Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:15 PM

13 posts, read 45,687 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I grew up in Long Beach, CA. As far back as I can remember I have hated the city. I have always felt as if I were born in the wrong place. My wife and I live in Riverside CA at the moment, but we are planning to move to KY in Feb/Mar of '08. I am so excited about finally being out of the city. No more traffic, rude people, crowded streets, thick smoggy air... blah!

When you guys get there make sure you write on here and let us all know about how great it is! I cant wait for my turn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 04:47 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Jake - I do think Long Beach is one of the nicest cities in L.A. county- we are 5 minutes from the beach, our neighborhood has little crime and the houses are nice - just too much traffic and terrible air and too expensive....Riverside is at least 30 degrees warmer in the summer and has horrible smog and crime - I can see why you would want to move from there.

As far as subdivisions go - no we do not want to live in a subdivision and we want to have convenient services within a few miles.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:29 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
One of my agents recently moved from Fresno to Kentucky. He is x-military and she was managed a home furnishings distribution company prior to its sale and then real estate.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:47 PM

10 posts, read 44,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djones612000 View Post
Hi there, I live in Huntington Beach right now.. and I am planning on moving to Falmouth, Pendleton County, KY in a few months.

What made you choose Ky????

Me, done with CA.. and horses..

I do have a friend who moved to Mayfield, Graves County back in the late 90's she was originally from San Deigo area. I could ask if I could send on her email. I know that her area.. is really out in the boonies... not sure how rurual you want to live.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Deborah
We live in Orange County and are seriously thinking of moving to the Bluegrass region of KY. We are done with CA too, and want a farm where our horses can be horses! I'd love to chat with anyone who has left CA for KY, to hear of your experiences and feelings.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:46 PM

32 posts, read 139,919 times
I grew up in Santa Monica and moved to Louisville in '91. I relocated to Massachusetts in 2000, but never forgot beautiful KY. Those were wonderful years. I had gotten burned out with the L.A. life and Louisville was a breath of fresh air . . . and the living was easy.

We're consider a move back, and my husband is on plane right now headed to Louisville for a job interview tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I think Louisville is where I want to be for the rest of my life.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:51 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon girl View Post
I grew up in Santa Monica and moved to Louisville in '91. I relocated to Massachusetts in 2000, but never forgot beautiful KY. Those were wonderful years. I had gotten burned out with the L.A. life and Louisville was a breath of fresh air . . . and the living was easy.

We're consider a move back, and my husband is on plane right now headed to Louisville for a job interview tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I think Louisville is where I want to be for the rest of my life.
Good luck and welcome back if you come. Something about Louisville draws you back, and maybe it is just an appreciation of large city conveniences with small town friendliness and lifestyle.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:35 AM

88 posts, read 383,430 times
Danville is nice, small town living, and only 35 miles SW of Lexington. The housing costs and property taxes are the lowest of any central KY community of 15,000+. It's a very nice and clean community with decent, hard-working people, three colleges, three state historic sites, one of America's most thriving small town arts communities, decent shopping--you basically never HAVE to leave town unless you have to.

My BIGGEST preference, however, is the "obtuse angle" that consists of the south and east Louisville Metro area. I define that as Hardin County north of the parkways, Bullitt County (except Shepherdsville,) Jefferson County (outside of the urban service area,) Oldham County and Shelby County. The cost of living here is still substantially less than other metro areas even in Kentucky, the highway system is decent, the job market is growing (especially in Hardin and Bullitt,) and there are good public and private schools (Jefferson and Oldham.) Public schools in the Louisville Metro rank better statewide and nationally than do schools in Lexington, Owensboro, Northern KY, and other metros.

Louisville is Kentucky's most thriving metro area. It's no Las Vegas, but it beats the socks off of Lexington, too. Anywhere in Louisville you live will put you within 5-10 minutes of Wal-Mart and Kroger and 10-20 minutes of Lowe's, Home Depot, Applebee's, O'Charley's, etc. Don't forget to check out Bardstown Road (The Highlands and Original Highlands,) Crescent Hill, Clifton, and other great neighborhoods that make Louisville, Louisville. If you don't want neighbors, you might be thinking, "Louisville is not the largest city in the world, but it might still be crowded enough." I understand, the Louisville-Elizabethtown Metro area has 1.4 million people. But don't be fooled. Out in the knob areas of Hardin County and south and east Bullitt County, as well as the gently rolling limestone hills of north and east Shelby County (Bagdad, Cropper, Cedarmore areas,) you will find relatively low-cost land or country houses with few neighbors.

But, no matter where in the metro you live, from the most rural to most urban areas, you'll still be less than one hour from Downtown Louisville, unless traffic is horrible, which it seldom is (at least compared to other large cities around the country.) Now, if it's "Southern" hospitality you're looking for, you might move here from L.A. and think this is heaven. Of course, most of my travels have been in the Old Confederacy, and I really don't think Kentucky is that friendly. But, different strokes for different folks.

So, in summary,
AREAS TO CONSIDER:
1. Hardin County (except Radcliff/Ft. Knox,)
2. Bullitt County (except Shepherdsville,)
3. Jefferson County (outside urban service, or roughly east of National Turnpike and outside I-264,)
4. Shelby County,
5. Oldham County, and
6. Danville/Boyle County.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:10 PM

32 posts, read 139,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Good luck and welcome back if you come. Something about Louisville draws you back, and maybe it is just an appreciation of large city conveniences with small town friendliness and lifestyle.
Thank you! Hopefully, I'll know something by the end of this week. Then the house hunting begins!

Old 05-30-2007, 01:52 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,598 times
Wait... I think I'm having deja-vu... deja-vu.. oh wait.. nope just cut and paste...

Anyway.. I relocated from CA back in 1991 and never regretted it for a day! I was not a Southern CA native, but a Northern CA native. I grew up in Sacramento, Eureka, Auburn, Susanville and lastly Santa Cruz. I think KY hands down is almost every Californians dream.. without them knowing LOL..

If you love city life and amenities.. definitely stay closer to the Louisville side of Kentucky.. or even far Western Ky.. mentioned by another poster above..

I think once the initial "culture-shock" wears off and you actually settle down from the break-neck pace of life you are most likely used to and don't even realize it, you will be extremely pleased with your move to Kentucky. While many say Eastern Kentucky is about 20 years behind it's times.. I think if you consider Kentucky as a whole... in comparison to 95% of the rest of the US.. Ky IS behind the times.. but that is a GOOD thing... we live in relative peace (no gang wars), our housing is much cheaper than almost any other state as a whole, we have a LOT of undeveloped land/nature without having the crush of millions of people living on that land.. while we don't have an ocean... we ARE touted as the state with the most lakes/water in the lower 48. You can have "fairly" big-city life and amenities, to farmland, to rolling hills, to the Appalachian Mountains, whatever your preference, Kentucky offers it!

I've said this somewhere before.. forgive my deja-vu... er cut & paste, but I now consider myself a Califorkian... born in Cali, but Kentuckian by choice!!!
As of Friday.. I guess I'll be changing that again... how bout it Blue62.. I'm with you girl.. I'm gonna be a PROUD Appalachian American!!!! ;o

Old 06-02-2007, 06:54 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
I grew up in Chicago. Five years ago I moved to Louisville, Kentucky, because the natural scenery of Kentucky is gorgeous and varied. I like to go camping.
Before moving I knew it would be different, but how big of a chasm between Louisville and Chicago became evident after the first year. I have since regretted my move. The problems I find are; no window to the outside world; too much of a preoccupation with football and basketball; too many people who have guns; too much religion and constant talk of morals; too much blind loyalty to conservatism, lack of interesting radio and TV stations; scoffing at "book learning"; little interest for culture (movies, music, arts, etc); dull food; lack of decent jobs that pay a liveable wage. The per capita income in Kentucky ranks 46th of 50.
I've never lived anywhere where so many grown adults have such a problem with 5th grade english. I have nothing against the accent, sometimes I find it appealing, but it would be great to hear correct grammar. To me it seems absurd to drive thru the eastern part of Kentucky which has a poverty rate of 25%, to look at the run down trailers or small houses, but in front are flags, biblical quotes on signs, and vote Bush/Cheney stickers. It bothers me to see people who are getting shafted being so supportive of those who give them the shaft. Also, the people assume that I should have a fanatical loyalty to either the U of Louisville or U of Kentucky sports teams. When the two meet in football or basketball the whole state stops everything to watch. It's the main event of the year.
But it's not all bad. I have met interesting people, but not very often. Most are friendly, but I avoid any conversations about politics or religion. I have been to France several times and like the country, but I wouldn't dare mention that in Kentucky.
I don't vote Republican, don't own guns, I am an aethiest, don't believe Rush, don't drink Bud Light, don't desire to own a Harley, and all that indicates that Kentucky is not for people like me. But I'm stuck here for a while.
If anyone remembers, the media spectacle called Justice Sunday happened in Louisville. The newly built Creation Museum is in Kentucky. In 2008 the NRA will hold its annual convention in Louisville. One thing I've noticed is that music groups don't have concerts in Kentucky, other than Country, Southern Boogie or Kid Rock. Art exhibits detour Kentucky. How Louisville can financially maintain a symphony orchestra is beyond me. The guest list for the recent Kentucky Derby was mostly pro athletes and run-of-the-mill actors from TV shows, such as soap operas. Even the Louisville Courier-Journal termed it a b-list of guests.
If you are interested in world events and like culture you'll be disappointed. For lack of culture the Features section of the Courier-Journal has little more to report other than recipes and fashion tips. Once, as I purchased a copy of the New York Times, the clerk sneered at me.
The people are not mean and nasty, they are easy to engage in pleasant conversation, but I have become cautious about what I say. Make it easy on yourself...Don't knock Bush, don't criticize guns, under no circumstances don't ever say any negatives about the war in Iraq, also do not defend minorities or stick up for other religions. This caution goes double when in rural Kentucky. Be very careful. Make sure you know who you're talking to.
Most people are honest. To my surprise, the poorest counties have the lowest crime rates. I have also met Kentuckians who were very informed about current world events, thought the Bush administration was corrupt, that the war was a mistake, appreciated the arts, and had thorough knowledge of foreign films.
I'm sure there are many Kentuckians who cringe at being unfairly stereotyped, and I sincerely apologize to them. I only wish I could meet more of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky