Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,511 times

Advertisements

Not much argument any more. Cop shot one in Bourbon County yesterday or today. Had prints in the garden last year, near big Spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,376 times
Here in eastern ky and in West Virginia they are refered to as painters. Pronounced just the way it is spelled.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:19 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,569 times
my grandfather saw one in western Kentucky back in the 70's while coon hunting. He was featured in a hunting magazine with a full articlle......I think it was "Kentucky Afield"

interesting the creek bottoms where he saw it were called "Panther Creek" says so on the map, even to this day.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,336 times
My dad was driving from Pine Knot to Williamsburg years ago and saw a Bobcat. It crossed the road and jumped up the side of a steep dirt cliff.

While I was living in Paintsville in 2013, I heard something attack and eat a dog in the woods. The poor things yelped and screamed for what seemed like ages, then it got quiet and all I heard was munching and tearing. Grabbed a shotgun and a camera and tried to find it, but it moved around. It was dark as hell and I never did see it. Spent a few hours looking for clues the next day but couldn't see a thing. No blood, no doggy body, no tracks, nothing.

A few months earlier my sister had heard kittens being eaten.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,006 times
Default Big Cat sighting on Ft. Knox

I was driving this into work this morning and saw a large tan cat prowling along side a cedar thick it near Wilson rd. It looked to weigh about 75-90 lbs with a long tail. Iv'e hunted all my life and have seen Bobcats in the wild but never nothing this size. It looked like a lion and my first thouht was Mountain lion but it did freak me out.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:59 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfreddie1 View Post
While I was living in Paintsville in 2013, I heard something attack and eat a dog in the woods. The poor things yelped and screamed for what seemed like ages, then it got quiet and all I heard was munching and tearing. Grabbed a shotgun and a camera and tried to find it, but it moved around. It was dark as hell and I never did see it. Spent a few hours looking for clues the next day but couldn't see a thing. No blood, no doggy body, no tracks, nothing.
Ahh...the elusive Chupacabra!

Old 04-28-2016, 01:46 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
I live CA and it's just a fact of life here that they live among us even in the Los Angeles area. In general, they avoid people and encounters are fairly rare.
A couple of weeks ago, a public school had to go on lockdown because one strolled onto campus. It was tranquilized and moved back into the mountains. Turns out it was a very healthy younger male, making it's rounds and checking out it's territory. They are always tagged for identification purposes.
Here, they are accepted and seen as part of the natural environment. Hunting them at this point is prohibited.

Last edited by marino760; 04-28-2016 at 01:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky