carolinas, atlanta , tennesse i even like little rock arkansas better than this ridiculous place they are not friendly ,the weather is awaful the cost of living is not cheaper when you consider the high cost of utilities ,(the high falluting i am a southern christian with exceptional morals and values attitudes) and they are the first to cheat on they're spouse ,treat theyu're family like they are not family, be an alcoholic, sell drugs but thy are good ole' southern folk ya'll .paleeease!!!! if you are looking for a boring nothing to offer stuck back in the times place to live then Kentucky is the place to be . But i would really consider making a move here this place will try to put you back 400 years .

Old 07-29-2008, 07:14 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martylonleela View Post
thank you for this very infomative very accurate post about louisville ky I am a native of LA born and raised and i moved here 2 years ago (and i really regret it ) what they are is a buck of maral hippocrites they say one thing and do another but you my friend are very lucky that you feel that you have met some nice people me on the other hand have not thay are rude people here and can notice when you are not from her and get very clicky and judgemental as if they are mad they were born and raised in louisville and have not been culturally exposed to city life ,and the footbal and basketball omg!!!!! but where is come from we have pro teams, college teams and it is not that serious. never anything exciting going on .3 malls !!!! do you hear me 3 malls!!!! that is ridiculous and they keep talking about what is going to be coming in the future which will still make this state behind the times they are not ready for big city life anyway.98% of the the people i have met are rude, intrusive, hippocrites and the accent drives me crazy it sounds so ignorant now 2% of people i have met don't talk with the accent they speak very prpoer english and they were born and raised here so i know that is ignorance to speak that way . whoever is leaving a metropolitan state to live here PLEASE DO NOT!!!!! seriously this state will try to put you back 400 years
I am not even sure how to respond to this. I am sorry that you have had such a hard time hre in Louisville and hope you find somewhere else more suited to you.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:08 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I am not even sure how to respond to this. I am sorry that you have had such a hard time hre in Louisville and hope you find somewhere else more suited to you.
Hi,

Well I have just decided to avoid Louisville and the surrounding areas, if some of the post are representative of the people living there. I mean the ones who do not want to live there. Too many people like that in California, so why move near them.

That said, I and my wife will be in Bowling Green in Sept checking the area out. It seems to be what I want after living virtually my entire live in Orange County. Other than stints in Idaho, NV, NC, IN, TX. So why not KY.

CA is great when your are young, not too experienced with life yet and want to establish yourself for later in life when you will want to leave. You will enjoy yourself, learn from the really stupid things you do because everyone else is doing it, and make enough money, if you avoid drugs and booze, and be able to live nicely somewhere (anywhere) else when you have grown up some.

OK a bit sarcastic, to fit the tone of some posts. CA is great I just wish it hadn't gotten so crowded. Nowhere else has the weather and the number of things to do and see. BUT that is not all there is to life. Enjoy CA while young and then move to a quieter place to finish out your life. Maybe that is the best of both 'worlds'.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:39 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
Hi,

Well I have just decided to avoid Louisville and the surrounding areas, if some of the post are representative of the people living there. I mean the ones who do not want to live there. Too many people like that in California, so why move near them.

That said, I and my wife will be in Bowling Green in Sept checking the area out. It seems to be what I want after living virtually my entire live in Orange County. Other than stints in Idaho, NV, NC, IN, TX. So why not KY.

CA is great when your are young, not too experienced with life yet and want to establish yourself for later in life when you will want to leave. You will enjoy yourself, learn from the really stupid things you do because everyone else is doing it, and make enough money, if you avoid drugs and booze, and be able to live nicely somewhere (anywhere) else when you have grown up some.

OK a bit sarcastic, to fit the tone of some posts. CA is great I just wish it hadn't gotten so crowded. Nowhere else has the weather and the number of things to do and see. BUT that is not all there is to life. Enjoy CA while young and then move to a quieter place to finish out your life. Maybe that is the best of both 'worlds'.
Just curious what was wrong with Missy's post? As an FYI, she was replying to a forumer, martylonleela, who has come on to our forum very abrubtly, and rudely. She has made rude attacks, and called people here "clueless southerners" and many names. So that is why she got the reaction she did from Missy. Frankly, that forumer has made a fool of herself calling us names and using blatantly incorrect grammar. I could have erased her posts but sometimes these types of unfriendly forumers must be exposed. Also, to be blunt, if you walk into anywhere in KY saying "we had this back home," many of the natives will not take to kindly about it. This is coming from a guy who has traveled the world and lived extensively in several US cities, including the west coast. I have been in Louisville for awhile due to the friendly people and high quality of life. If the job market was booming more, I have no doubt it would be growing much faster.

I would be careful judging a metro area of 1.3 million people by a few internet posts anyways....

Last edited by Peter1948; 07-31-2008 at 01:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky