Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:39 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times

Advertisements

There are several uses of the term "panther" Dixie.

One is a term used for the a jaguar, often called a "black panther".

Another is a regional usage for the animal also known as a cougar, mountain lion, or puma. Historically the term was quite common in the American southest and midwest. If ole Daniel Boone ran into a "cougar" he probably called it a "panther".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 11:46 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
It makes sense from an ecological prospective: Kentucky has the most deer and turkeys per square mile of any state in the union, so if there's anywhere that could support an appex predator it would be here. The Eden Shale area of Northern Kentucky has tons of deer, so it would make sense that that area would have the most sightings

I always love the responses of the state fish & game services which will deny that bears/ cougars exist in an area despite numerous credible sightings. There were Black Bear sightings in the Adair/ Russell/ Casey Cos areas for 10 years before f & g admitted that bears did exist in those areas.

Black panthers are quite rare, most cougars/ panthers/ mountain lions look like this:
http://www.austinschools.org/campus/small/images/wildcat-cougar.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-20-2008, 11:51 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,847 times
I remember as a little girl, I couldn't keep a cat. My parents didn't DO inside animals, so they were at the mercy of predators. Bobcats got them all- once Dad shot one coming around the house. He was BEAUTIFUL, golden brown and heavily muscled- but so dangerous.
When I was smaller than that, a panther (painter ;-) got on the roof of our trailer and walked back and forth, crying. (the housesite was carved out of the hillside, so the cat literally lept the few feet from the woods to the roof) What a bonechilling sound that was!

Old 06-20-2008, 12:02 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
I'll be on the lookout. I remember hearing tales of a panther behind my grandma's house when I was little. Those tales kept me out of the woods.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:30 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
There are several uses of the term "panther" Dixie.

One is a term used for the a jaguar, often called a "black panther".

Another is a regional usage for the animal also known as a cougar, mountain lion, or puma. Historically the term was quite common in the American southest and midwest. If ole Daniel Boone ran into a "cougar" he probably called it a "panther".

Panthers and cougars are not indigenous to Kentucky now, maybe they were years ago. I think it is just a misnomer. Although some do swear they have spotted black panthers on and off in Kentucky.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:23 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
The date on the story I posted at the top of this thread was from Jan. 2007 - why has this not made any other news agencies?

I think with fewer people hunting nowandays the return of an apex predator is healthy for KY's ecology, but shouldn't people now what's up? Panthers can put a beating on livestock. There was one panther in NC a few years ago that killed 30 cattle and several dogs in a few months. They tend to be more aggressive with people than any other large predator in North America, killing 50 people since 1991 (compared with 40 bear attack fatalites in the same period)

Old 06-20-2008, 04:57 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,852 times

Wildcat

Bobcat & Kitten

Bobcat Kittens

Anyone here ever hear a Wildcat scream about 50 yards from you? Let me tell you from experience, it's nice if you have a change of clothes and a roll of Charmin handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Mountain Lions/ Cougars back in Kentucky!-bobcat.bmp  

Old 06-20-2008, 05:22 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
A panther is black, a wildcat is brown spotted and mingled. UK's mascot is a Kentucky wildcat which is known as a bobcat also.
There are black panthers which are truly leopards that are black. Mountain lions, pumas, and cougars are the same while wildcats are smaller and spotted. We have mountain lions and wildcats at the zoo.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:24 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
There is something called a Florida panther which is very rare which resembles a cougar as well.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:56 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
There is something called a Florida panther which is very rare which resembles a cougar as well.

Yes, it looks more like a big wildcat. Are they called a golden panther?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky