Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:32 PM

52 posts, read 174,962 times

Advertisements

Hey there -

Could anyone tell me about the weather in different parts of Kentucky?
North, South, East, West and Central?
How hot and humid is it in Summer, how cold, snowy, windy is it in Winter?
Trying to find the best climate for our little family.

Trying to find somewhere that is;

above 30 in the winter, above 40 would be better.
need snow sometimes in winter, but not blizard amount.
windy is fine, any season.
not above 99 degrees in the summer, not above 90 would be better.
not humid in summer.
4 seasons that are distinctly different.
changing collors of the leaves in the fall.

Does this weather pattern exist in Ketucky?

Any help would be welcome, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:38 PM

45 posts, read 213,913 times
what you discribe is not KY. It can get real hot in the summer in cold in the winters. You can get alot of snow but their is really no pattern. Kentucky has crazy weather.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:02 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,324 times
That place you described is not in KY.

You can get 100+ summers and below zero winters, you can have no snow or a bunch of it,

Last year we have 40+days over a 100 degrees and no rain, this year we've had only 1 and a lot of rain. Three years ago we had over 2 feet of snow in the winter, last year nearly none.

So if you don't like the weather, wait it'll change.

KY has 4 seasons ....

Winter, almost summer, summer and still summer.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:20 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
I grew up in the western part of the state (Madisonville) and my parents and relatives are still in the area. I am also a meteorologist up in the far north....

the summers are hot and humid with 88 to 95 degree highs pretty typical along with high humidity....I remember the 3H rule in the summer hazy hot and humid. I hated it and had to move north which I did after HS. As for the winters...I like cold so to me Kentucky winters are quite mild but as other posters said can be variable but overall the southern and far western areas of the state average highs are in the low to mid 40s in January (average though as individual days can be quite a bit colder or warmer). It does snow some each year. North central parts of the state are the coldest and prone to more snow (such as Louisville-Lexington-Convington).

Now fall and spring are pretty nice...

Dan

Old 07-22-2008, 10:30 PM

29 posts, read 128,491 times
Thanks for the replys!

Ok, I guess I have to be more realistic.

Where is the LEAST hot/humid places in Kentucky?

Any type of winter, but still leaves changing collor in fall?

Thanks.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:46 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewest View Post
Thanks for the replys!

Ok, I guess I have to be more realistic.

Where is the LEAST hot/humid places in Kentucky?

Any type of winter, but still leaves changing collor in fall?

Thanks.
The western end of the state, where I'm at in the Jackson Purchase is by far the most humid, we are surround by lakes, rivers, swamps and streams.

I'd say the the eastern end of the state in the hills is the least humid in terms of HOT and HUMID. It was 95 here today with 90% humidity ... I work outside so you drip all day long and your cloths are soaked in sweat. Many people can't handle the humidity here.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:10 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
The western end of the state, where I'm at in the Jackson Purchase is by far the most humid, we are surround by lakes, rivers, swamps and streams.

I'd say the the eastern end of the state in the hills is the least humid in terms of HOT and HUMID. It was 95 here today with 90% humidity ... I work outside so you drip all day long and your cloths are soaked in sweat. Many people can't handle the humidity here.
How is the Bowling Green area? I expect humidity but am curious about snow?

Old 07-23-2008, 07:04 AM

15 posts, read 106,735 times
I have lived here for 1 year so take what I say with a grain of salt. We moved in August, were able to see a nice change of leaves. The autumn was beautiful and mild. The winter was a little cold for this Florida girl but not too bad. It was as low as 23 during the day but generally closer to high 30s to 40. I think this might be an atypical summer because it hasn't been too hot. This week has been the only hot (and I mean very hot - 98) but other than that it has mostly been in the 80s. We have gone in the pool this week but other than this week, we could go in only 3 times this summer. It is VERY windy at times, especially during storms. Last night, winds reached 60 mph and that is not uncommon. I like a lot of sun so I'd like it to be sunnier but it's really not bad. The weather is my favorite aspect of Lexington, but I'm comparing it to Florida and Canada!

Old 07-23-2008, 07:06 AM

15 posts, read 106,735 times
The humidity I find to be pretty low. My gauge generally reads around 40-50% but I can't verify its accuracy. Oh, and we had snow a few times but only once or twice enough to make a snowman. Mostly it just added to the beauty but not enough to be annoying and require work.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:15 AM

87 posts, read 358,045 times
I'm in Kenton County in far Northern KY. So I'll try to answer based on my part of the state (which is different than Southern KY).

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlake View Post

Trying to find somewhere that is;

above 30 in the winter, above 40 would be better.
Might be a tad too cold for you. Our average highs for Jan and early Feb are in the low 30s. We'll get down into the single digits for lows a few times a year.

Quote:
need snow sometimes in winter, but not blizard amount.
We get measurable snow a couple of times a year. Maybe a foot once every five years.

Quote:
windy is fine, any season.
We're not Chicago, but we do get some wind.

Quote:
not above 99 degrees in the summer, not above 90 would be better.
I can't remember the last time we got into the triple digits. However, our normal summertime highs are in the high 80s, and we get into the low 90s periodically.

Quote:
not humid in summer.
Ouch. We do get humid. But it's tolerable.

Quote:
4 seasons that are distinctly different.
Yeah, I think we do, although our springs are a little shorter than I wish they'd be. We probably only get two months of good spring (April and May), before heading into summer.

Quote:
changing collors of the leaves in the fall.
Yup, we have that. Best time of fall for that is the first three weeks in October.

Quote:
Does this weather pattern exist in Ketucky?
Honestly, I don't think it exists anywhere. What we do have are winters that are cold, but not too cold, summers that are hot, but not too hot and four distinct seasons.

Quote:
Any help would be welcome, thank you.
Hope this helped you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky