Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 01:44 PM

31 posts, read 156,499 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have our house up for sale,in Toledo, and have been seriously considering moving to the Knoxville area. Although, the more I read, the more I think about KY. I have family in London, although I don't know how popular a town that is!
Of course, I have the usual concerns, but need to pick a place to maybe move to before I look in to schools and jobs. Is there a place anyone can recommend? We have ourselves, in our late 20's, and a 4 year old, and one year old. He is a carpenter (union) and I am a medical biller.
Any suggestions/comments will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 05:59 AM

39 posts, read 150,616 times
You might look into Oldham or Shelby County Kentucky. Both are about 20 - 30 min. from downtown Louisville and there should be a lot of job opportunities for both of you in or around these counties. Both counties are close enough to the city that you can go in town for work, doctors, shopping, etc.. but far enough away that you can enjoy the beauty that KY has to offer. Not that Oldham and Shelby don't offer these things themselves but you will have more of an option by going into eastern Jefferson County. Another area you might look into is Glasgow in Barren County KY. It is located on Barren River Lake and is a beautiful town, about 30 min. from Bowling Green and about 35 min from TN. It is a growing city with a booming construction industry which might be good for your husband. Either place would great for raising a young family, let me know if you have any questions I'd be happy to help!

Old 06-13-2007, 11:24 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,800,175 times
Default Barren County

IIRC, Barren County was profiled in Progressive Farmer magazine a few months ago as one of the best places to live in the USA. I've only driven through in the past, so can't offer any further info, but next trip up will include some stops there for a little on-the-ground looksee.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:03 PM

88 posts, read 383,580 times
About London:
You won't find sterile and semi-pretentious neighborhoods with Barnes & Noble, Target, Borders Books, Kohl's, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. Rather, you'll find a small town with comfortable housing (most houses are plain, less than 4000 sq. ft., are relatively cheap, and don't have outrageous property taxes.) You'll find Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrel, 2 or 3 McDonald's, Office Depot, a movie theater, Ruby Tuesday, and maybe a Lowe's. If you even want to get you hands on any alcohol, there are a FEW restaurants in Corbin that serve it, and even at that the Blue Laws are in effect (no alcohol on Sunday.) (Corbin is the most "progressive" community in SE Kentucky, as it is one of the first to legalize any kind of alcohol sales.)

Nevertheless, if you're looking for a quiet, relatively safe place to settle down, raise a family, and enjoy the fresh air, London might just do the trick.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:44 PM

31 posts, read 156,499 times
Thanks! My husband wants to go to Tennessee so he can see the mountains. I'm still working on KY though!

Old 07-05-2007, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,575 times
I'm also my be moving from Georgia to Kentucky. I will be working mostly in Louisville, but also working in Lexington too. Where is the best county to live in? I would like to get a few acres of land, so the property taxes are a concern. I also will need high speed internet access since I will be working from home. I read that cable TV and cable modem service is very expensive there.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:55 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,094,841 times
rbourg maybe shelby county?

Old 07-05-2007, 01:35 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,760,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbourg View Post
I'm also my be moving from Georgia to Kentucky. I will be working mostly in Louisville, but also working in Lexington too. Where is the best county to live in? I would like to get a few acres of land, so the property taxes are a concern. I also will need high speed internet access since I will be working from home. I read that cable TV and cable modem service is very expensive there.
I agree with above, definitely Shelby County. I find the area around Simpsonville to be beautiful country with cheap homes and lots of land. 30 minutes to downtown Louisville with no traffic, and 40 minutes to downtown Lexington from there. You are probably going to want to be closer to Louisville because traffic plays a factor on Louisville freeways whereas Lexington almost never has freeway traffic, but rather some bad congestion on secondary roads, of which Nicholasville Road is notorious.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,780 times
Default I'm thinking of moving to KY too

Can anyone tell me how KY is? My husband and I are thinking of moving in the higher parts of KY since we hear its really nice. I'm hispanic and of course racial tension is really important to me since growing up in the mountains of Northern Ca all I have ever gotten around here are looks. I keep reading awful stories of racial attacks and just wondering how things are these days?

Old 07-05-2007, 05:47 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,760,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalgirl79 View Post
Can anyone tell me how KY is? My husband and I are thinking of moving in the higher parts of KY since we hear its really nice. I'm hispanic and of course racial tension is really important to me since growing up in the mountains of Northern Ca all I have ever gotten around here are looks. I keep reading awful stories of racial attacks and just wondering how things are these days?
There is no more racial tension in KY than anywhere else in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky