Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 03:31 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Ashland is not poor and depressing. That's a bit of an exaggeration I do believe.

Have you been to downtown Ashland lately?

The Red River Gorge area near Slade is beautiful, not that there's any jobs near there either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 05:31 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
What is wrong with Ashland? From what I have seen in pictures and read about, it sounds like a nice place.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:56 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlack View Post
How far are the mountains from corbin? whats the land like around corbin? I was reading something it said corbin lies in 2 counties and it causes problems with taxes does anyone know anything about that? how much trouble does it cause?
Here is a map that shows the topography of the area

Panoramio - Photos of the World (http://www.panoramio.com/map/?user=867406#lt=36.665114&ln=-83.874092&z=5&k=2&a=1&tab=4 - broken link)

Old 06-29-2008, 07:03 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
How far are the mountains from corbin? whats the land like around corbin? I was reading something it said corbin lies in 2 counties and it causes problems with taxes does anyone know anything about that? how much trouble does it cause?
Corbin's city limits are in Whitley and Knox Counties and there was a problem involving the occupational tax I believe and it was resolved. The southside of Corbin is very hilly and the northside has scattered flat land along with small hills. Close to downtown, some of the residential areas are on hills.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:07 AM

108 posts, read 452,251 times
Quote:
I realize they are not mountainous, but i am willing to compromise on that some what, are they near mountains? is it poor looking with run down buildings,and abandoned lots like alot of west virginia is? How is the job market? i have a cdl class b and more than likely will be looking for manufactoring work or transfering with my company which is home depot is there one near by? How is the crime?
Ashland isn't that bad...I should know, since I live in the Ashland area. I'd call the area "hilly" instead of mountainous. If you travel about an hour to the east or south, you'll begin to see "real" mountains. These aren't the huge mountains that you see in the western U.S., but they're definitely mountains and offer plenty of recreational activities. From the Ashland area, you can make easy day trips to places like Red River Gorge, Natural Bridge, and Breaks Interstate Park, as well as several lakes and state parks.

Ashland is a small industrial town. It's like most other places...it has nicer neighborhoods and not-so-nice neighborhoods. When I say "not-so-nice neighborhoods," I don't mean unsafe places full of empty houses and vacant lots. These are simply neighborhoods with modest, older houses, some of which are suffering from neglect. I'd break down the neighborhoods like this:

25% very nice with beautiful houses, mature trees, etc.
50% decent, well-maintained middle class homes
15% pretty small older houses but still generally well-maintained
10% in bad shape, some just need a paint job and others need to be torn down altogether

The downtown business district has a few vacant buildings, but I'd estimate that at least 80-85% of downtown buildings are occupied and a few more are in the process of being remodeled. This is actually an improvement over ten years ago. The riverfront is largely filled with industrial businesses, although the city is planning to carve out a little space for a riverfront park. These industrial businesses (especially on the south side of town) are not exactly attractive to look at. Unfortunately, people often pass through town along Rt. 23, which bypasses the main business district and travels along the river (right by all the industries). People from out of town see all the "ugly stuff" but almost none of the nice parts of town. This gives people the impression that Ashland is a poor, depressing place, but this is really only a small part of the whole picture. I'm not going to pretend that Ashland is some kind of thriving metropolis with cutural activities to rival New York City, but it's not a bad place to raise a family. The local economy isn't great, but the hospitals have added a lot of jobs and some of the larger industrial employers have been doing better over the last couple of years.

The nearest Home Depot is in Barboursville, which is just east of Huntington. It's about 25-30 miles from Ashland, depending on what part of town you live in. As far as crime is concerned, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Ashland is a fairly safe city.

I may try to take some pictures of the local area this week and post them on this site.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:53 PM

108 posts, read 452,251 times
Default Pictures of the Ashland area

Okay, I stumbled upon a few pictures of the Ashland area on Wikimedia Commons today:

Downtown Ashland

Catlettsburg, the county seat of Boyd County (there's not much there but it has a lot of history)

I'll see if I can find some pictures of rural areas, too.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:53 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Very nice pictures, The Village Idiot. It has probably been 14-16 years since I was last in Boyd Co. and I remember visiting Ashland, Cannonsburg and Catlettsburg. All I remember, really, was a small shopping mall and a lot of mountains. I may well just owe Boyd Co. another trip.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:23 AM

246 posts, read 1,056,883 times
Default highliner

If you have a transferable CDL A or B, then you'll find plenty of available jobs around Ashland/Boyd County, Ky. This area is home to several metals and aggregate industries, all of which are, to some degree, truck dependent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky